What's everyone think of UCI???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got an interview here...Should I go?

I was recently accepted to Mount Sinai but I do love California....not sure I would ever go to UCI over Sinai..but who knows...any opinions on UCI????

This is university of california at Irvine...(NOT UIC)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should skip it. I've always been a little skeptical of UCI and am not a big Southern California fan (except San Diego).

I really like Sinai and its program. And in my opinion Manhattan is worlds better than Irvine (sorry to anyone who goes to UCI).

Then again, this is just my opinion. If you really have a strong preference for being in California, going to the interview couldn't hurt (if cost isn't a problem).

what kind of two-bit operation do they run over at uc-irvine? i tell you, as a california resident i want to back up the uc's, but man uci seems shady. just try calling them, if anyone picks up the phone its a miracle. the hospital is like a twenty minute freeway ride from the school, but it does seem really nice. i just can't imagine being happy there, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
man cal7449 :)

you're the opposite of me. southern california is the best place on earth for me. scooby doo, i'd definitely go.

i would also go to any u.c. school over any nyc school. but just like cal7449, this is my preference :D

of course, i already withdrew from uci because of ucsd, but uci rules! i worked at the hospital over the center. the doctors are topnotch, the facilites are state of the art and very clean and modern, what can beat 80degrees all year?, and by the way, did i mention that the uci med school girls are very attractive :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Cal7449:
•I think you should skip it. I've always been a little skeptical of UCI and am not a big Southern California fan (except San Diego).

I really like Sinai and its program. And in my opinion Manhattan is worlds better than Irvine (sorry to anyone who goes to UCI).

Then again, this is just my opinion. If you really have a strong preference for being in California, going to the interview couldn't hurt (if cost isn't a problem).•••••

I go to a nyc school, but I gotta say that the girls at UCI are waay cuter. ANd this, I base on the average at Einstein, Cornell, Sinai, and NYU. I haven't met enough Columbia people to judge yet..

UCI seems to have some scandals going on as of recently....Cali is great and all, but would I want to go to a school that does not even rank over say a top 10 school? Just to stay in Cali?

There are cute girls everywhere. I don't want to date in my class if that opportunity arises...leads to too many complications. NYC girls are hot..I was just there....Lots of them. I'm not sure how the Irvine med students are...but I need to call Irvine today and let them know if I accept their invitation...grrrr....

UCI...WEAK!!! but I might go to their post bac program..so we'll see how it goes...Did you know that they will keep you in their program as long as you keep a 3.0 GPA in their "competitive" upper division science courses....but it's all good. I heard that most of the UCI-post bac people get an "automatic" acceptance at UCI med school...we'll see how it goes...

i don't know who told you that Dr. Don....that is not true at all.

You could always just go and use it as an excuse to go to the beach:) Ahh...sun....

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dr. Don:
•UCI...WEAK!!! but I might go to their post bac program..so we'll see how it goes...Did you know that they will keep you in their program as long as you keep a 3.0 GPA in their "competitive" upper division science courses....but it's all good. I heard that most of the UCI-post bac people get an "automatic" acceptance at UCI med school...we'll see how it goes...•••••Is there a link to their post-bacc program??

UCI is a great school. I like it because I'm from Orange County. It is really different from NY, as is any city in California. It all depends what you look for in a school/area you want to live in.

Well, I interviewed at UCI, and I'll admit that before interviewing I was very unexcited about the school and almost didn't go. But I did go in the end...and I have to say that I was rather impressed with the school (although the admissions office and their failure to answer the phone drives me insane!)...lots of money, nice facilities, fairly laid back class...curriculum seemed good, etc.

BUT, that said, I did not really "click" with the school and I would not go. So, I guess what I am trying to say is...if you really like Sinai and have no real reason to go to UCI other than that it is California, I wouldn't bother. But, if you have the time and maybe are still looking around (ie Sinai isn't exactly what you want), then I would give UCI a try.

altaskier, look it up under UCI college of medicine, it'll be there...

Here is the thing, I know lots of bost pacs there and you are not guaranteed a spot in the program, even if you do well as a post bac. I don't know why they state that.

I mean, unless the policy just changed this year.

UCI? Good school. I have hard time rating any school by the "top 10" status because most ratings only stress "primary care" or "research" and don't emphasize some other importants aspects about a school. Anyways, I definitely know a first tier school when I see one and UCI is a 2nd tier at most if that's of importance. Otherwise, if you don't mind living in a "suburban" utopia over the NYC type "urban" flavor, UCI would be a good fit. It's close to the beach.

Only thing I didn't like was that the hospital was 12 miles away! And the campus isn't really in a city like you would see UCLA or NYC schools...etc.

peace, wyldstyle2000