What's this I hear about money?

Started by 1ive2die
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You know what? When I share something of myself, and a stuck-up rich kid decides to **** on my father's career - 30 years of honest work - I should stop reading the thread.

Troll 1 - Me 0

Here here! There is not a DAMN thing wrong with a good trade. I am actually trained and/or licensed in a few (aircraft mech / machinist / electrician). The reason I am changing to Pharm is because I want to do something different NOT because trades are lesser in any way.

I honestly think too much emphasis is being placed on "college for everyone". The world will always need skilled tradesmen or else everything will just fall apart.
 
All I will say is, you have to sleep sometime...


And it's owle, don't worry about it though, common mistake.

It was an intentional misspelling. :laugh: I was trying to make light of an owl and a squirrel being friends. That would probably not end well for the little furry animal... 😱
 
Are you serious? I'm so glad All4MyDaughter is responding to you - patience of a saint. You are ridiculous!

Thanks, darling! I had to stop because I was just getting weary with the attitude. And with being lectured about "how things are" by a kid with barely any life experience under his belt. I really *hope* I wasn't like that when I was in my early 20's. I fear that I probably was. 🙁

Maybe you should learn the definition of a profession before you call me out. Professions are self regulated. For example, lawyers, doctors, engineers, nurses, financial analysts, accountants, teachers, pharmacists, etc. are professionals. Transportation management is not. It's some obscure field that people fall into after obtaining unrelated degrees and isn't what I was intending to compare to pharmacy when I initially posted in this thread.

Agree about the definition of "profession" - but the fact that one works outside of a self defined, self regulated occupation doesn't mean that they are not professional. But anyway...

You do understand that the VAST majority of "middle management" jobs don't meet your definition of "professional," right? The definition of a middle manager is one who manages other people and compiles information and reports to upper level management. This job doesn't always require a license, nor a specific degree, nor a special set of skills beyond those learned via OJT at the company. Yes, the Accounting Manager is a middle manager AND a member of a profession (accountants). But the "Call Center Manager" and the "Food Service Director" and the "Director of Development" and the "Customer Service Manager" are all also middle management, despite not belonging to defined professions.

I don't think you understand the job titles you're reading on that list. "Transportation Manager" is someone in management at a transportation company... "Gaming Manager" is someone who manages operations at a casino, race track or other such establishment. The profession they belong to is simply "Management," although as you noted earlier, that doesn't technically qualify as a "profession."

But back to hubby's career as a poorly paid, non-professional middle manager in an "obscure" (your word) field. I guess you could say this company is obscure... :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Edited to remove. I realized how much I was ranting simply because I was baited by a troll, and it bothered me. Zoupa is not going to stop being arrogant or naive due to a post on a board on the interwebz. I guess it bothers me most that people actually look down with this much disdain on the 80+% of the rest of us who work hard just to maintain, much less climb out of upper lower / lower middle class.

Also - I reiterate - it's fun to make up numbers.

You know what? When I share something of myself, and a stuck-up rich kid decides to **** on my father's career - 30 years of honest work - I should stop reading the thread.

Troll 1 - Me 0

Actually I grew up poor. And if you think I made those numbers up, then you're the one who's naive.
 
Thanks, darling! I had to stop because I was just getting weary with the attitude. And with being lectured about "how things are" by a kid with barely any life experience under his belt. I really *hope* I wasn't like that when I was in my early 20's. I fear that I probably was. 🙁



Agree about the definition of "profession" - but the fact that one works outside of a self defined, self regulated occupation doesn't mean that they are not professional. But anyway...

You do understand that the VAST majority of "middle management" jobs don't meet your definition of "professional," right? The definition of a middle manager is one who manages other people and compiles information and reports to upper level management. This job doesn't always require a license, nor a specific degree, nor a special set of skills beyond those learned via OJT at the company. Yes, the Accounting Manager is a middle manager AND a member of a profession (accountants). But the "Call Center Manager" and the "Food Service Director" and the "Director of Development" and the "Customer Service Manager" are all also middle management, despite not belonging to defined professions.

