What's philly like to live in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sebastian.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Sebastian. said:
So I'm here in philly. It seems ok to me. But recently I've been bumping into quite a few folks from here or who've gone to school here and they've been describing it at a veritable hellhole. Can anyone give me the scoop on living in philly?

Never lived there but i had a great time in the old town area. It was really nice to have everything within walking distance

I'm sure it's the same as every other big city....cement, people, taxis, people, smog, and lots of crowded people.

Went to college 10 miles outside Philly. Made it to the city 3 times in four years (once for the mandatory run up the Museum of Art steps). But then I dislike the whole "urban lifestyle" and east coast thing.

Sebastian. said:
Thanks. I needn't have worried. As usual, the opinion of medstudents, on anything not directly and technically related to medicine, proves to be utterly useless. I've just been out for dinner and a long stroll around the town. I like it. Decent stores, restaurants etc. People seem down to earth. The city looks exceptionally beautifull tonight - it just started to snow. Philly seems to be a pretty good place. I think I'll turn my attention now to the programs I'm here to see.

Hey Sebastian,

I lived in Philly for 2 years - bought a row home in Fishtown and made a ton of cash off the sale so if you can get in there to purchase, you'll be golden in 4 years. The night life is smoking- I'm married with a baby now, but before that I would spin at a couple of clubs in the area, one bigger one and one smaller one that was more down to earth (you can PM me if you're into the scene) Soma is a kicking club, its in center city and it attracts a lot of artists/poets/musicians and the like. Savannah's is great for jazz on Sunday nights - its all live.

The museum is fun to visit frequently because they always have a large turnover on exhibits, its also great to walk down kelley drive and just people watch if you're into that.

Philly is pretty affordable if you look around - Kensington isnt the nicest area but you can get a pretty decent spot or even a loft if you look hard and you'll find some other young professionals moving into that area too. STay away from Frankford - its a craphole and no one should be around there unless they're looking for crack. I did a long research stent at Episcopal Hosp where Frankford is and its not nice.

Fine dining is everywhere, I like Moshulu but thats because I like to eat looking over the water. The 4th of July there is MADNESS nad so much fun! They always have this big hoorah at the art museum (Elton John was there last year!) so there is always plenty to do.

Philly is great for a young single vibrant person that wants to get out and take advantage of it. I think its a bit harder on teh family oriented person, as we moved out once our baby came along.

If you have any other questions - please PM, but overall hope this helps!

I lived in a western suburb, Havertown, for a year and it was a decent place. The public transportation system is great and definately the way to go. I worked in Center City but rarely went into the city unless friends were in town. I was a lot like Mumpu and didn't really care for the urban scene. I do miss the food vendors though.

"Kensington isnt the nicest area but you can get a pretty decent spot or even a loft if you look hard and you'll find some other young professionals moving into that area too. STay away from Frankford - its a craphole and no one should be around there unless they're looking for crack. I did a long research stent at Episcopal Hosp where Frankford is and its not nice."

This statement must be the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. I can tell you are not a philly person if you think Kensington is a place to live. Hahaha!!! Thats good buddy. :laugh:

marchiafava said:
"Kensington isnt the nicest area but you can get a pretty decent spot or even a loft if you look hard and you'll find some other young professionals moving into that area too. STay away from Frankford - its a craphole and no one should be around there unless they're looking for crack. I did a long research stent at Episcopal Hosp where Frankford is and its not nice."

This statement must be the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. I can tell you are not a philly person if you think Kensington is a place to live. Hahaha!!! Thats good buddy. :laugh:

Thanks for your snotty comment marchia fava bean - its always helpful to add useless tidbits of information isn't it? By the way, Oh great Bean of Philadelphia, if you look at real estate in Philly and you look under KENSINGTON - you'd find it BORDERS FISHTOWN so know what you're talking about before you speak why don't you? Theres lofts going for the same price in that area as the art museum - clearly you have no idea about real estate there though eh? Get an agent - then add something useful.

Typical arse - :rolleyes:

1. The infrastructure sucks, which means traffic sucks.
2. People are generally not nice.
3. Public transportation ie SEPTA strikes regularly.
4. North Philly, West Philly, South Philly, and Far East Philly ie Camden are not ideal places to live.
5. Nite life is great.
6. Sporting events and concerts in the area are great.
7. Lots O culture
8. Great museums, Parks, and historical sites.
9. Shopping is good outside of Philly.
10. Atlantic City (AC) is nearby.
11. Jersey shore nearby.
12. 6 Med schools in vicinity.
13. Great hospitals
14. Weather is tolerable in winter. Not too much snow.
15. Many other cities nearby.
16. Skiing w/in a hour to 2 drive.
17. Affordable with a good budget
18. Endless amounts of research due to number of medical schools, universities, hospitals, and pharm companies in area.

