Step I whats the difference between an enhancing and non-enhancing lesion?

Started by 3dee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

3dee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just did a question that said ADPKD has non-enhancing lesions on contrast CT that distinguishes it from metastasis. Can someone please explain the difference btw enhancing and non-enhancing lesions?

Thanks!!!
 
Now that I think about it, I never actually had that defined for me. I always assumed it was referring to gadolinium enhancement on an MRI or CT, which would make areas of inflammation or a tumor brighter because those things cause increased blood flow. By this logic, a non-enhancing lesion would be one that isn't brighter when you use contrast.
 
Now that I think about it, I never actually had that defined for me. I always assumed it was referring to gadolinium enhancement on an MRI or CT, which would make areas of inflammation or a tumor brighter because those things cause increased blood flow. By this logic, a non-enhancing lesion would be one that isn't brighter when you use contrast.

I read somewhere (non-credible source via google) that enhancing lesions mean the disease is in an active state. Not sure if this is true. But it would make sense from your explanation.
Tumor/inflammation-> enhancing
Cyst-->non-enhancing
 
I read somewhere (non-credible source via google) that enhancing lesions mean the disease is in an active state. Not sure if this is true. But it would make sense from your explanation.
Tumor/inflammation-> enhancing
Cyst-->non-enhancing

Hmm...cuz I know progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy is non-enhancing, multiple densities as well.

If someone could further elaborate? --> 👍