Whats the deal with Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am curious as to when i should take this thing. i have a few months off before i begin residency, and i live in a state that allows me to take it before residency. so, should i get it out of the way? how tough is it compared to the first two steps? and, how on earth should i prepare?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Prepare using the same methods that have worked for you thus far.
There is a first aid for step 3 book and other resources as well.
I think usmleworld might offer a qbank for step 3 too.

One thing about getting it done early is that all of that obgyn stuff is still in your brain. lol.

Hi there,
Crush USMLE Step III is all you need. This one is straight-forward. It is just that this exam burns up two days instead of one.

njbmd :)

inositide said:
Prepare using the same methods that have worked for you thus far.
There is a first aid for step 3 book and other resources as well.
I think usmleworld might offer a qbank for step 3 too.

One thing about getting it done early is that all of that obgyn stuff is still in your brain. lol.

hahaha! that ob/gyn stuff better stay in my brain, as that is what i am starting in july.

so, is it the same material as step 2? i did well on that one, so should i just use the same step 2 type prep, and do step 3 practice questions?

thanks!

neilc said:
hahaha! that ob/gyn stuff better stay in my brain, as that is what i am starting in july.

so, is it the same material as step 2? i did well on that one, so should i just use the same step 2 type prep, and do step 3 practice questions?

thanks!

it is very similar except that treatment plan usually extends a step further in terms of drug selection. do a few practice questions for free somewhere on the internet and you should get a good idea.