1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

What's the best way to get from JFK to Manhattan (1st ave)?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hopefulM.D., Feb 26, 2007.

1. hopefulM.D.

hopefulM.D. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

by train? If so, which connections should I take? THis is directed to the New-Yorkers. I'm very unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. senioritaelena

senioritaelena Let's go
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When you get to JFK take the Air Train to the subway and then take the subway to 1st ave. Ask in JFK which Air train and which subway stop and subway you need to take. This is much cheaper than a taxi. TAxi about $45 each way. Air Train and subway $ 15 round trip.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NY Musicologist

NY Musicologist Career Changer
    5+ Year Member

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/
    This is the link to the Air Train website. It includes a trip planner and links to the subway system map(s). Look it over and you'll be fine. :)

4. Funky

Funky This space is for sale
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i remember that air train construction was causing some ridiculous delays on the van wyck. i haven't taken that highway in a while because of all that construction

5. chowsi

2+ Year Member

I actually recommend taking supershuttle. it's about 19 bucks one way or 38 round trip (you do the math), but it picks you up at JFK and drops you off anywhere you want in manhattan. Taking the subway can take awhile...but then again, watch out for rush hour traffic.

6. blackrsx

blackrsx OMGWTF
    7+ Year Member

I second this, especially if you're unfamiliar with the subway/train system.

7. lilold3chordme

lilold3chordme Line Cook
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Airtrain + Subway - $7 ($5 for Airtrain, $2 for subway) - Take the Airtrain to the Howard Beach Stop (Station A). Then, take the Manhattan-bound A Train subway. At Broadway Junction, transfer to the Manhattan-bound L Train. The L Train will travel through Brooklyn, and the first stop in Manhattan is at 14th St. and 1st Ave.

This option, or the ones above, will get you to your destination.

8. OP
    OP
    hopefulM.D.

hopefulM.D. Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think I'll use the subway to nyc (for the experience), and when I have to get back to the airport (if I'm pressed for time) I'll use the shuttle.

Thanks yall for the awesome advice!

9. Jejton

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Cheapest, as stated above, is Air Train to subway but this will take a long time and is a pain. The fastest is to take a cab but its more expensive. I'm pretty sure its a flat rate of $30 + tip (it might have gone up a little but it is a flat rate mandated by the city TLC and does not include any tolls ).

10. lilold3chordme

lilold3chordme Line Cook
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    flat rate from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is $45 + tolls (usually $4.50) and tip. just make sure you either go to the legit taxi line (they even give you a receipt with the taxi's medallion number) or make sure the non-legit taxi driver says the ride is $45 + tolls. i've told friends this and still found out that they took a taxi ride for $70+ dollars, not counting tip. don't get hosed.

11. PuertoRicanDiva

PuertoRicanDiva New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is a better and cheaper option than taking a cab. I don't recommend the air train if you have luggage with you because you will need to switch trains a lot. Anyhow, there is a bus service called NY Air Express http://www.nyairportservice.com/. It will take you from the airport to Grand Terminal or to Penn Station. From there you can take the subway which is $2.00 a ride. Depending on where in 1st ave you are going you can either walk or take a cab. You can always check the MTA website http://www.mta.info/. I hope this help.

PS I've taken the bus several times and is pretty reliable. Good luck!