What's with all the doom and gloom? Am I missing something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CallMeBigJeff

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up nerds! I'm an MS3 pretty set into going into DR and I can't help but to get brought down from all the doom and gloom I read online.

I absolutely love Rads! I have a blast every time I go down to the reading rooms whenever I have free time during rotations, love the minor procedures, love the work environment and flow, love the art that goes into creating a report, love how attendings are absolute masters of knowledge, love the hours (in spite of call). In all honesty, to me it seems like the best specialty and it surprises me that there aren't more medical students jumping to it. Then, in all my excitement, I'll decide to go into some forums to see more about my exciting career choice! More often than not, I am greeted by posts written by current radiologists that are sometimes depressing, namely on AuntMinnie, and they sometimes make me wonder if I'm missing something.

I just wanted to get peoples' take on the doom and gloom painted by online forums sometimes. Maybe I'm looking for reassurance that I'm making the right move? I don't know.

Members don't see this ad.

Then, in all my excitement, I'll decide to go into some forums to see more about my exciting career choice! More often than not, I am greeted by posts written by current radiologists that are sometimes depressing, namely on AuntMinnie, and they sometimes make me wonder if I'm missing something.

I just wanted to get peoples' take on the doom and gloom painted by online forums sometimes. Maybe I'm looking for reassurance that I'm making the right move?

Ironic, innit?

Members don't see this ad :)
you are:
- 7 years away from an attending position
- 15-20 years from achieving financial independence (maybe shorter or longer depending on your loan situation).

AI will continue to get better. reimbursement will continue to decline. there is no way to know what rads will look like 10-20 years from now. a lot of unknowns.... but the knowns: you will be a broke student/ resident for the next 7 years, and your loans will continue to accrue interest at a high rate.

imo, a lot of the doom and gloom revolves around the above. and i don't think it's fear mongering or unwarranted. entering medicine these days - esp w/ COA - is risky business.

Reactions: 1 users
Every specialty does this. Try reading the rad onc forums. The path forums. The anesthesia forums. etc. Depression and sadness everywhere.

Reactions: 3 users
you are:
- 15-20 years from achieving financial independence (maybe shorter or longer depending on your loan situation).

AI will continue to get better. reimbursement will continue to decline. there is no way to know what rads will look like 10-20 years from now. a lot of unknowns.... but the knowns: you will be a broke student/ resident for the next 7 years, and your loans will continue to accrue interest at a high rate.

imo, a lot of the doom and gloom revolves around the above. and i don't think it's fear mongering or unwarranted. entering medicine these days - esp w/ COA - is risky business.

That definitely puts it in a different perspective, thank you! I'm hoping the AI hype is overblown or it will do nothing more than increase Rads productivity, but you're right, that uncertainty is definitely something that weighs heavy in my mind. Thanks for the blunt answer!

you are:

The “attending” position is par for the course for everyone. Everyone knew what they signed up for, so this shouldn’t come as any surprise.

Financial independence taking that long would result from you being irresponsible financially. Even with the absolute worst student loans (north of 400k principal), you should be able to narrow that down with the low end of the radiologist’s salary after 3 years post-residency, counting for interest accruing during residency, not counting for PSFL. Keep in mind many people don’t start medicine until they’re north of 30. Most of the people I know complaining are 24 acting like their life will be miserable because they won’t be able to afford a yacht at 35. This is all part of the larger tendency of people to catastrophize situations nowadays. We will be fine.

Reactions: 4 users
The “attending” position is par for the course for everyone. Everyone knew what they signed up for, so this shouldn’t come as any surprise.

Financial independence taking that long would result from you being irresponsible financially. Even with the absolute worst student loans (north of 400k principal), you should be able to narrow that down with the low end of the radiologist’s salary after 3 years post-residency, counting for interest accruing during residency, not counting for PSFL. Keep in mind many people don’t start medicine until they’re north of 30. Most of the people I know complaining are 24 acting like their life will be miserable because they won’t be able to afford a yacht at 35. This is all part of the larger tendency of people to catastrophize situations nowadays. We will be fine.

no, FI taking that long is with OP being as fiscally responsible as possible.

in your example: 3 years post-residency (year 10), loans gone. very reasonable. OK, now your net worth is like $0-$100k. you're going to need at least another 5-10 years (year 15-20) to amass a NW in which you would be financially independent.

no, FI taking that long is with OP being as fiscally responsible as possible.

in your example: 3 years post-residency (year 10), loans gone. very reasonable. OK, now your net worth is like $0-$100k. you're going to need at least another 5-10 years (year 15-20) to amass a NW in which you would be financially independent.

Agreed. FI 5 years out of training would be a real stretch...at least for me it would be.

Whats up nerds! I'm an MS3 pretty set into going into DR and I can't help but to get brought down from all the doom and gloom I read online.

