What's the COLORADO campus like??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

old_one

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
(I asked this in the "Schools with 30 year old students" thread")

I've never been to the Rocky Mountains. I was thinking of applying at Colorado. Does anyone know what the campus is like??

Has anyone visited that particular campus?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi old-one. Hope I can offer some helpful advice. I am a Colorado native, and absolutely love my home state. However, I was not impressed with the CU campus. Eventually, when the school moves to the new campus (whenever that will be!) I am sure it will be one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation, but for now, it is not that impressive. I was very disappointed in the med school and ended up accepting a California school instead.

That said, it is an excellent primary care school with some fantastic opportunities to work in different parts of the state with underserved communities. There are also alot of older students there, but I found that there were quite a few in many of the schools I visited this year.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a private post!

Hi Scully,

Cool nic! Are you an X-files fan? ;)

I wasn't aware that there were plans to move the campus??? I looked on the 'net, but couldn't find the relocation destination. Is it somewhere in Denver? Or are they planning on moving closer to the undergrad school (Boulder)?

Also, from the local news that you get when you're back in CO, have you heard if the med school is just in the "talking phase" of relocating?

Or is the relocation actually "in the works" and could happen within the next two or three years?

Thanks for any input! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I am an X-Files fan (but the old shows more than the new ones, I miss Cancer man!!)

The medical campus is being moved south of the city (farther from the undergrad campus) to the former Fitzsimon's military base. It sounds like it will be beautiful and very technologically advanced. In addition, there is alot of biotech activity in that area, which should be great for those who want to do research in that area. You can read about it at http://www.uchsc.edu/home/. The plan is behind schedule, so really it may be a decade before the move is completed. But in the meantime, some facilities have already opened there, and some departments are currently being moved.

I was very disappointed in the med school and ended up accepting a California school instead
Was that your main reason for rejecting U of Colorado? Because the campus was old? Or were there other issues? What CA school did you prefer over CU?

First, let me say that UCHSC is a terrific school with a great, and growing reputation in primary care. There are alot of fantastic opportunities to work with underserved communities (not as much inner city as east coast schools, but alot of native american and hispanic populations.) Also, research opportunities are very good.

After saying all of this, I probably sound crazy saying that I didn't like it. But I really wanted to go there since it was my home state, so when it didn't measure up to my expectations, I was more disappointed than most people would be. I really did not like the staff or the faculty interviewers -- I felt they were arrogant and condescending. I had a very difficult time getting any information about the school, the application process, the interview day, etc... I went back to the "second look" day for accepted students in the spring, hoping that maybe things would be better, but they weren't. The students were okay, but I definitely was more impressed with other schools. The facilities seemed pretty mediocre, but not terrible. The beauty of Denver would make up for the ugly campus. (I didn't see the hospitals--those might be nice.) Finally, I am not planning on entering primary care, and it seemed that my opportunities might be better elsewhere.

I actually got into a few schools, and would have gone to any of them before going to CU. While I love Colorado, perpetually sunny, warm, fun California will have to do for now.