What's the max # of EM rotations for the current cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know for sure that you can only have one away rotation.

I have sometimes heard it said that you should only have one EM rotation period. However, this seems unofficial; in fact, my school, which has no residency program, has changed policies so that we can now take TWO home EM rotations instead of just one. I am planning on doing one away and two home rotations, which my school has approved. Do I have anything to worry about?

Members don't see this ad.

I know for sure that you can only have one away rotation.

I have sometimes heard it said that you should only have one EM rotation period. However, this seems unofficial; in fact, my school, which has no residency program, has changed policies so that we can now take TWO home EM rotations instead of just one. I am planning on doing one away and two home rotations, which my school has approved. Do I have anything to worry about?

Yes. You definitely should worry if you do this. The CORD/EMRA/ACEP/SAEM recommendation is to do one EM rotation. One rotation max. If you have a home program, you do one home rotation, no away. If you have no home, one away.

Is it "official"? Depends on what you mean. They can't force you to only do one rotation. You can technically do whatever you want. But they can do whatever they want, and that means not interview you because you didn't listen. Understand that CORD has openly discussed in chats with students PD's holding this against the students that go against their recommendations during application season. You MAYBE will get away with 2 if you have a good excuse (though I wouldn't do it), but if you do 3 I think you really risk killing your application chances.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT do 3 EM rotations this cycle, you will almost certainly run the risk of PDs questioning why you thought their recommendations didn't apply to you, why you weren't a team player, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. You definitely should worry if you do this. The CORD/EMRA/ACEP/SAEM recommendation is to do one EM rotation. One rotation max. If you have a home program, you do one home rotation, no away. If you have no home, one away.

Is it "official"? Depends on what you mean. They can't force you to only do one rotation. You can technically do whatever you want. But they can do whatever they want, and that means not interview you because you didn't listen. Understand that CORD has openly discussed in chats with students PD's holding this against the students that go against their recommendations during application season. You MAYBE will get away with 2 if you have a good excuse (though I wouldn't do it), but if you do 3 I think you really risk killing your application chances.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT do 3 EM rotations this cycle, you will almost certainly run the risk of PDs questioning why you thought their recommendations didn't apply to you, why you weren't a team player, etc.

My institution has told me recently that I can do home rotations + 1 away and it should be no problem. Clerkship directors at 2 different institutions have confirmed that they are ok with me doing a home rotation and then doing an away rotation at their institution.

So it seems like there is a lot of conflicting opinions. The only thing that seems to be clearly agreed upon is only 1 SLOE and only 1 away.

Members don't see this ad :)
My institution has told me recently that I can do home rotations + 1 away and it should be no problem. Clerkship directors at 2 different institutions have confirmed that they are ok with me doing a home rotation and then doing an away rotation at their institution.

So it seems like there is a lot of conflicting opinions. The only thing that seems to be clearly agreed upon is only 1 SLOE and only 1 away.
If you list to the hangouts, they clarify a lot of the things associated with the statements. One of the hangouts they say at the very end for orphan students it's okay to do two if they can't find anything else and they tried to replace it. They also list a variety of other reasons why doing two is okay. But definitely don't do three. I'm sure most EM PDs don't have time to listen to the whole hangout to know that was put out, so take this with a word of caution that not all PDs will agree with it or know about the differing guidance.

There isn't conflicting info from the national organizations, its just that some PDs aren't sticking to the message. Every national organization has stuck to this recommendation. There are just some programs that are choosing not to follow it. And that's ok, no one is forced to stick to the recommendations. But realize that there have been PDs that have clearly stated that not following these recommendations make students look selfish. What percentage will hold it against you? I have no idea. This is unprecedented.

I have said from the beginning, my suspicion is, if you do one you will be fine. If you do two, you'll probably STILL be fine at most places you apply, but you may be asked about why you did two. If you do more than two, I think you are definitely running the risk of it being a big red flag. This is just my own suspicion on this. CORD/EMRA are still sticking to the one and only one, and they have openly said it will hurt you to do more. I just believe some PDs will probably be more lenient and ok with two if there are extenuating circumstances. But there will also be some that won't.

There isn't conflicting info from the national organizations, its just that some PDs aren't sticking to the message. Every national organization has stuck to this recommendation. There are just some programs that are choosing not to follow it. And that's ok, no one is forced to stick to the recommendations. But realize that there have been PDs that have clearly stated that not following these recommendations make students look selfish. What percentage will hold it against you? I have no idea. This is unprecedented.

I have said from the beginning, my suspicion is, if you do one you will be fine. If you do two, you'll probably STILL be fine at most places you apply, but you may be asked about why you did two. If you do more than two, I think you are definitely running the risk of it being a big red flag. This is just my own suspicion on this. CORD/EMRA are still sticking to the one and only one, and they have openly said it will hurt you to do more. I just believe some PDs will probably be more lenient and ok with two if there are extenuating circumstances. But there will also be some that won't.
I’m super confused. Don’t you at least need two EM rotations just to get your two needed SLOE’s?? I’ve talked to several residents at my home program who spoke of doing 2-3 away EM rotations?? From speaking with them, I never got the impression that you were only supposed to do one? So you are expected to confirm for yourself you want to apply to a specialty after rotating in it for 1 month?

I’m super confused. Don’t you at least need two EM rotations just to get your two needed SLOE’s?? I’ve talked to several residents at my home program who spoke of doing 2-3 away EM rotations?? From speaking with them, I never got the impression that you were only supposed to do one? So you are expected to confirm for yourself you want to apply to a specialty after rotating in it for 1 month?
This thread was about the 2020 cycle, which was different because of COVID pandemic.

Your understanding would be correct for years prior to 2020, and presumably will be correct once things get back to normal. IDK if they have said anything regarding 2021 expectations.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread was about the 2020 cycle, which was different because of COVID pandemic.

Your understanding would be correct for years prior to 2020, and presumably will be correct once things get back to normal. IDK if they have said anything regarding 2021 expectations.
Thanks for clearing of my confusion.