What's the best Stethoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuttie12390

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I heard that Litmanns are the best. I was hoping from your experience in medical school, which stethoscope do you recommend I purchase for my brother who's going to med school this August and aspires to be a cardiologist.

I saw that the Litmann cardiology IV has great reviews. Please let me know what I should be looking for if there are any specifics!!! Also I want to engrave his name on it.
Do you have recommendations of any vendors with the best deals?

Any suggestions (even color!) will be appreciated!

I am aware it's expensive, but it's going to be a gift I'm willing to spend on!

Thanks in advance SDN peeps.

Members don't see this ad.

Get him a pink Litmann, bonus points if it's glittered

Reactions: 11 users
Cardiology IV is pretty much the standard and would be a good choice. If you want a glitzier gift go with the Master Cardiology, but a first-year walking around with one often looks like a tool since even most cardiologists I've been around use a regular Cardiology III/IV.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The best stethoscope is an electronic littmann such as the 3100. The difference between electronic and traditional is significant and the price difference is only about $100-200 (might be a bit much for you but you did ask about the best!). Worth the investment in every single way though.

The best stethoscope is an electronic littmann such as the 3100. The difference between electronic and traditional is significant and the price difference is only about $100-200 (might be a bit much for you but you did ask about the best!). Worth the investment in every single way though.
I'm pretty sure electronic stethoscopes aren't even allowed by most med schools, probably best to wait until residency for those.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm pretty sure electronic stethoscopes aren't even allowed by most med schools, probably best to wait until residency for those.
Umm what? Never heard or seen that. All they do is amplify sound. It's not like a computer goes: wheezes detected, administer albuterol!

If a med school prohibited them then that's probably a pretty bad school.

Check with him about requirements from his school. Some schools will require a particular type and may have special deals to buy things as a set.

Reactions: 1 user
Check with the school first, but otherwise anything Littmann Master Classic III or better would be fine, I think. He won't be doing much cardiology for a while.

Umm what? Never heard or seen that. All they do is amplify sound. It's not like a computer goes: wheezes detected, administer albuterol!

Lol I highly doubt this. What makes you say that
Electronic stethoscopes aren't allowed for Step 2 CS or COMLEX Level 2-PE. Only "unenhanced standard stethoscopes" are allowed, so it makes sense that students should practice with unenhanced standard stethoscopes (non-electronic) up until they take those tests.

Reactions: 5 users

It may not be prohibited and I don't know for sure but wouldn't you say it would look off-putting and for the med student to have better stethoscopes than the resident as a trainee? If OP's brother is a good, quiet student and stays under the radar, it may be fine but if he sticks out, this would just be another reason.

I'm going with the black one to look like this guy:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth. I think the best one is the one that you actually use. Our school bought us one our first year and good thing too because I would've chosen the cheapest one out of the Lego bag. And do be sure to always wear it around your neck. Makes it easier for us to identify the med students and medicine interns, aside from the eager faces of excitement.

Electronic stethoscopes aren't allowed for Step 2 CS or COMLEX Level 2-PE. Only "unenhanced standard stethoscopes" are allowed, so it makes sense that students should practice with unenhanced standard stethoscopes (non-electronic) up until they take those tests.
In step 2 cs or comlex you could take a fisher price kids stethoscope and pass because the physical exam is more following a script than actual information gained on exam.

Reactions: 6 users
It may not be prohibited and I don't know for sure but wouldn't you say it would look off-putting and for the med student to have better stethoscopes than the resident as a trainee? If OP's brother is a good, quiet student and stays under the radar, it may be fine but if he sticks out, this would just be another reason.
Not really. It just shows you actually care about listening to heart and lung sounds that's all. If anything a resident who has never used one might try it and realize it is far superior. When I was an intern I tried one of my older attendings electronics and then promptly went and purchased one shortly thereafter. People who hate on them should really just try them out. It truly is night and day difference.

My school says no electronic stethoscope (can't use them on standardized patients, simulations, Step 2, etc.). It isn't that crazy.

OP: make sure his school doesn't have a specific requirement before you buy something. Some schools are pickier than others.

Also check to make sure your brother's school doesn't give out medical equipment, including stethoscopes. It doesn't hurt to have two, but you may consider a different gift if he's getting one anyway.

The Nimbus 2000 is the best by far. All the muggles get the Littman Cardiology IV.

