whats the difference between an enhancing and non-enhancing lesion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3dee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just did a question that said ADPKD has non-enhancing lesions on contrast CT that distinguishes it from metastasis. Can someone please explain the difference btw enhancing and non-enhancing lesions?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Now that I think about it, I never actually had that defined for me. I always assumed it was referring to gadolinium enhancement on an MRI or CT, which would make areas of inflammation or a tumor brighter because those things cause increased blood flow. By this logic, a non-enhancing lesion would be one that isn't brighter when you use contrast.

Now that I think about it, I never actually had that defined for me. I always assumed it was referring to gadolinium enhancement on an MRI or CT, which would make areas of inflammation or a tumor brighter because those things cause increased blood flow. By this logic, a non-enhancing lesion would be one that isn't brighter when you use contrast.

I read somewhere (non-credible source via google) that enhancing lesions mean the disease is in an active state. Not sure if this is true. But it would make sense from your explanation.
Tumor/inflammation-> enhancing
Cyst-->non-enhancing

I read somewhere (non-credible source via google) that enhancing lesions mean the disease is in an active state. Not sure if this is true. But it would make sense from your explanation.
Tumor/inflammation-> enhancing
Cyst-->non-enhancing

Hmm...cuz I know progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy is non-enhancing, multiple densities as well.

If someone could further elaborate? --> :thumbup: