what's up with UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbs152

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IL resident and UIC is one of my top choices. I've been verified since mid-June, and was prepared to get the secondary and send it in as soon as it came out. So, when I heard that people started receiving secondaries yesterday I checked my email and have not gotten anything. I frantically checked my email the rest of the day and still haven't gotten anything.

I was worried that I was screened out, but I couldn't believe that because people with lower GPAs and MCAT scores have been accepted. I ended up calling the Admissions office and asked what they meant by "eligible applicants". They said an eligible applicant is basically somebody that has taken the MCAT.

I then asked if the secondary invites were sent out yet, and they said that they have not been, and will be released today.

Has anyone else applied and not received an invite? I know secondaries were released yesterday, but I don't want to call them and tell them that. What should I do now?

Members don't see this ad.

i posted the link to the secondary in the secondaries thread. go find it, you can fill it out email or not.

on a related note, what's up with the UIC secondary? there isn't enough room in their stupid word document to write everything out. i tried to call to ask for help today but oh no, their office will answer questions on Thursdays. great.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you should relax. if you're waiting a week longer than other applicants, then worry.

modelslashactor said:
i posted the link to the secondary in the secondaries thread. go find it, you can fill it out email or not.

on a related note, what's up with the UIC secondary? there isn't enough room in their stupid word document to write everything out. i tried to call to ask for help today but oh no, their office will answer questions on Thursdays. great.

Just go ahead and fill in your info. on another sheet and send it in. I was on the quarter system in undergrad and as a result I couldn't fit my courses and grades in b/c they left that space for people on the semester system. They have no problem with people sending this stuff in on an attached sheet(s). I don't know if the 250 word spaces allow enough room for their two short essays but I'd send those in on an attached sheet of paper as well if there isn't. They did this in their application last year. People had no choice but to send in more paperwork.

use their pdf instead and make some form fields. its tedious but makes it neater and easier to use. (this is of course if you have the full version)

OP, I don't know why you didn't get UIC. I got both the status check link and my link to the secondary, yesterday. Hm. Strange. I was verified 6-23. When were you verified?

i was verified on 6/19. i thought maybe they were sending out a few yesterday, but it doesn't seem like anyone else hasn't gotten theirs.

I was verified by AMCAS on 6-8 and I have been getting secondaries from schools that are screening but still have not gotten one from UIC. I am out of state though.

redair said:
I was verified by AMCAS on 6-8 and I have been getting secondaries from schools that are screening but still have not gotten one from UIC. I am out of state though.

if anyone cares, i sent an email to the webmaster a few hours ago. i just got an email with a password. Not sure if it was because of my email or they just happened to send them out. anyway, it's all good

modelslashactor said:

I applied last year and the same problem came up with their word document. You have to go to the tools tab and click unprotect the document or something like that and the problems with the space will be solved. Good luck

what i didn't realize is that psychology is required! i guess i won't be sending in my secondary...

sanche, absolutely brilliant. hope the app cycle treated you well!

Members don't see this ad :)
also, another quick question: for the activities section, are you guys just copying your amcas? a bunch of mine were one time things, ie awards and that sort of jazz that do not belong here.

leahmaria said:
what i didn't realize is that psychology is required! i guess i won't be sending in my secondary...

I think you can take it this upcoming year or over the summer and still apply. My friend took it after he got accepted.

Since you are allowed to go over the 250 character limit by sending additional paperwork, is there really a character limit? I was thinking about using my essay for the University of Chicago secondary to answer the first UIC secondary question.

know if it is mandatory to have completed three psych courses? I have never taken a psych class but have taken a humanities and a religion course. Just wondering.

leahmaria said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Before I thought it was just a vague "behavioral studies" requirement that I could somehow satisfy (with what I don't know, since I have mostly engineering classes), but on the secondary it's very clear that you need 2 semesters of psych + 1 of some other "behavioral science." I don't think state schools should be allowed to impose extra requirements like this - I feel like I'm getting gipped out of my state school!

My current plan is to go ahead with it and take the courses after I'm accepted if need be, which of course would be the last thing I would want to do in that summer, which makes me wonder why bother with UIC at all...

dimebag darrell said:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Before I thought it was just a vague "behavioral studies" requirement that I could somehow satisfy (with what I don't know, since I have mostly engineering classes), but on the secondary it's very clear that you need 2 semesters of psych + 1 of some other "behavioral science." I don't think state schools should be allowed to impose extra requirements like this - I feel like I'm getting gipped out of my state school!

