What's in a name- Distance learning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vbmith

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working towards my bachelor's degree online through excelsior college. I am nervous about medical schools having any policies (official or unofficial) about degrees earned online. Has anyone had any problem with their distance learning bachelor's being respected enough to meet the admissions requirements?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've heard, you may want to be prepared on WHY you chose to do a distance learning program, or online program. Is it that you are passionate about the field your degree pertains to (as if you had a backup plan), or that it made it easier to take care of your children? Whatever it is, explain that to them at your interview or personal statement! Many of the programs are very writing intensive - I know they have a few at my school, and they write 1500-2000 word essays every week (sometimes 2 essays, per week), and have to participate in class discussions a great deal to make the grade. I'm taking an online class right now, and it's totally kicking my butt in the work load area.
A Bachelors is all you need to apply. You obviously cant take your pre-reqs online if they have a lab (unless there is a virtual lab, lol?), so do well in those. Show that you can get good grades in those classes and the MCAT of course, and I don't see them questioning your intelligence.

I have a bachelor's and a master's degree (exp. in june) but the colleges are not properly accredited (Nationally but nt regionally accredited). My degee has been espected by NYU, Columbia etc' but osteopathic programs are stricter when it comes to degree accreditation.
I have completed my pre-req at a real university that I am transferring to excelsior so that I can complete my degee.