I absolutely love Rads! I have a blast every time I go down to the reading rooms whenever I have free time during rotations, love the minor procedures, love the work environment and flow, love the art that goes into creating a report, love how attendings are absolute masters of knowledge, love the hours (in spite of call). In all honesty, to me it seems like the best specialty and it surprises me that there aren't more medical students jumping to it. Then, in all my excitement, I'll decide to go into some forums to see more about my exciting career choice! More often than not, I am greeted by posts written by current radiologists that are sometimes depressing, namely on AuntMinnie, and they sometimes make me wonder if I'm missing something.

I just wanted to get peoples' take on the doom and gloom painted by online forums sometimes. Maybe I'm looking for reassurance that I'm making the right move? I don't know.

I think it's great that you love radiology. I feel that you should definitely love what you go into. That being said, you obviously have to be honest about the field: it's a commoditized field where you are reading x number of studies / day. That's how you get paid. So AI will continue to make things more efficient...even if they don't replace radiologists...you will be expected to read more and more and more studies to make the same pay. Some attendings that I have talked to told me that it's not uncommon for you to read 150-200 studies a day at some places. Imagine this number going up even more with AI.

It is also one of the most vulnerable specialties when it comes to the economy. History is the best predictor of future events. You don't need to read people's opinions. Just take a look at the last recession, radiology was hit the most and had the worst in term of job prospects. IM and its subspecialties were most resilient to economic changes. With all that being said, I think if you still love the field despite all that then you should definitely choose it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think it's great that you love radiology. I feel that you should definitely love what you go into. That being said, you obviously have to be honest about the field: it's a commoditized field where you are reading x number of studies / day. That's how you get paid. So AI will continue to make things more efficient...even if they don't replace radiologists...you will be expected to read more and more and more studies to make the same pay. Some attendings that I have talked to told me that it's not uncommon for you to read 150-200 studies a day at some places. Imagine this number going up even more with AI.

It is also one of the most vulnerable specialties when it comes to the economy. History is the best predictor of future events. You don't need to read people's opinions. Just take a look at the last recession, radiology was hit the most and had the worst in term of job prospects. IM and its subspecialties were most resilient to economic changes. With all that being said, I think if you still love the field despite all that then you should definitely choose it.

Right on, I appreciate the advice. I agree, it most definitely feels like a commoditized field which doesn’t help when the AI discussion comes in. It’s very daunting to procede in spite of that uncertainty, but on the flip side, I’m not too sure how salty I’d feel if I don’t move forward with DR and 30 years down the line radiology is still as cool and chill as it is today.

As a DR rad for about 10 years, I address the "gloom and doom" attitude to radiology (the field I am in ) the same way you address the "gloom and doom" when a senior highschool student ask about medicine field in general (the field you are in) and the risks involved.

Physicians are one of the most risk averse people.
Do what you love.
Predicting things are hard, particularly about the future (I am paraphrasing others).

If I had to go through do medicine again, I would choose radiology in a heartbeat. This is something I know. If I have to choose others vs medicine, I am not so sure now since there is "gloom and doom" everywhere on the internet. How often MDs proclaim how great they love their jobs and that their jobs are the best things happen to them ? You tell me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Radiology is the best field in medicine. That's all you need to know. Otherwise leave medicine.

M4 here going into rads. One of the things that was holding me back from radiology was the "doom and gloom" you find here and on Aunt Minnie. Was actually about to submit applications for ortho (even though I HATED ortho clinic). I empathize with you a lot because I really LOVED radiology and all the attendings I worked with also loved their jobs, yet you feel like you would be making a mistake based on what's said on online forums. Its a sucky feeling.

Its like the attending above me had said, you hear the same doom and gloom about med school and the future of the physician profession in undergrad and high school. If I listened to all that, I would have never went to med school, and I sincerely think med school was the best thing to happen to me.

So likewise, I decided not to listen to all the noise and trust my gut feeling. Will it backfire? Are all the online radiologist right about the future of radiology? Idk, we'll have to find out on our own. All we can do is try to be the best physicians we can possibly be because thats the only thing that we can control.

I really do feel you dude, hope this helps.

Can't tell you what to do, but I applied for radiology during the lowest point of the job market going back 8 years from now. I remember reading this forum and aunt minnie about how the job market was going to be permanently depressed and it would never recover, and how you'd have to do 2 fellowships and only get a job in the boondocks, etc.

I believed it all and got myself wrapped up in this cloak of negativity and felt guilty and angry at myself for picking rads because I was certain that forum members knew exactly what they were talking about. 8 years later, job market is roaring and can work almost anywhere you want, and nobody even talks about job options now.

