What's it like to have a patient die?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UOP123321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know i am still an incoming freshman at undergraduate university, and this is my first semester.
And usually patients don't die at a dental office or during a dental surgery, but how does it feel when a patient dies and you was his dentist and you know that you could done something to save them ?

Members don't see this ad.

It's tough, but you move on. Happens all the time. We've all experienced it here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait what? Is it common to have patients die in a dental office (Common as in like once every few years)?

Wait what? Is it common to have patients die in a dental office (Common as in like once every few years)?

I work in a hospital lab as a medical lab scientist and a few years ago a 24? yr male presented with and infection that turned into endocarditis after having his wisdom teeth pulled and subsequently passed away about a week later. It's very sad, but it does happen. Not a result of non-sterile dental equipment but more so of bacteria causing gingivitis entering the bloodstream during a procedure.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic lol, but some do die from oral cancers and it's more common than one would think.

I work in a hospital lab as a medical lab scientist and a few years ago a 24? yr male presented with and infection that turned into endocarditis after having his wisdom teeth pulled and subsequently passed away about a week later. It's very sad, but it does happen. Not a result of non-sterile dental equipment but more so of bacteria causing gingivitis entering the bloodstream during a procedure.

Jeeze, that's harsh. Closest thing to an injury at a dental office I've seen was a lady who got a huge concussion after standing up too fast and falling post nitrous.

That would be porphyromonas gingivalis causing bacteremia. Happens more often than you would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just trying to be a GP. As long as I hold the scalpel with two hands like my 7th grade bio teacher taught me then I hopefully will not have to experience this.

That would be porphyromonas gingivalis causing bacteremia. Happens more often than you would think.

Hell ya boii that porphyromanos gingivalis is a tough bacteria.

funny you bring this up. i had a patient die on me in clinic just last week.

how else was i going to stop the screaming?

Reactions: 1 users
Buh dum tch! ^^

If you want to know what it's like to have patients die talk to trauma surgeons. They're the most strangely disconnected doctors with regards to death. It's a "meh, it happens" attitude every time.

I actually change my mind it isn't porphyromonas gingivais. I just had a lecture on this today, any endocarditis/pericarditis will be caused usually by Staph or Strep infections from the normal flora.
Thanks for the input, HookahLungs
No, thank you

i work in the O.R. setting and we see people die of trauma, coding, etc, all the time.
When you first see it, you feel something, but you get pretty desensitized, like someone above me said "meh it happens" kind of attitude.
It's not that they don't have a feeling, it's just that they did their best, and if patients die, it is what it is.

You can't let that get to you. You gotta keep saving other lives.

But why the hell are you worrying about this if you are going to be a dentist? not something that you should look forward to if you are going to be a general practitioner.

If you are gonna be something like OMFS, then you might have more chance of seeing complications.

Worry about this later, and worry about your chem / bio final buddy!

and "you was his dentist" what the hell?