Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What's everyone up to?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Duke, Mar 22, 1999.

1. Duke

Duke Member
    10+ Year Member

I was just curious what everyone going to school this year is doing? I work full time and go to school at night. It kind of sucks. I like the job, and the people there. But I have very little free time to myself before the long haul.
    I actually thought that when I got accepted, I would quit my job and go have fun. But that hasn't happend yet. What is everyone else doing?
    By the way if you want to know, I like to play basketball, skateboard, go out with my girlfriend, and play video games. I guess it's not the typical type of hobbies a med student should have, but it works for me.
    I also like to cruise by here and see what's up. Lot of confrontation recently, I wonder if it's because of finals...Or med school interviews..
    Duke [​IMG]

2. summerb

summerb Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Duke,

I'm working full time as well, and have been for the past 2 years, at Boeing for the International Space Station. Not very related to medicine, but who said I couldn't experience other things first. I'll be using up my vacation time at work between now and the time that I quit my job (end of June) to go to Guatemala and then to Tobago. After I quit I'll enjoy a month of free time to beach bum it around here in So. Cal before heading to UHS. That also allows me time to pack up and drive half way across the country with all my stuff.
    Are you still planning to quit your job and have some fun before heading off to med school? Perhaps quitting 5 months ahead of time is a little drastic because we all have to eat between now and August (or Sept). But I like the idea of racking up some great memories that can save my sanity while plugging away at my studies for the next... oh hell, the rest of my life. j/k Four years isn't that long.
    Hey, who laid out any rules for what a med student should have as hobbies? [​IMG] Skateboard away!!!

Summer

3. premed1

premed1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi All,

I will be graduating on May 14th and since I am a hall director at my school I am obligated to stay until May 17th at noon. After that I will drive to Charleston, SC. Once in Charleston I will get on a 46 foot sailboat and race to Bermuda (May 22nd is the start of the race). I think that it will take about 4 days to sail there. After partying in Bermuda I will get back on the boat and sail to Martha's Vineyard, where the owner stores the boat. From there I will be taking a train back to Charleston to get my truck. I will drive to Atlanta, where I will get on a plane and fly to London for about 10 days. Once back to the states I will help my parents with their annual 4th of July party (we usually have 125-175 people attend). For the next 2-3 weeks I will spend time with my family and then head off to school.

Premed1

4. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well I don't know about anyone else but I want to spend my free time this summer with Premed1. Expecially on the sailing trip. I love to sail but have never been on a boat longer than 12 feet.

Seriously I will graduate May 15th and then will probably try to work all summer so that I can have a little extra money next year. I would like to also take some time off to travel around the midwest (where I am from) and visit family. I will probably head to Kirksville and KCOM sometime I just don't know when.

5. epilido

epilido Member
    10+ Year Member

I also work full time...as an emergency nurse. Once we find and buy a house, we will move closer to AZCOM (200 miles from present location). I plan to continue working, for a different hospital, full time for summer then part time during school. Sometime in May, I hope to hike Paria Canyon http://paria.az.blm.gov/pariapre.html
    with my honey and our two dogs. In June, we will join some of my family at the north rim of the Grand Canyon. In July and August, we will hide in the air conditioning, drink beer, and read paperbacks.
    Good luck to all!

[This message has been edited by epilido (edited 03-22-99).]

[This message has been edited by epilido (edited 03-22-99).]

6. NickCVM

NickCVM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm WORKING !!!- ..joy, joy..
    It sucks, ever since I got in all I've been thinking about is quitting my job and take a long, LONG vacation until school stars.
    Realistically speaking, that will never happened. I'm hopping to be able to go down to Florida for a week right before school stars (early Jul maybe.)
    Nicolas
    WesternU'03

7. Sheon

Sheon Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow, the idea of quitting the job and relaxing sounds so very delicious after 2+ years as a pre-med. I haven't applied yet, but the thought of no more working during the day classes in the evening and studying at night for a few months certainly sounds tempting.

Being that you all seem to have the aceptance letters in your pockets, do you have any helpful hints for me as a move toward application time?

8. ReneeWB

ReneeWB Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am spending every minute that I can doing fun things with my family. I will be living apart from them during the week while I go to school. So, we are going to do as much as we can before August. I want to take my kids to the Bronx Zoo and into NYC to see the sights. We are also hoping to make it up to Canada this summer also. So much to do and so little time. [​IMG]

9. cliff

cliff Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey all.

