What's happening at UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms_perfect10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in the UCLA program and am looking for any insight anyone has as to the current status of the program. I ask since they had to scramble someone into their one available slot.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

The reason they had to scramble someone was due to a paperwork snafu -- they're NRMP number was miscoded, so it screwed people who were ranking them. There is nothing wrong with UCLA plastics. It was a huge irregularity.

blue2000 said:
The reason they had to scramble someone was due to a paperwork snafu -- they're NRMP number was miscoded, so it screwed people who were ranking them. There is nothing wrong with UCLA plastics. It was a huge irregularity.

Huge irregularity? Paperwork snafu?

You don't think it might have something to do with the fact that they only interviewed 10 or so people for the spot?

Or that it's a combined program with 4 full years of g-surg?

You think those 10 or so people who were interviewed didn't have other interviews at better programs and decided to rank them higher (and matched successfully)?

They did. It's not just a "paperwork snafu". That's just damage control, and to dismiss what happened this year as a "huge irregularity" is remarkably arrogant, as though it's preposterous to think that UCLA wasn't the most sought-after plastics program. It wasn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard talk that it was due to some possible irregularities at UCLA. Talk was that they knew they wouldn't match the spot and could then take an internal candidate. Don't know how this ever panned out or if it was just sour grapes by some folks that didn't match there, but something else to think about.

i talked with folks that interviewed there...really liked it. they did not give me an interview...anyway, i was not aware of the shennanigans ongoing at UCLA...its a good program.

navysurgeon said:
i talked with folks that interviewed there...really liked it. they did not give me an interview...anyway, i was not aware of the shennanigans ongoing at UCLA...its a good program.

are you talking about fellowship applicants, or med students applying for the combined program? the problems this year with ucla affected the latter; i haven't heard any stories about the fellowship.

They interviewed only 10 people for the fellowship and there were 2 positions. It seemed like a very good program. They matched one person from UCLA and one from Mass General.

mcindoe said:
are you talking about fellowship applicants, or med students applying for the combined program? the problems this year with ucla affected the latter; i haven't heard any stories about the fellowship.

I agree with Mcindoe. My friend was 1 of the 10 special people to interview at UCLA and he got the vibe that the spot was already locked up by an internal candidate on interview day. By the way, Mcindoe where are you headed for plastics? Thanks MS

isn't mcindoe already in a combined program?

mcindoe said:

I was indeed talking about the combined program. Thanks for the responses so far.

navysurgeon said:
isn't mcindoe already in a combined program?

No, an integrated program. I'm a PGY-1.