Medical What’s the Best Way to Prep for Your Residency Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whats%20the%20best%20way%20of%20prep%20for%20your%20residency%20interview.jpg
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and then some more PRACTICE!

According to Dr. Sheryl Neuman, Accepted’s expert in residency and fellowship admissions, one of the most common residency interview question asked will be: “Why did you want to become a doctor?” Practice your answer to this question ahead of time so you can create a coherent answer and avoid rambling. Your answer should be long enough to be conversational, but not so long that you lose your listener with too much detail.

Top Residency Interview Resources
Accepted offers three residency interview services that will provide top-of-the-line prep assistance:

1. Mock Residency/Fellowship Interview Package – New Clients
  2. Mock Residency/Fellowship Interview Package – Existing Clients
  3. Residency/Fellowship Interview Coaching
Who is Sheryl Neuman?
Dr. Neuman holds a BS, MD, and MPH from UCLA. She did her residency at Cedars Sinai Medical Center where she stayed for a fellowship in General Internal Medicine/Preventive Medicine (joint program with UCLA). She then went on to become the director of the Employee Health Service at Cedars, and then the director of the joint Medicine-Pediatric Residency program, also at Cedars.

Yes – this is someone who knows her stuff and who is available to help you land your top-choice match!

You Don’t Need to Take OUR Word for It…
A recent client who prepped for her interview with Dr. Neuman recently emailed her the following:

“I just wanted you to know that I appreciated all of your help during the mock interview. So many of your questions came up and I was prepared for them! Thank you again and I look forward to updating you about future interviews.”

Do you want to ace your residency interviews? Take advantage of experienced, professional interview prep before your residency interview. Make your mistakes with us, and then shine on the big day.

Related Resources:

This article was originally posted on blog.accepted.com.
Applying to medical school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants like you get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where apply, working on your AMCAS application, working on secondary essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away. Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

This question may sound dumb, but I will really appreciate an answer. Will be soon applying for IM residency. I was very fortunate to have several opportunities for substantial research in digestive diseases/cancer and radiation oncology in med school. The overarching goal of my research is drawing me towards GI as a career track. Since I have to go thru IM, is it ok to share my ultimate goal during IM residency interview. Since lot of school motivates applicants towards IM for primary care, urgent care, hospital medicine and so forth, will it be impacting my chance for IM if my underlying intention is to do IM to get into GI?
Thanks
Regards

Hi guppythefish,

it's not a dumb question at all. I think it's a good.

I went to two of our residency experts for their input on your question.

Cydney Foote responds:
I think it would depend on where he's interviewing. If it's a program focused strongly on primary care and not many of their residents have gone on for further specialization, he might not want to *emphasize* that. But IM is the bridge for so many other pathways and schools know that. Also, if he wants to get into GI, he's best matching with a program that'll support that and give him the best chance to pursue it.

Dr. Suzi Schweikert adds:
I agree with everything Cyd said! He wants to find a program that supports his goal and has a track record of residents going on to fellowship training, but he does not have to be to adamant that GI is his only path. People’s paths often change once they get into residency.

Best,
Linda

Thank you so much all of you for going extra miles to find my answer. I applied in IM categorical programs. Didn't see any other options than choosing between primary and categorical. It's late for me since I've already applied in categorical but if I shud hv done differently, ur advise will help others.
Thanks again
Regards