SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

What's Life In The Caribbean Like?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by IWant2BeADoctor, May 16, 2007.

1. IWant2BeADoctor

IWant2BeADoctor License to Matriculate 2+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Maryland
    I'm a US Citizen who is seriously considering going to Medical School in the Caribbean if I don't get a US accceptance.

For those of you who are Americans and students in the Top 4. What is life like living in the Caribbean? Did you find it to be a difficult transition? What is the food like? Is there are large percentage of American students? What do you like most about life in the Caribbean? What do you like least about life in the Caribbean?

Please feel free to share anything else you feel worth mentioning.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SabaMed

SabaMed 2+ Year Member

Sep 9, 2006
    It isnt much different than back home. Look your in class all day, you could be in New York, LA or anywhere. Only time I'm home to sleep and study, all you need is a desk and a bed. Only difference is food, depends on the island but there isnt a Walmart or Kroger, you have tiny stores the size of 7-11's here. But its doable, if I can do it anyone can.

4. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM 10+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Stony Brook, NY
    What year are you at SABA?

5. McGillGrad

McGillGrad Building Mind and Body 10+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Most islands are developing nations with poor people, on a very relaxed schedule.

If you have never travelled outside of the US then you are in for a huge shock.

6. bwells46

bwells46 MD, MPH, MSM 10+ Year Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Stony Brook, NY
    Are you and SabaMed the same person? Or do you just happen to have the same avatar?

7. McGillGrad

Dec 21, 2002

He likes my avatar. He borrowed it a while back.

8. Can other students in the Caribbean share their experiences about life there, compared to the United States?

9. McGillGrad

Dec 21, 2002
    You would find plenty of personal experiences on valuemd.com

Just search through the threads on the respective boards. Just keep in mind that many who post often are jaded and might be bitter. Many happy students are too busy studying:)