Reactions: 20 users

It can amplify and record sounds, if I recall correctly. And I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed on Step 2 CS...

For what it's worth. I think the best one is the one that you actually use. Our school bought us one our first year and good thing too because I would've chosen the cheapest one out of the Lego bag. And do be sure to always wear it around your neck. Makes it easier for us to identify the med students and medicine interns, aside from the eager faces of excitement.
Amusingly enough, I actually wear mine around my neck out of habit- as a former RT, I wore scrubs to work, and there is zero place to store a stethoscope save for around your neck.

Also, FWIW, this is the stethoscope all the cardiology fellows at my hospital seem to prefer: Harvey DLX Stethoscopes

I definitely wouldn't bother with that for medical school, though. I'd only buy something like that after actually getting a cardiology fellowship.

Hey all,

I heard that Litmanns are the best. I was hoping from your experience in medical school, which stethoscope do you recommend I purchase for my brother who's going to med school this August and aspires to be a cardiologist.

I saw that the Litmann cardiology IV has great reviews. Please let me know what I should be looking for if there are any specifics!!! Also I want to engrave his name on it.
Do you have recommendations of any vendors with the best deals?

Any suggestions (even color!) will be appreciated!

I am aware it's expensive, but it's going to be a gift I'm willing to spend on!

Thanks in advance SDN peeps.

Classic III has great sound. I have it in the blackout color I'm a big fan.

Amusingly enough, I actually wear mine around my neck out of habit- as a former RT, I wore scrubs to work, and there is zero place to store a stethoscope save for around your neck.
I'm a white coat pocket man, myself. I get headaches with it around my neck for some reason

Not true. I put my stethoscope in my back scrub pocket on trauma all the time. Those things can really be made compact for storing ;)

Premeds and ms1/2s pay waaaaay to much attention and money to get "the best", only to wear it to class like a puppy collar. Get a decent functional Littman or Welch allyn equivalent, (double lumen)and get the best when your ears deserve it.

And no dont go electronic until you graduate. Most schools won't allow and you'll also be "that guy"

Premeds and ms1/2s pay waaaaay to much attention and money to get "the best", only to wear it to class like a puppy collar. Get a decent functional Littman or Welch allyn equivalent, (double lumen)and get the best when your ears deserve it.

And no dont go electronic until you graduate. Most schools won't allow and you'll also be "that guy"

Most premeds think of white coats and stethescopes when they envision being a doctor. Little do they know that all hospital ancillary staff now wear white coats and have a stethescope around their neck. A perplexed physician trying to navigate the EMR is the 2017 symbol of what it means to be a doctor :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users
Also, FWIW, this is the stethoscope all the cardiology fellows at my hospital seem to prefer: Harvey DLX Stethoscopes

I definitely wouldn't bother with that for medical school, though. I'd only buy something like that after actually getting a cardiology fellowship.

Have been using a dlx since 3rd year. It's the tits. Any quality stethoscope is fine though. Most of auscultation is learning to recognize what you're listening to. I have not personally used an electronic stethoscope, so I can't comment there, but a school denying their use to students is absolutely backward.

Most premeds think of white coats and stethescopes when they envision being a doctor. Little do they know that all hospital ancillary staff now wear white coats and have a stethescope around their neck. A perplexed physician trying to navigate the EMR is the 2017 symbol of what it means to be a doctor :laugh:
Don't forget the Patagonia fleece.

Reactions: 5 users
Not true. I put my stethoscope in my back scrub pocket on trauma all the time. Those things can really be made compact for storing ;)
That leaves you with the choice of either sitting on your stethoscope or removing it from your back pocket and setting it down every time you sit down. I'm fairly forgetful, so leaving my stethoscope off my person for any reason whatsoever is a recipe for losing it (I've only lost one stethoscope in eight years, and it was because I left it off my person, forgot about it for a bit, and someone swiped it).

Check with the school first. My school required cardiology III. If no requirements get the cardiology IV.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You can put it in the big pockets in your white coat.

whatever. its going to break or be stolen anyway.

I'm a white coat pocket man, myself. I get headaches with it around my neck for some reason
You can put it in the big pockets in your white coat.
My left pocket has my papers and rotation book in it, while my right is a "clean" pocket for snacks, cell phones, and other stuff I don't want touching anything I touch in the unit or on the floors (I'm kind of a germophobe). Breast pocket has a few pens, a pen light, my badge, etc. Stethoscope around the neck frees up that valuable pocket space.

