What's the best way to get from JFK to Manhattan (1st ave)?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

hopefulM.D.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
by train? If so, which connections should I take? THis is directed to the New-Yorkers. I'm very unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks

senioritaelena

Let's go
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
When you get to JFK take the Air Train to the subway and then take the subway to 1st ave. Ask in JFK which Air train and which subway stop and subway you need to take. This is much cheaper than a taxi. TAxi about $45 each way. Air Train and subway $ 15 round trip.

About the Ads

Funky

This space is for sale
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i remember that air train construction was causing some ridiculous delays on the van wyck. i haven't taken that highway in a while because of all that construction

chowsi

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
I actually recommend taking supershuttle. it's about 19 bucks one way or 38 round trip (you do the math), but it picks you up at JFK and drops you off anywhere you want in manhattan. Taking the subway can take awhile...but then again, watch out for rush hour traffic.

blackrsx

OMGWTF
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status (Visible)
I actually recommend taking supershuttle. it's about 19 bucks one way or 38 round trip (you do the math), but it picks you up at JFK and drops you off anywhere you want in manhattan. Taking the subway can take awhile...but then again, watch out for rush hour traffic.

I second this, especially if you're unfamiliar with the subway/train system.

lilold3chordme

Line Cook
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Airtrain + Subway - $7 ($5 for Airtrain, $2 for subway) - Take the Airtrain to the Howard Beach Stop (Station A). Then, take the Manhattan-bound A Train subway. At Broadway Junction, transfer to the Manhattan-bound L Train. The L Train will travel through Brooklyn, and the first stop in Manhattan is at 14th St. and 1st Ave.

This option, or the ones above, will get you to your destination.

hopefulM.D.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
Airtrain + Subway - $7 ($5 for Airtrain, $2 for subway) - Take the Airtrain to the Howard Beach Stop (Station A). Then, take the Manhattan-bound A Train subway. At Broadway Junction, transfer to the Manhattan-bound L Train. The L Train will travel through Brooklyn, and the first stop in Manhattan is at 14th St. and 1st Ave.

This option, or the ones above, will get you to your destination.

I think I'll use the subway to nyc (for the experience), and when I have to get back to the airport (if I'm pressed for time) I'll use the shuttle.

Thanks yall for the awesome advice!

Jejton

10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Cheapest, as stated above, is Air Train to subway but this will take a long time and is a pain. The fastest is to take a cab but its more expensive. I'm pretty sure its a flat rate of $30 + tip (it might have gone up a little but it is a flat rate mandated by the city TLC and does not include any tolls ).

lilold3chordme

Line Cook
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Cheapest, as stated above, is Air Train to subway but this will take a long time and is a pain. The fastest is to take a cab but its more expensive. I'm pretty sure its a flat rate of $30 + tip (it might have gone up a little but it is a flat rate mandated by the city TLC and does not include any tolls ).

flat rate from JFK to anywhere in Manhattan is $45 + tolls (usually $4.50) and tip. just make sure you either go to the legit taxi line (they even give you a receipt with the taxi's medallion number) or make sure the non-legit taxi driver says the ride is $45 + tolls. i've told friends this and still found out that they took a taxi ride for $70+ dollars, not counting tip. don't get hosed.

PuertoRicanDiva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
There is a better and cheaper option than taking a cab. I don't recommend the air train if you have luggage with you because you will need to switch trains a lot. Anyhow, there is a bus service called NY Air Express http://www.nyairportservice.com/. It will take you from the airport to Grand Terminal or to Penn Station. From there you can take the subway which is $2.00 a ride. Depending on where in 1st ave you are going you can either walk or take a cab. You can always check the MTA website http://www.mta.info/. I hope this help.

PS I've taken the bus several times and is pretty reliable. Good luck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.