There is a reason investors are not rushing to buy into the city. People that can afford to are moving to suburbs. The Mayor is a corrupt. Many federal probes into him and his staff. City wage tax is ridiculous but is needed b/c city revenue is dropping yearly. Recently had to cut non-essential services like police and fire fighters. Therefore crime rate is increasing. Cadmen is the most dangerous city in the US. Philly is not too far behind. Car insurance is terrible unless you live outside the city. PA is generally not doctor friendly but state does contribute to malpractice premiums. Make sure you get sued outside of philly b/c urban awards tend to be higher than suburban rural areas but that tends to be the case most places.

raptor5 said:
4. North Philly, West Philly, South Philly, and Far East Philly ie Camden are not ideal places to live.
5. Nite life is great.
7. Lots O culture
11. Jersey shore nearby.
13. Great hospitals
18. Endless amounts of research due to number of medical schools, universities, hospitals, and pharm companies in area.

There is a reason investors are not rushing to buy into the city. People that can afford to are moving to suburbs. The Mayor is a corrupt. Many federal probes into him and his staff. City wage tax is ridiculous but is needed b/c city revenue is dropping yearly. Recently had to cut non-essential services like police and fire fighters. Therefore crime rate is increasing. Cadmen is the most dangerous city in the US. Philly is not too far behind. Car insurance is terrible unless you live outside the city. PA is generally not doctor friendly but state does contribute to malpractice premiums. Make sure you get sued outside of philly b/c urban awards tend to be higher than suburban rural areas but that tends to be the case most places.

MY goodness, if he didn't just sum up Philly EXACTLY TO A TEE - I don't know who can!

AMEN RAPTOR! You GO GUY

and its all definitely true :)

Poety said:
MY goodness, if he didn't just sum up Philly EXACTLY TO A TEE - I don't know who can!

AMEN RAPTOR! You GO GUY

and its all definitely true :)

agreed. as a med student in philly living in the 'burbs, i'd say that raptor's review is brilliant. :thumbup:

I moved from Philly to Saint Louis this past June, and after spending 13 years in Philly, I never thought I would say this, but I really miss Philly. Not that St. Louis is bad or anything, but the general vibe of Philly is so unique and I just took that for granted. But I do agree with the others, raptor5's assessment of Philly is very very accurate. One thing I would like to add though is that a ton of $$$ is being poured into the real estate market in Philly. I lived in Brewerytown, a small section of Fairmont where the Art Museum district is. Real estate prices in that neighborhood jumped 150-200% in 3 years, and this is just behind the Fishtown section (which was mentioned before by Poety) and Center City, the downtown section. In fact, the Center City area used to be very affordable but now had just priced itself into the elite (if you want to buy something). Anyway, all of this $$$ means that any and all abandoned, run-down buildings are now being rehabbed to sell to potential buyers. If you looked at Philly 10 years ago, and look now, the difference is remarkable. And all of this despite the mayor.

raptor5 said:
5. Nite life is great.
7. Lots O culture
11. Jersey shore nearby.
13. Great hospitals

alhkim said:
I moved from Philly to Saint Louis this past June, and after spending 13 years in Philly, I never thought I would say this, but I really miss Philly. Not that St. Louis is bad or anything, but the general vibe of Philly is so unique and I just took that for granted. But I do agree with the others, raptor5's assessment of Philly is very very accurate. One thing I would like to add though is that a ton of $$$ is being poured into the real estate market in Philly. I lived in Brewerytown, a small section of Fairmont where the Art Museum district is. Real estate prices in that neighborhood jumped 150-200% in 3 years, and this is just behind the Fishtown section (which was mentioned before by Poety) and Center City, the downtown section. In fact, the Center City area used to be very affordable but now had just priced itself into the elite (if you want to buy something). Anyway, all of this $$$ means that any and all abandoned, run-down buildings are now being rehabbed to sell to potential buyers. If you looked at Philly 10 years ago, and look now, the difference is remarkable. And all of this despite the mayor.

Great post! Hence the reason why Kensington that borders Fishtown is outrageously priced - at least I personally think a row home going for 150,000 (2 br 1ba) is outrageous, considering you could potentially get killed for parking your car in a space that someone else already shoveled out ;) Philly was definitely fun though - I can see why you miss it! :)