What's next after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizzy21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an international student studying for an MBBS in Australia. I would just like to find out about the various options of training after graduation. I heard that things work differently in different countries and different countries recognise different qualifications. For example, MRCP in the UK and FRCP in Aust etc etc. However, I'm not exactly sure on how the concept of this post-MBBS training works nor how long it takes. Can someone shed me some light on this matter? I dont know whether I have made myself clear enough but this is the best way I can think of phrasing things at the moment. For example, does it mean that if I had say, gone over to UK and did the MRCP, it means that I can not come back to Australia and practice until I have passed with an FRCP or something like that? Or how about in the States? Is it solely based on you passing the USMLE and getting a residency?

THanks for all info!! I really appreciate anything anyone can tell me!!

Cheers!!
liz... :cool: :)

Members don't see this ad.

Great question??? I assume you have to meet all qualifications of any country. As a IMG(international medical graduate) to do a residency in the a USA hospital you have to have the ECFMG(Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduate)certification. In order to get that you have to have passed Step 1 and 2 of USMLE(and possibly Step 3, depending on your visa situation) and the english exam Toefl, and the Clinical Assessement Skills. An investment of around $2500.USdollars. Contact the ECFMG for further information at :215.386.5900 or on the Web. Sometime during your residency you start the State licensing process depending on the requirements of that particular state, each state is different. Hint: it does pay to have some clinical experience in the states to better your chances of a residency if you do the March Match which is a whole different process. Hope this helps.

Q. Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people? Answer: All my autopsies have been performed on dead people!!!!!

famtiadr,

thanks heaps for your response. I hope people from other countries for eg Australia, NZ and Uk can let me know of the requirements in their countries as well..thanks!!

liz... :cool: