What's medical school like in Singapore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winter

Googleholic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a US student currently in my second year of undergraduate studies.

In the US, we are required to completed 4 years of undergraduate study and get a B.S. in something (doesn't really matter what...). Then we apply to medical school and attend that for 4 more years and get an MD.

What's it like in Singapore? How does a student just out of high school go about becoming a doctor? What universities offer a medical degree?

And how is the attitude of medical schools there toward international students? Do they offer scholarships of any sort?

Also, what is the job market like in Singapore for physicians coming from other countries?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!

Guess I should know quite a fair bit about the medical schools in Spore and the working environment for doctors here since I am a Singaporean.

First there is only one undergrad medical school in the National University of Singapore (NUS) and it only takes in around 250 - 300 students per year.
The course is five years long.

In order to cope with the doctor shortage in Spore, Singapore General Hospital (SGH) has collaborated with Duke University in the states to start a post graduate medical school and if I am not wrong it will begin its first intake of 100 students in 2007/2008. The course there will be for 4 years and is more research based.

Life here as doctor is not as good as countries like Australia and UK, the work is double while the pay is slightly less than counterparts elsewhere.
However, the Spore government is more than happy to receive foreign doctors as we indeed have a severe shortage here. It is a common sight to see doctors from Malaysia, India, bagaldesh working as a fellow in local hospital here. I guess the government is simply exploiting these ppl. :p
For foreign degrees that are not recognised by Singapore Medical Council, you need to work for 2 years here in a specific hospital before it is recognised, there after you will have greater mobility to choose where you wish to work at.

Btw I am not a doctor nor a medical student here, I receive such negative feedback from the junior doctors working here during one of my hospital attachments here. May be some doctors in Singapore can give you a better picture on how does the system runs here.

Anyway, what makes you want to work or do your post grad medical degree in Spore?

Thanks for your response!

I just think that Singapore is a nice, clean place to work and live in. It is so diverse and I like environments that are very open-minded. Also, I think that it is a much more modern place to live than the US, particularly the southern US, where I live right now.

I think that Singapore is more environmentally friendly(?) The US isn't particularly so.

Plus, I am part asian, hehe. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response!

I just think that Singapore is a nice, clean place to work and live in. It is so diverse and I like environments that are very open-minded. Also, I think that it is a much more modern place to live than the US, particularly the southern US, where I live right now.

I think that Singapore is more environmentally friendly(?) The US isn't particularly so.

Plus, I am part asian, hehe. :p

Singapore is nicer and cleaner than US (depend on which part of US), sometimes even more modern and convenient...but definitely not open minded compare to US. In term of diversity, Singapore is no way near the US.

"simply exploiting these people"? where do you get your facts from..besides, MOH employs more doctors from the philipines than bangladesh. Pls don't make it seem as if our healthcare system is run like the construction industry with low paying blue collar workers.

Personally, from my experience working alongside our doctors for the last 3 years, I do not feel they are an unhappy bunch. Life is pretty good. Sure, they may complain and rant when they are housemen or junior MOs but which doctor at that stage of their training anywhere in the world doesn't?

Once they get past that rite of passage, life becomes significantly better.

Anw, I'm glad that you qualified that you arent a doc and that your views are anecdotal having spoken to a few disgruntled physicians. Trust me, i've spoken to these young docs too on my attachments and their views are biased. they need to be taken with a pinch of salt; cum grano salis.