What's the problem with studying for the MCAT during school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the MCAT scores are curved to a mean of 500 and some previously determined standard deviation, so taking the MCAT during the school year when you're also taking classes shouldn't really put you at a disadvantage because you're only competing against other test-takers who are also in school while studying/taking the test. If you take it at the end of summer, you're competing against test-takers who spent all summer studying and preparing for the test. Why, then, is it "common wisdom" to avoid taking the MCAT during the year if you have to study for it and take classes concurrently?

Members don't see this ad.

I studied while taking classes and working, scored a 35. So I'd say it was a valuable use of my time. I wouldn't study more than 6 months out though, I feel like that's the point where you get basically no return for your effort. I studied a little bit each day, maybe an hour at first, then 3 months out hit the MCAT with every free moment of the day. I'm not saying my strategy is particularly advisable, just that I did what many recommend against and it worked for me.

Reactions: 3 users
I studied while taking classes and working, scored a 35. So I'd say it was a valuable use of my time. I wouldn't study more than 6 months out though, I feel like that's the point where you get basically no return for your effort. I studied a little bit each day, maybe an hour at first, then 3 months out hit the MCAT with every free moment of the day. I'm not saying my strategy is particularly advisable, just that I did what many recommend against and it worked for me.

Mad Jack I liked your old avatar better :(

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT is not curved, it is scaled.

Reactions: 1 users
If I'm not mistaken, the MCAT scores are curved to a mean of 500 and some previously determined standard deviation, so taking the MCAT during the school year when you're also taking classes shouldn't really put you at a disadvantage because you're only competing against other test-takers who are also in school while studying/taking the test. If you take it at the end of summer, you're competing against test-takers who spent all summer studying and preparing for the test. Why, then, is it "common wisdom" to avoid taking the MCAT during the year if you have to study for it and take classes concurrently?

I studied for the MCAT and took it during a semester when I had a tough 20-credit load, and did fine. So did most of my pre-med friends. That was back in the days when it was only given twice a year and you had to use a pencil.

But to address your point about the "competition"... you realize that not everybody who takes the MCAT is still in school, right? No matter when you take it, there will be other people who have done nothing but prepare during the months leading up to it. It doesn't matter anyway because that's not how the scoring works, but I thought I'd point out your misconception.

Reactions: 1 user
The MCAT is not curved, it is scaled.
Oh, I missed that whole point. OP, the MCAT is a scaled test that does not curve based on individual batches of test takers. Each question is assigned a difficulty based on how all test takers of all prior MCATs have performed on similar questions in the past, and a sufficient mix of question difficulties is included to ensure that each test is fair relative to any others. If you had a bad batch of test takers, they could all score 490- there is no curving of the test whatsoever.

Reactions: 1 users
Approximately how many hours did those of you who took the MCAT during the school year spend studying for it everyday? And how many months?

In general it's going to be different for every person and their workload/study habits in school.

The main concern is tanking your GPA, because you can't really fix that once it's done. However if someone is confident enough with their time management to handle a full course load + MCAT studying, then it's no problem.

Studied PS and BS sections only during finals week of winter semester (taking grad physiology, pchem, and other upper sci) and until early Jan (4 weeks-ish) -> was scoring 34-35 median -> received a score below my median but between 30-33.
If I studied strenuously that way for another month and included VR? I absolutely would've scored higher. My work load was high, including work-study, and didn't give myself enough dedicated studying time to stay consistent.
During the semester I tried to study, but found myself with little time. Everyone is different. I think 6 weeks DEDICATED (5hrs + day) is ideal with the final 2 weeks being all test taking/test strategies/working on weaknesses.

I wouldn't recommend it. Too much going on during the semester and MCAT studying is time consuming. Everyone is different but for me personally I like to focus on one or two major things at a time, I don't like having a billion large responsibilities all of the time. During the semester my priorities are research and school and doing MCAT on top of that would have taken away form the first two. Working over the summer and studying is perfectly viable though.

I studied for 4 months during the semester while working and researching (LizzyM 75). SDN is always saying to spend a whole summer dedicated to studying, but that is not necessary for everyone.

Some people may study much longer and do worse, while others may study less and do better. The point is that there is no magic time to study or amount of hours to put in because it is totally variable between individuals. You have to know yourself and be smart about your plan. Don't try to tackle it during the semester if you have been struggling enough with classes alone.

I think any effect this has on your score is negligible at best given the number of people taking the MCAT at any one time...it's really just a direct result of the amount of time you're studying if nothing else

The way I look at it, studying for the (old) MCAT is like taking a semester of English, Physics, Gen Chem, Orgo, and Bio in addition to your course load (though not quite as difficult as it's all review). It's definitely doable for some, but for me I couldn't bring myself to study for school and the MCAT at the same time because there's only so long I can force myself to retain boring information in a day. Studying for it while working full time was a cake walk for me, as I actually looked forward to using my brain academically again. It's really based on what works for you.

I took it while in school, and taking two prereqs. It helped me learn my biochem in fact. I will say that I go to a school that loves homework and papers, so I basically had no social life for a semester, I ended up with a balanced 95% (516) . You just need to make a schedule, keep to it and be prepared to delay a bit if you are not ready. By taking it in May I was able to spend the last week just taking sample tests every day to make sure I was ready.

The problem is time. Most "premeds" have terrible time management it as it is and thus will underestimate the MCAT when pressed for time = Carib ;)

Exactly HOW should one study for the MCAT? I have a study strategy which has been successful thus far (4.0 here) but it takes considerable time. Should I stick to that or do any of you have any tips on how to excel? Do you recommend just skimming the review books and doing a bunch of question problems, or should I KEEP my study habits and possibly take a gap year and score a really high MCAT, but then I have to wait until the next year to actually START medical school!! Thanks everybuggy!!!!!!!

Exactly HOW should one study for the MCAT? I have a study strategy which has been successful thus far (4.0 here) but it takes considerable time. Should I stick to that or do any of you have any tips on how to excel? Do you recommend just skimming the review books and doing a bunch of question problems, or should I KEEP my study habits and possibly take a gap year and score a really high MCAT, but then I have to wait until the next year to actually START medical school!! Thanks everybuggy!!!!!!!
Keep in mind that if you already took the prerequisite classes and learned the material pretty well the first time, you are not learning a bunch of new things. So it shouldn't take you as long when you are just trying to brush up on things and do practice problems.