What's the best credit-card to use for the application process? Looking for skymiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedcat2019

The Pentagon has never been audited | Ball is Life
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted! have a good one!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The Southwest Companion Pass is awesome.

The Chase Sapphire Reserve is really nice because it gives you tons of flexibility for flights and hotels.

Southwest Companion Pass comes after 110k points in a calendar year. Even after a 60k sign up bonus that's still 50k-ish spend depending on how many Southwest flights you'd pay for (and not likely many since you already have the bonus points).

Alaska Airlines is a good card with a decent sign-up bonus that's enough for a round-trip flight. If you're flying around the west coast it's a good option. You can also book American Airlines flights with their miles. If you go to book a dummy reservation, there's often an ad to sign up for the card that comes with a $100 statement credit as well that wipes out the first year's annual fee.

Chase Sapphire preferred is a personal favorite for the flexibility of Ultimate Rewards points and their many transfer partners (Marriott, Hyatt, United, Southwest, British Airways, etc). It's a similar sign-up bonus to the Reserve but at a much lower fee (I think $95 vs $450). The Reserve does have $300 of travel credits a year though which knocks out a huge chunk of that fee and a Global Entry fee credit that also gets you TSA precheck (cannot recommend enough). You also get Priority Pass lounge access with the Reserve.

I'm pretty involved in the credit card miles game so feel free to DM me if you want to talk specifics.

Reactions: 1 user
Chase sapphire reserve. 150 (if you spent 300 or more on travel per year) vs 95 for preferred, but a lot more benefits including lounge access, 28 dollar credits per you and a guest at airport restaurants, amazing deals on events, etc. Tsa precheck and global entry included.