Whats the case with Case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corpsmanUP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This issue has since been resolved and this thread will be requested to be closed.

Members don't see this ad.

corpsmanUP said:
Got an invite from Case in early November, and was told they would send out info on the interview pertaining to all the times, where to be, where to stay, etc....

No call, no email, no nada for 4 weeks. I then call them and tell them that I have received nothing and that my interview is in a month (2 weeks ago). Now I have less than 11 days before the interview and they still have not sent me a damn thing :mad: I sent the PC another email yesterday and as of close of business today no reply. So today I decided "screw it", I am not going to sit around and hope I hear something. I sent an email to all 3 chiefs and to the PD citing my situation. I am sure I am totally screwed with them but to hec with it, I decided to take one for the team so no one else gets lubed with KY like this. If I was not already in the area for 2 other interviews I might have had a real problem scheduling airfare less than 14 days now to go.

Anyone else find this ridiculous? I think I am just going to cancel so I have a day off between Ohio State and Pitt, which are 2 places I am way more interested in anyway. I always figure if you have this much trouble with a place that you might as well cancel because 3 years there might be much worse!! 99% of programs have gone incredibly far out of their way to welcome me and do everything in the world to help.

Hi,

I am one of the chiefs, I have not received an email from you. Are you sure you're not having problems with it? Denise, our program coordinator, is extremely welcoming to students applying, so I can assure you that's not the problem. She sends out the packet info about the interview day and the night before dinner by email (it used to be sent by US mail). I assure you it's not in an effort to brush you off.

Also note that mid-day Friday, our email system went down for a software upgrade and should be up on Monday.

If you'd like, you can PM me with your info, and I can see what's up, otherwise enjoy your interviews at Pitt and OSU.

mike

maybe a little venomous considering it sounds like an honest mistake?

Members don't see this ad :)
corpsmaUP said:
Now I have less than 11 days before the interview and they still have not sent me a damn thing I sent the PC another email yesterday and as of close of business today no reply. So today I decided "screw it", I am not going to sit around and hope I hear something. I sent an email to all 3 chiefs and to the PD citing my situation. I am sure I am totally screwed with them but to hec with it, I decided to take one for the team so no one else gets lubed with KY like this.

mikecwru said:
Hi,

I am one of the chiefs, I have not received an email from you. Are you sure you're not having problems with it? ..... I assure you it's not in an effort to brush you off.

mike

I think you can safely say Case is out the window now....

Hey Mike,

I emailed the other 2 chiefs and PD but not you because your first initial and last name were likely not to have worked as a combo because of the common last name you hold. I did not want that email going to the wrong person at your institution. Venomous......I'd say that comment is a little harsh seeing I am the one who is going through the problem. I mean I am now 10 days away and have no info for this interview day. I tried everything in my power to get this info, so if persistence is something bad, then perhaps I am not meant for this program. I did a search on my email using manual and automated searches for the PC's name as well as metrohealth. It found one email and it was the original one I got on the 7th of November. I own my house and I have also not received anything in the mail. Its not like I have not been emailing and calling and asking for it either. Here is the timeline:

Nov 7th, received interview email
Nov 7th, replied by phone and scheduled for week of Dec 19th.
told that day to expect an email with info for the interview
End of November comes and I have no email or snailmail
I call PC and leave a phone message discussing my problem on the VM
Next day I call back because I still have no reply by phone or email.
PC is kind and apologizes and tells me that she will email it out the same day.
A week goes by and I have nothing so I send a follow up email.
Still no reply.
Emailed 2 chiefs and PD last afternoon and will await their advisement. I will also PM Mike.

I'ld still like to come see this program because it has one particular thing that I think is better than any place in the country (yes I know, one thing doesn't make a residency). But I am starting to think I have been cancelled or was never actually scheduled or something. If this gets me the response I am hoping for then this thread was worth it. And if there was an innocent mix up, I will be more than happy to return here and clear the record.

papichulodoc said:
I think you can safely say Case is out the window now....

Just for you I am going to go do this interview anyway ;)

Alot of programs have sent me stuff 3-4 days before the interview date. For me, 11 days seems like a year.

Radiohead said:
Alot of programs have sent me stuff 3-4 days before the interview date. For me, 11 days seems like a year.

I have had no such experience thus far, perhaps I have been spoiled by all the others. But for all my others I received an email and an ERAS message both detailing the time to be there, the approximate time when the day would end, and recommendations of where to stay and where to show up for the interview. When you have to schedule flights, dinners, hotels, and 15 more just like them, 3-4 days is less than acceptable.

I ain't at CWRU, but I know that their residency coordinator, Denise, is like THE nicest person on earth. I mean, she is one of the few RC's I remember from my interview trailer, she was so nice!!!!!!!

Quinn

Hey dude--

I'm interviewing at Case next week and got the info email last week, so your's is likely coming soon. If it would help, you can PM me your email and I'll forward the email/attachments (hotels, etc). Some of the details may be a bit different due to dates, but the general stuff is likely the same. :thumbup:

Hey Hawkeye, you have mail. And thanks to Mike one of the chiefs at Case I now have some of the info regarding the interview. I now know there is a dinner which is something I also never knew. I appreciate those who have helped me get this info and I realize there must be something strange going on to keep me from getting the info, or else she is just really behind. Regardless, I thought she was VERY nice as well Quinn when I spoke with her on the phone, which is why I have been so confused why she would say one thing and then not act on it.....more than once! I am sure there is some explanation and it will work out.

Hawkeye Kid said:
Hey dude--

I'm interviewing at Case next week and got the info email last week, so your's is likely coming soon. If it would help, you can PM me your email and I'll forward the email/attachments (hotels, etc). Some of the details may be a bit different due to dates, but the general stuff is likely the same. :thumbup:

QuinnNSU said:
I ain't at CWRU, but I know that their residency coordinator, Denise, is like THE nicest person on earth. I mean, she is one of the few RC's I remember from my interview trailer, she was so nice!!!!!!!

