Whats up with John H. Stroger (Cook County) in Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxBoy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to:

Loyola: Rejected
Advocate: Rejected
U of Illinois: No word back but they sent out IVs
Northwestern: No word back but they sent out IVs

Didn't apply to Rush (heard they work you like a dog) or U of Chicago (Extremely competitive)

So that leaves us with Cook County... They haven't sent IVs, at least according to SDN. No response from them. Anyone hear anything from these dudes? I know its not the best program but its 11/17 with no word at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Programs like Cook wait til late in the season to invite. You'll find this with some prelim and transitional programs too. The reason probably being that lots of people applied to the program as a backup and they don't want to schedule invites that will turn into cancellations. Waiting til later in the interview season will lead to interviews with people who are really interested.

Just my thoughts.

Has anybody interviewed at this program recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed there last year and its not worth your time.

hah

what a piece of crap.

look at their residents. it looks like a dumping ground

It is Cook County Hospital...Did you hear you guys about Winnie? Or Franco? Or the first blood bank in the USA? Or the biggest county hospital in the great USA?
Screening the previous posts made me to get some Zofran.
As http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=579885 what does it mean? feelgood please be polite - it will help you in your career and life.
About the name - it is a f...ing joke. Also the support staff. I bet that now with a new president is even worse. I would recommend the program for residents that are ready for challenges. And this is anesthesia about.

I hv been accepted for a peds cardio elective in beginning of 2013. How good is the elective at Cooks ? Do you get to learn? Also, is it an counted as an official elective like the rest. Has anyone has prior elective experience there? I m an IMG and eager to know more about Cooks County. & about housing too.
Thanks so much:)

whats up guys
i must say i am really surprised but what some people have had to say about this program. i did my anesthesia rotation at cook county and i was impressed by the knowledgeable staff and friendly residents. It was really easy to approach the staff and everyone seemed to get along well.
This program DEFIANTLY has a PD, Dr. Ned Nasr. His door was always open for everybody who rotated with me and he was also very helpful. They have also received maximum accreditation from ACGME. I am not sure what this program used to be like in the past, but its deff a program i would apply to and consider seriously.

I DEFIANTLY don't think this was written by a medical student. :rolleyes:

I am an IMG, I recently did an anesthesia rotation at Cook County. I had a really great experience. We were given assignments to do and a book and were instructed to go over answers with the residents. All of the residents were very eager to teach and go over the questions. We had lots of opportunities to learn. The attendings were excellent, especially Dr. Franco who is an expert at regional anesthesia. I was able to to follow any one of the residents or attendings and was given the chance to intubate, insert IV's, assist in epidurals/spinals, and even in blocks. This is a group of people who are friendly and approachable. Dr. Nasr, the program director is a wonderful man. The lectures given on Thursday mornings are invaluable. I noticed that all the residents were not only comfortable in their practice, but knowledgable as well. They are well prepared and have back up from upper classmen and attendings. I think if you have the desire to learn, you can turn any procedure or case into a learning experience. I got an interview with them because I showed interest in the field while I was there. This program produces well trained, well rounded anesthesiologists, and anyone who says differently, must not have put forth any effort whilest there.

I am an IMG, I recently did an anesthesia rotation at Cook County. I had a really great experience. We were given assignments to do and a book and were instructed to go over answers with the residents. All of the residents were very eager to teach and go over the questions. We had lots of opportunities to learn. The attendings were excellent, especially Dr. Franco who is an expert at regional anesthesia. I was able to to follow any one of the residents or attendings and was given the chance to intubate, insert IV's, assist in epidurals/spinals, and even in blocks. This is a group of people who are friendly and approachable. Dr. Nasr, the program director is a wonderful man. The lectures given on Thursday mornings are invaluable. I noticed that all the residents were not only comfortable in their practice, but knowledgable as well. They are well prepared and have back up from upper classmen and attendings. I think if you have the desire to learn, you can turn any procedure or case into a learning experience. I got an interview with them because I showed interest in the field while I was there. This program produces well trained, well rounded anesthesiologists, and anyone who says differently, must not have put forth any effort whilest there.

Thank you Dr. Nasr.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed there last year too. I had met Dr. Nasr at ASA, he's a real nice guy. Their interview day was a little weird because they literally had only one interview day for like 80 people. That said, it's a county hospital so you already know their budget is tight. I'm sure the cases there are legit, especially trauma. I got a chance to meet the chair too, he's an airway man, seemed like a real nice dude as well. I ranked them. They might not be able to pay for you to go for conferences, but it seemed like a lot of the doctors that I met there worked at a county hospital because they wanted to give back, they seemed like a dedicated bunch. I'm sure the training there is good. All the other stuff was not a big factor for me anyway.

I am in the middle of an anesthesia rotation at John Stroger/Cook County right now and wanted to write something here to update this forum a little bit because I have LOVED my experience. The residents have all been wonderful to work with and are always willing to teach, not to mention they have given me some valuable insight with regards to interview season and the upcoming match. I have been given much more responsibility and had more chances to practice procedures and intubations than in my last anesthesia rotation as well. Lastly, having a chance to listen to Dr. Franco lecture about ultrasound technique and nerve blocks alone has made this rotation worthwhile. I'd recommend rotating at Cook County to anyone who is interested in pursuing anesthesia, and while you're there make sure you get to know their program director (Dr. Nasr.) He's a very nice guy, approachable, and has been extremely helpful as I'm currently in the middle of interview season.