1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

Whats the longest youve studied for...

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by bluesTank, Feb 16, 2007.

1. bluesTank

bluesTank Zombie
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What is the longest amount of time you guys have studied for in one sitting without "extended" breaks. I try and make myself study for hours but I get so tired and bored I just cant do it for more then like 3 hours. Just wondering how everyone else has been.

2. bob123456

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    16 hours excluding bathroom breaks.

3. RAD11

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :eek:

4. Raerfani10

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    gunner.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did close to 7 the other day. I had to go and have a few beers though after a session like that. (bathroom breaks, quick sandwhich included)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. xucardsfan08

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've definitely done 12+ hours straight. I'm no gunner just that last semester, by coincidence, most of my classes had their tests scheduled within 2 days of each other. 4 tests, 2 weeks off, 4 tests....etc was the norm.

7. MedChic

MedChic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's crazy! Your brain needs a break every 3-4 hours or your studying is ineffective, even if the break is 20 min. Also there is only about 8-9 hours when your productivity peaks in the day; anything past that and you're just torturing yourself - unless maybe you're reading new material that is fascinating or something...uh oh, all the gunners are gonna gang up on me now and call me a slacker...:eek:

8. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    you're no slacker... perhaps a bit unmotivated...

i kid i kid.:D

9. mastamark

mastamark Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :confused:

No..You are correct. Studies show that mental accuity only peaks a total of about 8 hours a day. I think it is usually early in the morning and somewhere in the afternoon. This might have had a primal use for hunting or foraging for food. Most people know that studying for extended periods of time is counter-productive. Gotta take a break every so often. In fact "stuff" doesn't really hang on until you go to sleep at night, and if you study for 13 hours straight and only sleep 5-8 hours I don't see where it adds up. :confused:

10. Tuck

Tuck Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Most recommendations indicate that you need to take a 10-15 minute break each hour to really maximize your study time. I know that when I switched to this method I actually cut out about 3 hours of studying in an 8 hour session (longer if you include the breaks).

11. xucardsfan08

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Remember the OP said without "extended breaks". This isn't to say that my 12-16+ hour study sessions never included a game of pool or breaks every 2 hours, just not "extensive breaks". I would consider a 5min break every hour/2 a necessary breather from the current material.

12. hotgirlpinklips

hotgirlpinklips Membership Revoked
    Removed

Hey guys,

I take a long time to study, because I like to take my time and read each and every sentence in my Kaplan books. However, I know a hypnotist who was able to hypnotize someone to have a photographic memory, and he was able to study for his mcat in a couple of hours, and he recalled everything with laser precision!!! Do you believe in hypnotism and if it can help in MCAT studying? I'm almost thinking about approaching the hypnotist that I know!

13. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If it sounds too good to be true, then it just might be... On the other hand, my mind is open to things that seem unconventional. It sure can't hurt to give it a try, if you feel so inclined. It seems harmless at first glance. Just don't expect too much, otherwise you might become disappointed. Remember, you are looking at n=1, and anecdotal at that, certainly not at all sufficient to suggest anything about the efficacy of the treatment.

I think, if anything, the hypnotism likely increases focus and concentration, important elements in memory formation. I'd be curious, however, to see the effect of the method on retention, long-term. That would be telling.

Finally, keep in mind that while it's important to know the material for the MCAT, a photographic recall of the studied concepts won't necessarily be all that grand, if you aren't able to apply the memorized facts to the situations that the MCAT presents them in. Remember, the MCAT is only partly a test of knowledge, the rest involves being an effective test taker, who knows how to read and interpret the material quickly and efficiently under stress, and then being able to rapidly apply your knowledge in unfamiliar contexts. Memorizing the facts simply aren't enough, in my opinion.

14. TypeA

TypeA Hola peeps.
    10+ Year Member

Then I guess I am one too.

15. souslepont

souslepont That's unpossible!
    2+ Year Member

I totally agree. I honestly can't study for more than an hour without at least a 15 or 20 minute break...if I don't take the break, I don't retain anything and just give up. Also, I can never remember anything I learn after about 8:00 at night. Late-night cramming is useless for me!

16. akinf

akinf Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Probably 7-8 hours straight...I had no idea where the time had gone. I just remember getting up and being barely able to walk.