What's the purpose of programs asking how many programs an applicant applied to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ObGynDestined

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to get an answer from a program director. What exactly does this tell you or how does it impact the applicant? Is applying to a lot a bad thing? Are people less likely to rank you if they feel that you applied to a lot, feeling that someone will rank you or...? I am just really curious. Also, since it is supposed to be an illegal question to ask, how do you answer this politely, but not? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a program director, but from what I've been told, some programs use this as a way to gauge your likelihood of ranking them high. For example, if you're interviewing at a community program or a lower ranked program, but you've also applied to highly ranked programs, the lower ranked program may assume that you're using them as a backup.

I also think that programs want to know who their competition is. I find that the question usually gets asked to really good candidates. Usually if you try to answer vaguely, they'll ask you for specifics so they can tell you how their program is different/better than the others you just mentioned.

I agree that it shouldn't matter. I'm applying for fellowship right now and it's unbelievable the amount of pressure you can get from programs wanting to know what you think of them. It's crazy and uncomfortable. Always be vague, though. Hold your cards close. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both!

Another reason I was given the other day from someone in general surgery was that an applicant who applies to a lot of program, is likely unsure of themselves, and someone that applies to too few programs may be overly cocky/confident. I took that with a grain of salt, as it did come from one person, who seems a bit overly opinionated.

Based on how last years match went, most of the people I have spoke with applied to a lot of programs.

Thank you very much, I will hold onto answering this question vaguely.

Thank you both!

Another reason I was given the other day from someone in general surgery was that an applicant who applies to a lot of program, is likely unsure of themselves, and someone that applies to too few programs may be overly cocky/confident. I took that with a grain of salt, as it did come from one person, who seems a bit overly opinionated.

Based on how last years match went, most of the people I have spoke with applied to a lot of programs.

Thank you very much, I will hold onto answering this question vaguely.

I dunno, i think it depends what the truth is and who your audience is. For example: I applied to a lot of programs, probably more than average, and they range from small community hospital to large, well known universities which might be the case for most of us. Depending on my audience I'll be more or less vague.

I'd always start with the truth - that I applied to a lot because i wanted to get a feel for all the different types of ob/gyn programs and want to see what it'd be like to work in a community-level setting vs. a large-scale academic setting vs. somewhere with a little bit of both. Then depending on my audience and the feel I get from that particular program, I'd say: and I'm pretty sure I want more academics OR I really like the community feel and if I want to pursue academics, I will take that on myself. I dunno, something like that.. i'd obviously give it more thought pre-interview. haha. Honestly, though, it's the truth and i think it's a fair answer, as always.

I can tell you from experience that there is no one universal reason why this question is asked. Most of the time it is probably being asked to help create a profile for your residency search preferences. In other words, it helps programs to see your strategy in seeking out residencies (i.e. are you taking a shotgun approach and seeing what "sticks" or is your search a more refined and focused one?) This type of information will speak volumes about your personal interests since candidates, funny enough, usually only tend apply to those programs that they are acutually interested in. This type of information can be used in a variety of different ways to establish the liklihood of you choosing one program over the other. Programs are well aware that candidates may not be completely forthcoming with their answers, so getting a glimpse into your subconscious preferences allows them to get a more truthful answer.

Now remember, programs will not have access to this information unless you volunteer it to them. That being said, I cannot reiterate the importance of kfire326's advice - say the truth. I'm not suggesting that you divulge all information when asked, I'm just saying that you should make you sure to tell the truth when you do give information. How much information you give is up to you. That being said, I cannot think of a single case where a candidate's standing or rank was affected by the number or type of programs that they had applied to.

Good luck with the match!