I don't think you understand the job titles you're reading on that list. "Transportation Manager" is someone in management at a transportation company... "Gaming Manager" is someone who manages operations at a casino, race track or other such establishment. The profession they belong to is simply "Management," although as you noted earlier, that doesn't technically qualify as a "profession."

But back to hubby's career as a poorly paid, non-professional middle manager in an "obscure" (your word) field. I guess you could say this company is obscure... :laugh:

Like I said before, I don't see the point in comparing non-professional jobs to a profession like pharmacy. I was intending to compare engineering, finance, etc. I've said this like 5 times. I didn't mean to compare the likes of 'customer service management.'
 
Like I said before, I don't see the point in comparing non-professional jobs to a profession like pharmacy. I was intending to compare engineering, finance, etc. I've said this like 5 times. I didn't mean to compare the likes of 'customer service management.'


You used the term "middle management." The whole issue has been your comparision of pharmacy to MIDDLE MANAGEMENT. You were the one who pulled out the BLS stats for management jobs. Now you're claiming that you only want to compare pharmacy to select "professions" like engineering, finance etc. Fine. But that's not the same as middle management. Thanks for clarifying though.
 
Zoupa - instead of crying "BS," I will instead cry "Outlier!"

Not really an outlier. I think that a lot of people are just unaware about the earning potential in certain fields.

You used the term "middle management." The whole issue has been your comparision of pharmacy to MIDDLE MANAGEMENT. You were the one who pulled out the BLS stats for management jobs. Now you're claiming that you only want to compare pharmacy to select "professions" like engineering, finance etc. Fine. But that's not the same as middle management. Thanks for clarifying though.

Yeah that was a mistake. And no problem.
 
I'm reminded of my former coworker who has practiced pharmacy for over 30yrs...he is now shocked at how high the incomes are for pharmacists these days. I heard about phlebotomists making so little despite having to cut open veins and draw blood. I think this is scarier more difficult than having to deal with paperwork getting reimbursed by Medicaid.

Oh, and the story about how an engineer met a pharmacist at a dating service site and then he (the engineer) absolutely freaked out at how much the pharmacist made and stopped contacting her. That pharmacist went onto to marry another pharmacist. Teehee.
I disagree...Phlebotomy is a certificate program and only requires a GED. It's 12 credit hours or less from most community colleges, max 8 week program. Ive seen courses 2 weeks long. With a quick search on google, I even see a one day certificate program...🙄

You know what I think is scary? That they can do it in so little time with only a handful of pricks and draws on real human arms instead of dummies. Their pay doesn't shock me at all. It used to be a strong trade, but you wouldn't know that today.
 
Not really an outlier. I think that a lot of people are just unaware about the earning potential in certain fields.

Man, If I had the connections to make it in business, I would drop pharmacy in a second. I work for the business department at my school, and they make it out to be a "good old boys" kind of environment.
 
Man, If I had the connections to make it in business, I would drop pharmacy in a second. I work for the business department at my school, and they make it out to be a "good old boys" kind of environment.

Your paper credentials are the most important for business. That is, your school, GPA, extracurriculars, internships (you need the previous 3 to get the internships). That's pretty much it. After that just get through the interview.

I had an interview with mckinsey, but I didn't have enough time to thoroughly learn case interviews.
 
Being completely honest... if I didn't need money, I wouldn't even think about working.

So yeah, I work to pay the bills. So money is important to me. I don't think I'll enjoy any career, but there are some things that I'd like to have (autonomy, reasonable working hours) and avoid (stress).

I'm not sure why you'd pick pharmacy if you're main goal is career fulfillment. I can't imagine anyone being excited going to work at a pharmacy every day. Pretty monotonous stuff. But it has perks like low stress and pretty good pay.

.

Just because you can't imagine anyone being excited about working in a pharmacy, doesn't mean no one can. Reminds me of the famous words of a really closed-minded, ignorant person - "I don't understand why anyone would like cheese pizza. It's so plain. How can anyone like cheese pizza?"

And you talk about monotony? Pretty much every single job/career is doing the same thing in repetition and in a routine. Think about it. When you find a job in whatever field, you will be doing the same thing over every day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
go into pharmaceutical industry if ya want well-paying middle management

if you just want money, you need luck, networking skills, a cut-throat attitude, good looks, and be an investment banker...retire at 35