How do you deal with waiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoToHolmes

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's only a month left until decision day but how do you bear the wait? I'm constantly replaying moments from my interviews and wondering how my answers were received, whether I looked friendly enough, or if I came off as trying to hard to make myself stand out. And there's also the fact that admission to a school is never guaranteed. Even someone who gets six or more interviews could be rejected or waitlisted at all of them.

Is interview performance the only thing that they're looking at at this point? Wondering if my good stats, my dentist LOR, and experience can net me at least one acceptance even if my interview wasn't the best

Members don't see this ad.

There's only a month left until decision day but how do you bear the wait? I'm constantly replaying moments from my interviews and wondering how my answers were received, whether I looked friendly enough, or if I came off as trying to hard to make myself stand out. And there's also the fact that admission to a school is never guaranteed. Even someone who gets six or more interviews could be rejected or waitlisted at all of them.

Is interview performance the only thing that they're looking at at this point? Wondering if my good stats, my dentist LOR, and experience can net me at least one acceptance even if my interview wasn't the best

trust the process...

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I also find myself counting down the days! But don’t overthink your interviews, what’s happened has happened and they’ve most likely already made the decision. All we can do is wait, I would recommend trying to start a new TV show or hobby to get your mind off of it. That’s what I’ve been trying to do anyways !

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
With everything coming up with the holidays, just try to put it all in the back of your mind.. you may get more interviews but until then I’d just forget about the cycle and go do other stuff you enjoy.. if you get accepted then you won’t have much time to do anything else so just take a break from school and enjoy the time off.. may be easier said then done but there’s gotta be other things that get you excited that takes your mind off of it

Reactions: 1 user
Your interviw is absolutely not the only factor that they look at it. Its only one of the factors.im struggling with my python class and currently worried about that rather than the decision day cause i probably gonna get c in it :D and its gonna be the first c in my undergrad which is really on my nerve. Anyway good luck on the decision day!

With everything coming up with the holidays, just try to put it all in the back of your mind.. you may get more interviews but until then I’d just forget about the cycle and go do other stuff you enjoy.. if you get accepted then you won’t have much time to do anything else so just take a break from school and enjoy the time off.. may be easier said then done but there’s gotta be other things that get you excited that takes your mind off of it
That "IF" hurts me so much man...

D1 here. Replaying all of that is just torturing yourself. I was in your same shoes this past summer... looking back I realize it was completely out of my hands after the interview. Either I was in, or I wasn’t. Worrying and making myself anxious about it wasn’t going to help me get in.

You just have to deal with each day independently of tomorrow. The things that you have to do today, do them, and don’t sit and think of the things you have to do tomorrow or face tomorrow until tomorrow. The reality is, a lot of students don’t actually find out exactly what will be happening with on decision day. If you are lucky enough to get all those emails and phone calls you’re dreaming of on decision day then that is awesome. But in my case, I didn’t know until February of this past year that I would be going to dental school. I had to play the waiting game even longer than anticipated. It was annoying, but I got through it by doing what I just said above....you gotta do today today, and tomorrow tomorrow. Best of luck, you will definitely get through everything and be a dentist soon enough!!

Reactions: 4 users
The waiting has definitely been hard! I wanted to ask a question extending on this topic—is it fine to email schools after some time has passed after interviewing to express further interest (if you get the impression they’re open to emails)? Like asking for general app-building recommendations they might have for those who have already interviewed or something

Or is it best to just suck it up and wait until you find out their decision?

The waiting has definitely been hard! I wanted to ask a question extending on this topic—is it fine to email schools after some time has passed after interviewing to express further interest (if you get the impression they’re open to emails)? Like asking for general app-building recommendations they might have for those who have already interviewed or something

Or is it best to just suck it up and wait until you find out their decision?
My advice is suck it up and wait until you find out their decision :D. They are busy with all stuffs right now and its just unprofessional to do so. Letter of interest is only helpful if u get waitlisted which hopefully we all get straight acceptance on Dec 15th!

Reactions: 2 users