What's the value in getting a DPT if one already has a PT degree?

Started by ocwaveoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated back in 95 with a BS degree. I've been a manager at Kaiser supervising over PT/OT/ST of more than 15 staff members without a MPT or a DPT degree. I'm not downplaying the significance of getting a higher degree. Who wouldn't like to have a higher degree? However, what is the financial and career advantage in getting a DPT? I'm sure theoretically it'd be easier to move up to be a manager with a DPT. But, how real is that? Can someone explain with some specific examples?
 
I think the only advantage would be if there are teaching/research responsibilities involved in the position in question. Otherwise I think a track record of solid real world experience is going to beat out a degree any day in this field. The difference in training just is not that great.

J
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated back in 95 with a BS degree. I've been a manager at Kaiser supervising over PT/OT/ST of more than 15 staff members without a MPT or a DPT degree. I'm not downplaying the significance of getting a higher degree. Who wouldn't like to have a higher degree? However, what is the financial and career advantage in getting a DPT? I'm sure theoretically it'd be easier to move up to be a manager with a DPT. But, how real is that? Can someone explain with some specific examples?

Correct me if I am wrong but perhaps moving to a DPT is a move by the APTA to put the profession on more of an even playing field with chiros in the out-patient private practice setting.
 
You are probably right.
Chiros get referred as "doctor". I'm wondering why say, PharmDs and DPT grads don't get referred as "doctors"?
 
If you talk to PT faculty, you may be suprised. The DPT credential is a clinical vs academic doctorate. If you are interested in teaching - you may want to consider a terminal doctorate such as a Ph.D. or Ed.D or D.Sc.. The DPT, at least right now, has very little value. A few years from now, I think DPT will be the standard and may offer more advantages.

One program to consider is the D.Sc. offered by Texas Tech, particularly if you are interested in orthopedics. I plan to apply to this program next year if med school doesn't pan out. It is a terminal doctorate allowing an easier path into academics should you choose. At the same time, the course load is heavily clinical.

I thought about working toward my DPT, but other than the title the DPT offers very little to enhance my career at the present time.