What's Life In The Caribbean Like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US Citizen who is seriously considering going to Medical School in the Caribbean if I don't get a US accceptance.

For those of you who are Americans and students in the Top 4. What is life like living in the Caribbean? Did you find it to be a difficult transition? What is the food like? Is there are large percentage of American students? What do you like most about life in the Caribbean? What do you like least about life in the Caribbean?

Please feel free to share anything else you feel worth mentioning.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a US Citizen who is seriously considering going to Medical School in the Caribbean if I don't get a US accceptance.

For those of you who are Americans and students in the Top 4. What is life like living in the Caribbean? Did you find it to be a difficult transition? What is the food like? Is there are large percentage of American students? What do you like most about life in the Caribbean? What do you like least about life in the Caribbean?

Please feel free to share anything else you feel worth mentioning.

It isnt much different than back home. Look your in class all day, you could be in New York, LA or anywhere. Only time I'm home to sleep and study, all you need is a desk and a bed. Only difference is food, depends on the island but there isnt a Walmart or Kroger, you have tiny stores the size of 7-11's here. But its doable, if I can do it anyone can.

It isnt much different than back home. Look your in class all day, you could be in New York, LA or anywhere. Only time I'm home to sleep and study, all you need is a desk and a bed. Only difference is food, depends on the island but there isnt a Walmart or Kroger, you have tiny stores the size of 7-11's here. But its doable, if I can do it anyone can.

What year are you at SABA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most islands are developing nations with poor people, on a very relaxed schedule.

If you have never travelled outside of the US then you are in for a huge shock.

Most islands are developing nations with poor people, on a very relaxed schedule.

If you have never travelled outside of the US then you are in for a huge shock.

Are you and SabaMed the same person? Or do you just happen to have the same avatar?

Can other students in the Caribbean share their experiences about life there, compared to the United States?

Can other students in the Caribbean share their experiences about life there, compared to the United States?

You would find plenty of personal experiences on valuemd.com

Just search through the threads on the respective boards. Just keep in mind that many who post often are jaded and might be bitter. Many happy students are too busy studying:)