Whats the deal with Loma Linda? Backdoor to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPA

PA-C
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told by many that Loma Linda University in CA often times will allow congregation members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church system preferential entry into the med school. For example, allowing students with much poorer academic performance entry for the sole reason of being a member of the church.

Is this possible??

Members don't see this ad.

They have lower academic averages because they are a mission based school who recruits students that fit their mission. They care more about fit than they do about grades.

Mission ~ To continue the teaching and healing ministry of Jesus Christ.

Vision ~ Innovating excellence in Christ-centered health care.

Reactions: 3 users
Schools can do whatever they want. I don't get what the issue is...

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Their LizzyM score is a 68. That's the same as Drexel but better than Albany. Higher than CN"U".

BTW, I have been told by many that U WV in WV often times will allow state residents of WV preferential entry into the med school. For example, allowing students with much poorer academic performance entry for the sole reason of being a resident of the state.

Imagine that!

I have been told by many that Loma Linda University in CA often times will allow congregation members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church system preferential entry into the med school. For example, allowing students with much poorer academic performance entry for the sole reason of being a member of the church.

Is this possible??

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Schools can do whatever they want. I don't get what the issue is...
Exactly.
I love these posts. Life's not a meritocracy. The people that make admissions decisions, job offers, etc. can make them based on anything they want. They don't owe the "better" candidate anything.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 5 users
If you go there don't you have to take an oath against any backdoor stuff?

Reactions: 45 users
@LizzyM It's the door the missionary uses to enter the church to spread the gospel. Once the gospel is received the Holy Spirit communes with both brothers and sisters in Christ to rejoice and say, "Hallelujah!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, being that they have a pretty strict code of conduct for students that would get me booted the second I stepped on campus, it's probably in their interest to accept students most likely to uphold their code of conduct. Also, they're a private university, they can admit whoever they want TBH.

How is this any different than a state school taking a 27/3.5 IS student over a 36/4.0 OOS student? God forbid a religiously-affiliated, service-driven school recruits students that fit a service-oriented, Christ-centered mission.

There is no backdoor into medical school. It's incredibly competitive wherever you apply.

And I thought reddit was bad at making puns...

Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• thatsthejoke.jpg
    thatsthejoke.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: 1 users
Speaking of, does anyone know what other schools are like this in seeking Christ-centered Laborers?

Speaking of, does anyone know what other schools are like this in seeking Christ-centered Laborers?
I know there's a few other religious schools, but I don't think they push their religion as hard as Loma Linda does.

EX:
University of Utah (Mormon, because everything in Utah is Mormon... jk I'm pretty sure this is just a state school)
Georgetown (Jesuit)
Loyola (Jesuit)
Creighton (Jesuit)

Hmmm those are the only MD schools I know off the top of my head.

And I thought reddit was bad at making puns...
That's exactly what I thought. I could've sworn there was talk recently about Reddit being a cesspool of poor quality content, but this is textbook Reddit. I'm not saying it's bad, I just felt the Reddit community was being judged a bit harshly.

I know there's a few other religious schools, but I don't think they push their religion as hard as Loma Linda does.

EX:
University of Utah (Mormon, because everything in Utah is Mormon... jk I'm pretty sure this is just a state school)
Georgetown (Jesuit)
Loyola (Jesuit)
Creighton (Jesuit)

Hmmm those are the only MD schools I know off the top of my head.
Solid, i'll start making a list of these. They have to be part of the schools i apply to. LOL at Utah XD
LUCOM, and that's it.
Dang it, It's D.O., makes sense though.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, really. Carl Icahn (as in Icahn School of Medicine) has publicly endorsed Trump and donated $1,000,000 to his charity event for veterans.

I am beyond confused right now with all the above messages..

Still confused... I'm so glad being good at understanding/making puns is not a requirement for Med Schools..

Still confused... I'm so glad being good at understanding/making puns is not a requirement for Med Schools..
How are you going to take the MCAT if you're not able to navigate cars?

The Jesuit schools (SLU, Loyola Chicago, Georgetown and Creighton) are mission driven (treating the whole person) but do not have strict codes of student/faculty conduct as Loma Linda does (Catholic vs. Seventh Day Adventist... the Jesuits leave it to your free will whether to use coffee, meat, booze and cigarettes).

Reactions: 2 users
The Jesuit schools (SLU, Loyola Chicago, Georgetown and Creighton) are mission driven (treating the whole person) but do not have strict codes of student/faculty conduct as Loma Linda does (Catholic vs. Seventh Day Adventist... the Jesuits leave it to your free will whether to use coffee, meat, booze and cigarettes).
You can't drink coffee at Loma Linda? I would be expelled on Day 1.

I don't think you need a rule though. I don't know anyone in med school who smokes. It's a health conscious bunch. Coffee on the other hand...
Really? Maybe it's school dependent.

I've heard that lots of UColorado med students smoke weed regularly. Also, on the /r/medicalschool subreddit I swear I've seen people talking about smoking weed...

Also, I realize that weed != cigarettes, but I feel like if there are people smoking weed then there's got to be people smoking cigarettes as well.

I don't think you need a rule though. I don't know anyone in med school who smokes. It's a health conscious bunch. Coffee on the other hand...
You can pry my coffee from my warm jittery hands!

Really? Maybe it's school dependent.

I've heard that lots of UColorado med students smoke weed regularly. Also, on the /r/medicalschool subreddit I swear I've seen people talking about smoking weed...

Also, I realize that weed != cigarettes, but I feel like if there are people smoking weed then there's got to be people smoking cigarettes as well.
Don't want to derail the thread but considering the fact that it's illegal in 46/50 states and a Schedule I substance I feel it would be somewhat redundant for medical schools to have specific policies against marijuana. Not to mention drug tests from rotation sites!

@LizzyM @cj_cregg Thanks for the info guys, I did not know this about Jesuits. To me they sounded like strict catholic type haha. I'd say living in California has made me fairly liberal (or at the very least empathetic) when it comes to certain issues, so I should be fine overall. What seems a bit odd is their focus on whole-body treatment (and even spiritual/soul healing) while still being MD instead of DO

You can't drink coffee at Loma Linda? I would be expelled on Day 1.
On those days I enhance my coffee, I can't begin to imagine what they'd do with me.

True story, I considered applying there. Took one look at the website and said, "Not for me." One reason out of many why applicants should really do their homework.

@LizzyM @cj_cregg Thanks for the info guys, I did not know this about Jesuits. To me they sounded like strict catholic type haha. I'd say living in California has made me fairly liberal (or at the very least empathetic) when it comes to certain issues, so I should be fine overall. What seems a bit odd is their focus on whole-body treatment (and even spiritual/soul healing) while still being MD instead of DO
It's not strange at all. What's strange is how the DO leadership attempts to claim that osteopathetic = caring for the whole person.