What's there to say about taking it a 3rd time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

businesspremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating taking it a 3rd time...

I have GPA of 3.52, and my MCATs have been: (Aug 03 - 25Q, Apr 04 - 24R...), excellent EC's, worked all through college, excellent LOR's, medium clinical experience, and various and extensive research experience, and Texas Resident...What do you all think? thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

The big question is whether your score will improve. Did you study more for the second time, or did you take it cold both times, or did you study hard for both? If it's unlikely that you'll improve, then it would be detrimental to retake.
However, if you think you can buckle down and kick it in August, then go forth and conquer.

I?d say retake it. With your GPA I think it would be better to have a higher MCAT score.

My Princeton Review verbal teacher went to medical school with a guy who took the MCAT five times. Three times isn?t that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smile80 said:
I have taken it three times. It sucks but sometimes you just have to.

This will be my third time. I never thought that I'd have to take this test so many times, but I'm not willing to let this one thing to keep me out of med school! I say give it all you got for Aug.! Just think, there are plenty of people who have taken it more than three times.

SCB said:
Just think, there are plenty of people who have taken it more than three times.
You need special permission for each time after 3... I don't know how hard it is to get, but keep that in mind.

This will be my third time. From what I understand the "special" permission to take the test more than three times is providing proof that you are applying to med school--a rejection letter, advisor letter, etc. MCAT is not going to keep you from taking the test as long as they're sure you don't work for Kaplan, TPR, and so on.

MechE said:
My Princeton Review verbal teacher went to medical school with a guy who took the MCAT five times. Three times isn?t that bad.

I thought 3 was the limit?

I spoke with the Dean of the Natural Sciences Dept today at my University and she basically reiterated that if I want to take it again, I have to make a significant improvement, otherwise, a 1 to 2 point differential just is not worth the time spent trying to move up in a short timeframe. I think I am going to sleep on it again and then decide whether to delay my apps til August and re-take the MCAT or apply as my scores stand and if it doesnt go well, kick the **** out of the MCAT in April 2005. I really want to kick it in the ass this August especially since my weak scores are in in bio and physical science and i really think that if i focus enough i can move those scores up and keep my verbal at 9 and hopefully higher....

I have a friend who took the MCAT three times and her score went up from a 26 to 28 to 33. So, there is hope. Good luck!