I am working full time right now also. After working in a research lab for two years I have taken the last year off from the serious science/life/death arena. I have a damn good gig going in the Santa Monica (by the beach) studio of a Hollywood Co. that edits music videos, movies, and commercials. It sounds cool but is a hell of a lot of work. It was plan B, if the doctor thing had not worked out. Sigh.......thank goodness.

I admit than I am jealous of Premed1's good life. I am going to quit and take some time off myself. I am going to Boston, 1st week in May, to be in 1 of my friend's weddings and then am working on some travel plans that will be cheap. Europe and different beaches are calling before going to the middle of america. A backpack, some clean places to sleep, and lots of cheap food...

I admit that I am so happy to not be in school having to take finals, waiting to start. It is real nice to be able to walk away from a job knowing that the next stage of life is a definite with a specific start date.

g-luck to all. Get all the travel bugs out before school. Go and have some fun, let it be camping, partying, or blowing off steam traveling. We are going to get worked for the next 2 years and we are going to have to bust our asses to pass. Know that we are damn lucky to be in and I can not imagine it getting any easier before it gets harder.

If anyone does find their way to Southern Cal find me.

------------------

10. edgar

edgar Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Y'all,

Right now I have a road trip planned at the end of May from here in Northern California to Eugene, Oregon and then Seattle, Washington and back. It will be fun, I've never gone on a road trip like this without my parents. I still turn green with envy when I hear about Premed1's travel plans, he sure knows how to live it up.

Sheon, I wish you best of luck with the application process, your credentials and determination are very impressive. The only advice I can give is to take the April MCAT and then send in your AMCAS/ACCOMAS application in by June 1st, the first day they start accepting apps. I got all my stuff early in the game and got interviews in September and admitted in October. And it is also not too early to ask your professors/employers/physicians for letters of recommendation. Give them plenty of time in advance because they are all very busy and may have other letters to write for other pre-meds.

So, any of you accepteds up to the challenge of being a mole person for the next 4 years of medical school?

EDGAR
    Class of 2003
    WesternU/COMP

11. I am going to spend two weeks in Ft. Lauderdale with Gregory and Henry. Then I am off to SO. Cal to visit Edgar and Nicolas. I may swing back to Florida to make sure everything is going ok for my two favorite NOVA students before I start school myself. WOW! This is going to be the best summer ever!!!

12. IUHoosier

IUHoosier Member
    10+ Year Member

summerb--- I was wondering if you knew anything or also had an interest in aerospace medicine. I received info on it and because of my childhood fancies I am extremely interested in it. What does it take to get into the program? If you have any info that would be great.

As for what I am doing on my off time ( I graduated in Dec), I have been working and vegging. Its been great. I also just got back from Florida on a seven fishing and tanning trip. Loved it. Should of looked you up Gregory. Sorry. Now I am saving up again for my month long excursion in Europe. Premed1, maybe we'll run into eachother. I haven't had a chance to do anything like this for a long while so I am taking advantage of it. Too bad it can't be like this all the time. HE HE!

See ya,

Josh

13. Viv

Viv Member
    10+ Year Member

Reading all of y'all posts make me turn green with envy. I haven't a clue what to do till school starts. I wanted to have lots of traveling activities, but because of money constraint and my bf still in school, I don't think it's ever gonna be feasible. Well, guess I'll just plan something cheap, like a road trip to somewhere. Have a fantastic time traveling and enjoy whatever's left of your so call "life" before med school. Viviane

14. Diane E

Diane E Member
    10+ Year Member

Like most of you I too will work close to schools start. But like premed1, I am living up the fun while I have T-I-M-E and money. My husband and I are going to as many concerts as possible (last one was Rolling Stones), going to culinary events (last one was a wine dinner I helped my husband execute), and taking in as many cruises as possible with the Corvette Clubs (last one we hosted was down to the Virginia wineries). I already know several clubs in Kansas City area but I doubt I'll have little time to show or race our vettes when school starts. I also am very active in a Toastmasters Club (a club where you practice your public speaking) and I plan on continuing my involvement at a location near Kansas City MO where I will be attending school at UHS. The main goal now is packing and making contacts in MO, as we will be moving in June, giving me enough time to relax and adjust to changing gears--getting away from medical research into becoming a student.

I am excited for all of you and I hope you too get a chance to do something fun. It will give you a time to reflect upon during your memorizing sessions of Anatomy. [​IMG] Diane

------------------