Quinn
I agree. I remember Denise from my interview there. She is very, very nice!

corpsmanUP said:
Hey Hawkeye, you have mail. And thanks to Mike one of the chiefs at Case I now have some of the info regarding the interview. I now know there is a dinner which is something I also never knew. I appreciate those who have helped me get this info and I realize there must be something strange going on to keep me from getting the info, or else she is just really behind. Regardless, I thought she was VERY nice as well Quinn when I spoke with her on the phone, which is why I have been so confused why she would say one thing and then not act on it.....more than once! I am sure there is some explanation and it will work out.

Both myself and I believe the program director contacted Denise about this. I know she is not behind. This is a glitch in the system. I suspect it has to do with an email error (ie, when your email address was copied down or something, it got typed wrong, and it keeps going into never-never land). Let me know if the information is still not to you (PM me with your correct email address) and I will send you all the formal attachments in case you haven't gotten it yet.

Regarding our flight program, we do one dedicated month of flight during the third year as a residency requirement. Most residents get their fix on the helicopter moonlighting on it (an added bonus to you, as you get paid $40/hr to do it). You can start moonlighting the middle of second year. I moonlight on it frequently. We don't do the "be on call for a flight while you work in the ED" deal, I think that would be a pain... our helicopter is too busy to facilitate something like that. You will not LACK for helicopter experience if you want it. Keep in mind, though, although the copter is fun, you can make more money moonlighting in community hospitals (around 80-100/hr)

Our program is about 55k flights, 22+ years old, flying 3 Sikorsky helicopters with two engines, two pilots, no accidents. Second busiest in the country. We fly with ALWAYS a doctor, nurse. Only 3% of programs in the country do this.

Let me know if you have other questions.

mike

Finally got the info. There were multiple attachments which were very helpful and exactly what I was looking for. One of the chiefs is letting me stay with his family so I won't even have to get a hotel. If nothing else, I'll get to finally see Cleveland and they take you to a cool sounding Pizza dive! That type of flight program is incredible...sounds like Indianapolis. I don't know any others that do this, anyone else know who?

Our program is about 55k flights, 22+ years old, flying 3 Sikorsky helicopters with two engines, two pilots, no accidents. Second busiest in the country.

Do you mean 55k flights a year with three helicopters? That's 150 flights a day. Can't be right. Or did you mean 55k in 22 years? 7 flights a day.

corpsmanUP said:
That type of flight program is incredible...sounds like Indianapolis. I don't know any others that do this, anyone else know who?

I can think of at least one more. :)

corpsmanUP said:
Finally got the info. There were multiple attachments which were very helpful and exactly what I was looking for. One of the chiefs is letting me stay with his family so I won't even have to get a hotel. If nothing else, I'll get to finally see Cleveland and they take you to a cool sounding Pizza dive! That type of flight program is incredible...sounds like Indianapolis. I don't know any others that do this, anyone else know who?

Not sure what you mean by "this"... If you mean dual pilot S76 choppers, I don't know. Alot of the country uses BK117s because they were specifically designed for the EMS mission profile and can be IFR.

If you mean "always" doctor and nurse there are a few programs that quickly come to mind (by no means a comprehensive list). Cincy, Indy, St. Vincent's (OH), Akron General (you fly on Case's birds), Grand Rapids, and Pitt. Here at Mayo it is not always doctor / nurse, but when a resident flies, it is doctor / nurse (you are actively part of a two person medical crew). I know that there are other programs (Yale?) where this (resident as part of the flight crew - not an "observer") is also true.

The other part of Case's program; i.e., you are "dedicated" to flight (without ED responsibility when on a flight shift) is more the rule than the exception. In fact, other than Cincy, I don't know of any programs where this is not the case...

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Not sure what you mean by "this"... If you mean dual pilot S76 choppers, I don't know. Alot of the country uses BK117s because they were specifically designed for the EMS mission profile and can be IFR.

If you mean "always" doctor and nurse there are a few programs that quickly come to mind (by no means a comprehensive list). Cincy, Indy, St. Vincent's (OH), Akron General (you fly on Case's birds), Grand Rapids, and Pitt. Here at Mayo it is not always doctor / nurse, but when a resident flies, it is doctor / nurse (you are actively part of a two person medical crew). I know that there are other programs (Yale?) where this (resident as part of the flight crew - not an "observer") is also true.

The other part of Case's program; i.e., you are "dedicated" to flight (without ED responsibility when on a flight shift) is more the rule than the exception. In fact, other than Cincy, I don't know of any programs where this is not the case...

- H

Excellent to know. Thanks for the info. I am going to start a new thread on this so that the issue with Case can go away. They don't deserve to be bumped up and have this issue recirculated every time we discuss a different topic.

It turned out that evidently my email had been copied down incorrectly they say. The email I just got though a few days ago from Denise was addressed to each person interviewing that day and had a message stating "Here is the info, as promised". Perhaps everyone else got it before me and perhaps the PC did not see the error messages she would have been receiving had my email been typed wrong.

I just know I tried my a$$ off to get this info and multiple times I did not receive it. I somehow received the original email from them inviting me for the interview via the ERAS listserve, but evidently between then and now my email got typed in wrong on their end.

Regardless, its over, and the chiefs and the PD himself came to my aid and all emailed me privately to assist me. As I said, I am even staying at one of the chief's homes. They have really responded to the situation and have privately spoken VERY highly about their program. They deserve a thank you for doing this...they certainly could have just told me to get lost, or ignored me completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.