Reactions: 3 users
Why exactly is wearing it around the neck so contentious?
Noobs tend to do it, but also, people who work in certain fields (EMS, the ED, RTs, some nurses) tend to do it because they don't have white coats and wear scrubs or outfits that make stashing a scope difficult or impractical. This has led to the idea that stethoscope around the neck=someone who watched too much TV, but it's actually a fairly practical way to carry a stethoscope, depending on what you're doing in the hospital. Most doctors use their stethoscope irregularly, so they don't need it to be quickly accessed to the point that throwing it around their neck makes sense. Years of being an RT kind of made me view the stethoscope as an extension of myself, as critical as laying eyes upon the patient or looking at their labs, so I don't like it tucked away in a shallow pocket it could fall out of or not on my person, but to each their own I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
I currently have a Littmann Cardio III and a Littmann Classic III: both work well for me. I think the Littmann stethoscopes are louder than the other brands of stethoscopes.

FWIW ... there is a classic saying in medicine: it is what is "between the ears" that matters (experience versus name brand of stethoscope).

In other words:

Listening for the sound of a graded heart murmur, as well as listening to other sounds (e.g., lungs) will require knowledge, practice and experience.

I'm a nurse and the ones that the hospital stock batch for us (usually color grey, I forgot the name) which are probably like $1, works amazing.

I have a Cardiology III - cost less than $200 with engraving, still have the same one that I bought at the beginning of medical school, and it works perfectly fine.

I would like to get an electronic stethoscope (like the 3100 or 3200), but as a psychiatrist at this point it's completely unnecessary. The only thing that sucks about standard stethoscopes is that, with enough wear, the rings that keep the bell and diaphragm membranes attached tend to weaken over time. When I pull my stethoscope out of my bag, I have to spend a minute finding the ring and membrane in my bag and then reattaching it. Sort of annoying.

Hofstra recommends Cardiology III or higher, but I am considering getting a Classic III with engraving (almost half price). How significant is the difference between the two?

Hofstra recommends Cardiology III or higher, but I am considering getting a Classic III with engraving (almost half price). How significant is the difference between the two?
You should be able to "try out" both stethoscopes before you make a final decision.

Personally, I like both of my Littmanns: I often use the Cardio III in practice and keep the Classic III as a readily available spare.

Cardiology IV is pretty much the standard and would be a good choice. If you want a glitzier gift go with the Master Cardiology, but a first-year walking around with one often looks like a tool since even most cardiologists I've been around use a regular Cardiology III/IV.

Yeah, my grandpa was so proud when he found out I was accepted to med school he went out and bought me a master cardiology. I really don't want my peers thinking I'm some douche, but I don't really feel like getting a different stethoscope either. :shrug:

I have a Cardiology III - cost less than $200 with engraving, still have the same one that I bought at the beginning of medical school, and it works perfectly fine.

I would like to get an electronic stethoscope (like the 3100 or 3200), but as a psychiatrist at this point it's completely unnecessary. The only thing that sucks about standard stethoscopes is that, with enough wear, the rings that keep the bell and diaphragm membranes attached tend to weaken over time. When I pull my stethoscope out of my bag, I have to spend a minute finding the ring and membrane in my bag and then reattaching it. Sort of annoying.

I think you can buy the Littman ring replacements for around $10 each

Yeah, my grandpa was so proud when he found out I was accepted to med school he went out and bought me a master cardiology. I really don't want my peers thinking I'm some douche, but I don't really feel like getting a different stethoscope either. :shrug:
Nah, most people don't seem to know the difference by sight, so the reactions are more "huh, yours looks slightly different" rather than "you are pretentious". I got a master cardiology because we were all ordering from the same site and I wanted mine to look different at a glance, without having to search for the engraving. Nobody has said boo to me about it other than, as mentioned "oh weird, yours doesn't have 2 sides!"

The master cardiology is sweet.
I have one by W-A that’s really nice as well. Harvey elite?
I think I use the Litman Cardiology IV as my daily though because it’s good for kids. For the preemies I have a neonatal scope. Also by Litman I believe.

--
Il Destriero

with engraving (almost half price)

Dremel engraving tool - $25 at Home Depot (right over there on Hempstead Turnpike, big orange sign you can't miss it) - engrave your own crap for life. This ain't Tiffany and Co.