What's the deal with Brown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack Napier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed there and I really liked it; however, I heard from some other residents in other programs in the area that Brown is not very supportive of students (one resident left the program, etc). Another student said he "heard some bad things too", but he didn't elaborate. This seemed so contradictory to the impression I left with.

Can anyone else that knows the program give me some insight? Any current residents willing to talk anonymously via PM?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm doing residency in boston. Providence is only 50 minutes away. I guess you could say this residency program (Brown) is in my neighborhood. That said, a few of our faculty have come from there, very recently actually. They have nothing but good things to say about it. Now that is from a faculty perspective, granted. Haven't met any residents from there yet. But if something really bad were happening there, I imagine there'd be some rumblings up here in Boston. And there aren't any rumblings at all. Sorry, that may not be very helpful but nobody else had answered you yet, haha.

I was gonna say I'm a recent graduate of the program, but turns out its been 6 years since I left. Sigh. At any rate, FWIW I could not have been any happier there, and thought it was an absolutely incredible program and an amazing place to live. And that's coming from a Texan who had to live for 7 years with no Mexican food and no breakfast tacos of any kind. Leadership and the majority of the faculty are the same as when I was there, with the addition of some great people, so couldn't see them as anything but awesome still.

Members don't see this ad :)
I met a resident on the interview trail who transferred out of Brown too. Her story was pretty scary... PM me for details if you want.

Last edited:
hey got your PMs. Sorry if it takes a couple days to respond... I don't sign on here too often.

Brown is an awesome department with amazing places to train.

It's also a big enough place where there will be people who don't fit in well.

The exception proves the rule - if only 1 or 2 people have been unhappy there it can't be that bad.

The exception proves the rule - if only 1 or 2 people have been unhappy there it can't be that bad.

I'd underline the importance of not taking a story or two as gospel; such episodes often say much more about the resident than about the program.