What's it going to take to match anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regarding the “starting over” - ERAS has a section that asks something like “During medical school, have you ever been on academic probation, if yes - explain.” (Not word for word but a version of it)
I think that’s obvious. The question is specifically how it impacts class rank and AOA. And honestly anything we might say here is just speculation—the OP just needs to read the student handbook, and if it’s not outlined there then ask directly

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that’s obvious. The question is specifically how it impacts class rank and AOA. And honestly anything we might say here is just speculation—the OP just needs to read the student handbook, and if it’s not outlined there then ask directly
It’s obvious for anyone who has seen ERAS. I wasn’t sure if it’s obvious for the OP, that’s why I thought it’s worth mentioning.

With regards to AOA it’s often the chapter’s decision and they frequently frown upon any deviation from the standard path. I’d listen to the group that says “One step at a time now. Let’s first get to Step 1 and think about specialties and AOA later.” Even if the OP knows what went wrong and how to remedy it who’s to say that the new system will work without flaws? Nobody comes to med school to fail intentionally. OP came up with a study system that did not work. I’d advise to involve the school and academic counseling as much as possible next year.

Reactions: 4 users
Sure AOA maybe possible, it maybe outlined in your student handbook. Research is possible too sure, there are some ways to get published easily and other not so easy ways. I sense you are wanting to partake in multiple activities and will speed yourself thin.

Your focus should be on completing your coursework and clinical years without any more hiccups. Pass step 1 first attempt and do well on step2. If you can get off probation and get it removed completely that would be good too, the crap thing is sometimes state license forms, credentialaling and privileging applications as you about probation status during training years. They may still ask about why it took you an extra year for medical school.

Trust me that just the beginning of the questions they like to ask..

I believe you mentioned you know what you need to do different next time, which good but take a step back and reflect on the whole thing, You are smart enough to get into a US MD, I think you’ll be just fine going forward if you focus on what you need to do. It’s a long road ahead. Keep calm and carry on. Stay focused on what’s important going forward.
Regarding the “starting over” - ERAS has a section that asks something like “During medical school, have you ever been on academic probation, if yes - explain.” (Not word for word but a version of it)

I am 100% focused on getting back on track and passing my pre-clinical classes. I get it, this situation is bad and stressful. Ive also involved my academic support team from my school to help me

I am very confident I can get my probation removed upon successful completion of the first year (The promotions committee promised me they would do this, they also said if I did extremely well first semester then I could petition to get it removed early)

I knew this would come up during residency apps. But, after residency? Is anyone going to care/ask during my career? I assumed that once I hopefully matched into a residency somewhere that the failed year would become irrelevant and no one would ask/ care?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody will care. Medical boards may ask about probation but they probably don’t care.

Reactions: 1 user