What's the deal? QR 14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amartins02

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everyone? Been a while. Had a question. Just took the DAT today. Here are my scores:

PA 20

QR14

RC 20

Bio 19

GC 18

OC 21

TS 19

AA 18

So let me just say that math isn't my strongest subject. I went to a really bad high school and no one ever advised me on taking geometry or trigonometry. I am not using it as an excuse. I bought tons of books. Got nailed with a lot of SIN to the square root of your mother's TOA type questions that I simply had no clue how to answer.

My question is, I know many schools have cutoffs. I can't seem to find them though. But, if I send in my app and it ends up being an issue will they at least look at it and accept me on the basis that I retake the DAT? Or, will they not look at it period? My girlfriend (she's a dentist) said that they may not say much because it looks like an anomoly compared to the other scores and will assume that there must be something off about it. Opinions?

Oh, GPA is 3.42 and My science GPA is in the 3.6-3.7 range.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread just this week about the lowest individual score most schools will take. I seem to recall consensus was anything below 15 on an individual section indicates a need to retake since the schools will not consider the application coimpetitive. Ideally 16 or above to be considered marginal, overall TS/AA can be brought up with a ridiculously high score in one area (ie. 14 QA but 30 Bio will spike TS and AA).

I've made several posts or threads about this already this week. I got a 15 on QR but my other scores off-set my AA (24 on bio, etc). It hasn't seemed to hurt me yet (no rejections and 2 interview invites) but I'm just waiting for one of my top choices to nail me with a "we're sorry to inform you..." rejection letter because of my below par QR score.

Members don't see this ad :)
20 AA/ 21 TS/ 17PAT

go figure.... really am NOT gonna take this EVER again....i think 21 TS is good enough....esp w/ a 23 in bio....

SayitIsntSO said:
20 AA/ 21 TS/ 17PAT

go figure.... really am NOT gonna take this EVER again....i think 21 TS is good enough....esp w/ a 23 in bio....
ohyeah, 13 is QR, hehe

I just wouldn't want to apply to schools of my choice and have them reject me before giving me the opportunity to retake it. I want to put on my app that I will take a future test again but worry that then they will wait untill that date to invite me for an interview.

amartins02 said:
I just wouldn't want to apply to schools of my choice and have them reject me before giving me the opportunity to retake it. I want to put on my app that I will take a future test again but worry that then they will wait untill that date to invite me for an interview.

I don't think that will be the case. I've heard of applicants who, at their interview, were asked to re-take the DAT. I think if the rest of your app is strong, you will get interviews.

Here is an update. Called someone at Tuft's and all they could really say was that its really competitive and that he couldn't really say that it "would hurt me" because apps are looked at on a case by case basis. Said I should consider retaking but, not if I think I may get a lower score overall. :( Guess I will submit and see what happens. Seriously, they can look at my transcript and see that all my math classes are A's. I mean I know that 3+7=9 :)