What's up with MDApps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YeOldeMan

Squinting at You
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, just recently learned of MDApps...I've been seeing phrases like "MDApps-verified" floating around, and I've been wondering whats up with it?
Is it just some website where you fill out a form with your GPA, MCAT, acceptances, etc? Or does it pull that data from AMCAS itself?

I don't know...it's just a little weird. There seems to be a rather large population of 3.9+ GPAs and 36+ MCATs. Seriously, 8/10 MDApps that I pull up are like that. There could be reasons for the large wunderkind population, but, statistically speaking, it's not very likely. Maybe my sample was just big enough (lol...I didn't hit the magic stats number, I haven't viewed 30 profiles ;D).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, just recently learned of MDApps...I've been seeing phrases like "MDApps-verified" floating around, and I've been wondering whats up with it?
Is it just some website where you fill out a form with your GPA, MCAT, acceptances, etc? Or does it pull that data from AMCAS itself?

I don't know...it's just a little weird. There seems to be a rather large population of 3.9+ GPAs and 36+ MCATs. Seriously, 8/10 MDApps that I pull up are like that. There could be reasons for the large wunderkind population, but, statistically speaking, it's not very likely. Maybe my sample was just big enough (lol...I didn't hit the magic stats number, I haven't viewed 30 profiles ;D).

You put your own info in. Are you sure you haven't heard AMCAS-verified??? Because MDApps is not official at all. As far as the stats, I think it's just because a large amount of SDN members are the neurotic premeds who get those scores. And I'm sure there are people who exaggerate as well. But there are those profiles without those high scores. I see them frequently.

You put your own info in. Are you sure you haven't heard AMCAS-verified??? Because MDApps is not official at all. As far as the stats, I think it's just because a large amount of SDN members are the neurotic premeds who get those scores. And I'm sure there are people who exaggerate as well. But there are those profiles without those high scores. I see them frequently.

Thanks for the reply.

Now that I think about it, it probably was AMCAS-verified that I've been hearing.

Still though, while I have seen lower GPAs, MCATs, etc., it's still kind of weird how many 3.9/38-types there are...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also remember that those who post mdapps probably arent going ot post if they have a 3.1 and 27 mcat. Kind of how like if you look at the mcat scores on sdn it seems everyone is going to get a 34+. But I doubt those who bombed it want to advertise their 25 as much as those who got a 37. Anyways you can look at my md apps, its pathetic so maybe itll make you feel better after looking at all those insane 4.0 pre meds!:p

Thanks for the reply.

Now that I think about it, it probably was AMCAS-verified that I've been hearing.

Still though, while I have seen lower GPAs, MCATs, etc., it's still kind of weird how many 3.9/38-types there are...

I suppose. Sometimes I wonder how many people actually exaggerate on their mdapps. I don't really see the point in doing that, but I know there are people who think that I've lied on mine.

I'm not trying to single anybody out, of course, I'm just a little surprised by the high stats. There are definitely people out there 3.8+/36+ ...I just wasn't aware they constituted 80% of the pre-med population ;D. GPA on 'roids!

Also remember that those who post mdapps probably arent going ot post if they have a 3.1 and 27 mcat. Kind of how like if you look at the mcat scores on sdn it seems everyone is going to get a 34+. But I doubt those who bombed it want to advertise their 25 as much as those who got a 37. Anyways you can look at my md apps, its pathetic so maybe itll make you feel better after looking at all those insane 4.0 pre meds!:p

I don't feel bad...just a little nervous after glimpsing the competition.
Besides, your stats are good! Why would you think they are pathetic? I'm sure you'll get in somewhere.
Anyhow, definitely good reasoning!

Regards,
-YOM

I'm not trying to single anybody out, of course, I'm just a little surprised by the high stats. There are definitely people out there 3.8+/36+ ...I just wasn't aware they constituted 80% of the pre-med population ;D. GPA on 'roids!
Think about it. The higher your stats, the more likely you are to make an MDApps.

Think about it. The higher your stats, the more likely you are to make an MDApps.

This is absolutely the case! I think pre-meds as a whole are a pretty anal group of people, and then SDN attracts a subset of that, and then MDApps picks an even smaller subset of that. For everyone person on SDN or MdApps, there are TONS out there that aren't. I've recently come on SDN because I wanted to learn about schools, and I also just quit my job and have more free time, but I remember when I first looked on SDN, I was freaking out because everyone had already sent in their secondaries, and I was just chilling. I got them in eventually ;-).

One thing I never understood though, and partially why you see a lot of high numbers sometimes, is people make up numbers and say they are trying to remain anonymous... is that something that is common? What's the concern, that someone from adcom will see it and make decisions off of it?