My current plan is to go ahead with it and take the courses after I'm accepted if need be, which of course would be the last thing I would want to do in that summer, which makes me wonder why bother with UIC at all...

Just go ahead with it and see how far it gets you. I seriously doubt they are going to focus on the details of the behavioral/psych courses you took in undergrad. Most schools integrate these pre-req's as part of your bachelor's.

The only additional prereq's I'd worry about is for schools that require a statistics course. Those schools require that you have it done before starting.

I don't think the psych prereq is that big of a deal so long as you took the three behavioral science courses. My three were:

1. General Psychology
2. Physical Anthropology
3. Cultural Geography

BerkeleyMD said:
Just go ahead with it and see how far it gets you. I seriously doubt they are going to focus on the details of the behavioral/psych courses you took in undergrad. Most schools integrate these pre-req's as part of your bachelor's.

The only additional prereq's I'd worry about is for schools that require a statistics course. Those schools require that you have it done before starting.

I don't think the psych prereq is that big of a deal so long as you took the three behavioral science courses. My three were:

1. General Psychology
2. Physical Anthropology
3. Cultural Geography

I guess my problem is that I am an engineering major. Most schools probably integrate behavioral sciences as core requirements if you are a bio major. I suppose I'm out of luck; neurobio is as close as I have gotten to behavioral science, to my knowledge.

Thanks for the input anyhow!

dimebag darrell said:
I guess my problem is that I am an engineering major. Most schools probably integrate behavioral sciences as core requirements if you are a bio major. I suppose I'm out of luck; neurobio is as close as I have gotten to behavioral science, to my knowledge.

Thanks for the input anyhow!

Yeah, I gotcha, I was BioE until I realized just how much engineering was needed.

Good Luck tho!

hopefulM.D. said:
know if it is mandatory to have completed three psych courses? I have never taken a psych class but have taken a humanities and a religion course. Just wondering.

unless they've changed it from last year, the requirement is to have taken three courses total in psych, sociology or anthropology. but, you had to have at least two in the same discipline.

i.e. Psych 1, Psych 2 and Soc 1 (which is what i did).

I'm out of state for UIC and it wasn't near the top of my list...and I am not on campus fall semester and I don't plan on taking two psych courses in the spring...so...oh well i guess

anyone go to a school where lab courses are included with lecture? what did you write under 'lab title' and 'lab number'? i was just planning on copying the course info.

modelslashactor said:

Can you post that link now? I can't seem to find it in that thread.

sbs152 said:
anyone go to a school where lab courses are included with lecture? what did you write under 'lab title' and 'lab number'? i was just planning on copying the course info.
My courses were like that - and I was on the quarter system, so there wasn't enough room on the sheet given for all 3 quarters of my classes. So for my "Additional Info" page I made a table in Word that looked similar to theirs, and added the extra classes. I also left the Lab parts blank (or put N/A, I can't remember, I'm sure either is fine) and explained on the sheet that I was on quarters and that lab credit and grades were included with lecture. Nobody gave me a hassle about it, I guarantee they've seen in a million times before :)

jackieMD2007 said:
OP, I don't know why you didn't get UIC. I got both the status check link and my link to the secondary, yesterday. Hm. Strange. I was verified 6-23. When were you verified?
My statuc check link goes to the page, but under "current status" it just says to contact the office. I'm an OOS by the way.

Anyone else get this? I see no link to a secondary anywhere. If they don't want me, why make me call?

jbrice1639 said:
unless they've changed it from last year, the requirement is to have taken three courses total in psych, sociology or anthropology. but, you had to have at least two in the same discipline.

i.e. Psych 1, Psych 2 and Soc 1 (which is what i did).

It appears as though they did change the requirements, as rather than saying 3 behavioral sciences - with 2 being in the same discipline, it says that you need to have take 2 Psych courses.

Nothing on their website, nor in the MSAR says anything about this change. I also polietly emailed them about this, but have yet to hear a response.

Not that I don't think behavioral sciences are important for medicine, but psych courses at my school are a joke. Being an engineer and haven taken neurophysiology, I just couldn't sit through the intro psych class with a straight face. I hope they aren't too strict about this new requirement.