Whats the deal with Loma Linda? Backdoor to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On those days I enhance my coffee, I can't begin to imagine what they'd do with me.

True story, I considered applying there. Took one look at the website and said, "Not for me." One reason out of many why applicants should really do their homework.
Agreed. It's one of those schools that's A) private and B) has reasonable stats, so I'm sure tons of people just throw in applications that have no chance whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think you need a rule though. I don't know anyone in med school who smokes. It's a health conscious bunch. Coffee on the other hand...

Closet smokers. I know a few who openly smoked on campus. But it's a very small minority.

A lot of neurosurgery residents smoked at my school.

Reactions: 1 user
Loma Linda is a very good school and the hospital there is a Trauma 1 center for like a third of the state...

Members don't see this ad :)
^ yeah pretty selective though. Based of their site: 3.77 avg GPA, 31 MCAT. out of 8500 applicants, only 181 spots

^ yeah pretty selective though. Based of their site: 3.77 avg GPA, 31 MCAT. out of 8500 applicants, only 181 spots
There are 169 1st year seats and the matriculant median is 30.
There were 6511 applicants last year. 392 were interviewed.

Actually, these are now required competencies for medical students and residents. Pretty soon you'll see pre-med requirements tailored to match these.

See:
https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/competencies/

http://med.stanford.edu/gme/current_residents/corecomp.html

I think you'll find that more MD schools have a broader focus on patient care than you might think. I go to a private, non-religiously affiliated medical school and we have classes every week about communication skills to improve patient care, social/cultural/economic determinants of health, bioethics, etc. I interviewed at 8-10 MD schools and pretty much all of them had some aspect of "holistic" care integrated into their curriculum and/or mission. I really think that's more dependent on the individual physician than the degree they got. For myself, I've had MDs who are great at exploring more than just the discrete health problem I'm having and DOs who aren't, and vice versa.

Reactions: 2 users
Actually, these are now required competencies for medical students and residents. Pretty soon you'll see pre-med requirements tailored to match these.

See:
https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/admissionsinitiative/competencies/

http://med.stanford.edu/gme/current_residents/corecomp.html
Honestly, I was always kind of surprised that social skills AREN'T really taught at all, at least not in the US. For something that's so vital to everyday life, you'd think they would've been on the ball a little earlier.

I feel like med school is not the appropriate time to teach them, though. Elementary school and possibly middle school would be better IMO.

This belongs here --
c71848ba9705e06add4db1c23022bf77.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for the info guys! So far ive just been thinking MD =Use drugs to cure whatever sickness, DO = look at all options to try and cure the whole patient.

No contraception at the Catholic schools...
Well yeah, when one door closes, another opens.

EDIT: thank God for the anonymity of this site, otherwise I might've just forfeited my acceptances to all religious-affiliated schools in the nation with that comment ^^

""""LizzyM: 91
Primaries: 1 (Harvard)
Secondaries: 0 (No secondary necessary)
II's: 0 (No interview necessary)
Acceptances: 1 (Harvard, plus a full ride merit scholarship that Jeff begged me to accept as he knelt down in front of me)""""

I almost thought this was real...:eek: SDN has completely twisted my view of a competitive applicant!!! :rofl:

LMAO right?? Honestly, I see people here with like 3.9+ GPA, 1000s hrs EC's, multiple papers published, 95 percentile MCAT, and they are like "What are my chances?" "Should I take GAP year" "Help pls i'm really worried"...like...tf?