Whats the easiest derm research to do timewise + your experiences in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunneria

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Umm, my med school like some others requires a research project to be done between M1-M2 summers including 1st semester of M2...essentially in anything medical-related and with a faculty member of the med school...Anyways, I have some basic science derm research w/ a pub under my belt already and I was looking to do something that didn't require that much of a time investment (i.e. both in terms of time invested grueling in lab and the time needed to get a pub). Furthermore, I'm not a big fan of putting more time into learning new techniques and taking the inevitable risks associated with basic science research -i..e.- how many weeks will it take to learn lab techniques, are you joining in the middle of a project, is the PI aggressive in getting publications...especially given the short amount of time of research and in the midst of med school classes, it would only seem fruitful to do something more efficient overall.

What's the next best thing? I'm guessing derm clinical research, but can you give me examples of projects you might have done over your summers at a med school in between M1-M2 just to guage how much time you invested and how worthwhile it was.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Many (if not most) dermatology programs also look at the quality of research.

Case reports are quick and easy but as such, are "worth less".

Just the mindset of the faculty at my program although I suspect this is probably not unique to my program.

Many (if not most) dermatology programs also look at the quality of research.

Case reports are quick and easy but as such, are "worth less".

Just the mindset of the faculty at my program although I suspect this is probably not unique to my program.

well...still a case rep is better than no pub