But now there's a new boogie man- AI. Seems like every 10 years in radiology there's a new doom and gloom out there-- MRI was going to have such great contrast that you wouldn't need radiologists, then Hillary care was going to capitate and cut payments and radiologists would starve, then PACS was going to ship all the studies to India, then the job market was going to be permanently horrendous...and now AI. I wonder what the next one will be.

I can't predict the future, but you can see the overarching theme here.

Reactions: 10 users
M4 here going into rads. One of the things that was holding me back from radiology was the "doom and gloom" you find here and on Aunt Minnie. Was actually about to submit applications for ortho (even though I HATED ortho clinic). I empathize with you a lot because I really LOVED radiology and all the attendings I worked with also loved their jobs, yet you feel like you would be making a mistake based on what's said on online forums. Its a sucky feeling.

Its like the attending above me had said, you hear the same doom and gloom about med school and the future of the physician profession in undergrad and high school. If I listened to all that, I would have never went to med school, and I sincerely think med school was the best thing to happen to me.

So likewise, I decided not to listen to all the noise and trust my gut feeling. Will it backfire? Are all the online radiologist right about the future of radiology? Idk, we'll have to find out on our own. All we can do is try to be the best physicians we can possibly be because thats the only thing that we can control.

I really do feel you dude, hope this helps.

I’d definitely does. Thanks man, and best of luck to you!

Old days of radiology: 9-5 slow paced job, well paid, less work, rarely if ever get called overnight. That's what many of the older generation signed up for and they had it for many years.

The reality is that radiology and medicine in general aren't like that anymore. Radiology has become a fast paced job with high volumes and presence of late shifts/busy call. CT and ultrasound are how many acute disease are diagnosed—decisions for OR and ED admission are dependent on radiology. The most legitimate gripes have been that pay has gone down (despite the greater importance of radiology) and speed has become emphasized.

Despite that every radiologist I've ever met would still do radiology if ever allowed to go back. I've met many primary care, IM, psych, and general surgeon docs who felt like there was a better choice out there (radiology being one of the answers). Doom and gloom seems to be prevalent around medicine in general these days.

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly radiology is not the lifestyle I thought it would be. Radiology get bossed around all the time. Wet reads, PAs yelling at you, and radiologists all around as a specialty do not have enough back bone.

I'm not worried about AI. I want AI here faster than ever. Volume is up, reimbursement is down. We are doing more for less. We are undervalued, and the liability is high. The older generation make up for lower reimbursement rates by increasing volume, and the work is no longer enjoyable.

Honestly radiology is not the lifestyle I thought it would be. Radiology get bossed around all the time. Wet reads, PAs yelling at you, and radiologists all around as a specialty do not have enough back bone.

I'm not worried about AI. I want AI here faster than ever. Volume is up, reimbursement is down. We are doing more for less. We are undervalued, and the liability is high. The older generation make up for lower reimbursement rates by increasing volume, and the work is no longer enjoyable.

I agree with the fact that liability being high is the major drawbacks of radiology. I’m not a radiologist, but I can imagine the stress of going through reads knowing that you can be sued for a miss.

As for high volumes, I’m pretty sure that’s the case for all specialties. Even in the specialties which are considered the best among medicine (derm, ophtho, and ortho), they still need to grind through a large volume of patients in clinic.

I think it’s like the poster above me said, radiology was such a high reward for low work job that what is happening now seems like a nightmare in comparison.

Also, the high volume is mostly the case for private practice. I worked with academic and community radiologists and the work pace is very manageable and their work hours are pretty stable.

I agree with the fact that liability being high is the major drawbacks of radiology. I’m not a radiologist, but I can imagine the stress of going through reads knowing that you can be sued for a miss.

As for high volumes, I’m pretty sure that’s the case for all specialties. Even in the specialties which are considered the best among medicine (derm, ophtho, and ortho), they still need to grind through a large volume of patients in clinic.

I think it’s like the poster above me said, radiology was such a high reward for low work job that what is happening now seems like a nightmare in comparison.

Also, the high volume is mostly the case for private practice. I worked with academic and community radiologists and the work pace is very manageable and their work hours are pretty stable.

Why are derm, ophtho and ortho considered the "best"? They are all so different

Liability is real but overstated. All surgical specialties have greater rates of being successfully sued/settling and have a higher insurance cost as a result. Just like how you will inevitably miss something in radiology, you will inevitably have bad outcomes and complications as a surgeon (neurosurg, ortho, OBGYN, cardiothoracic, plastics, ophthalmology, etc.). If your anxiety is that bad then the only real option is doing primary care and referring everything out.

The volumes in radiology are tremendous but manageable by most; a decent residency will prepare you for it. Unfortunately, similar to how in surgery where a few individuals eventually find out in residency they have "bad hands", you will not know if you'll be a slow reader until you enter training. I wouldn't let this deter you since most people come out capable of handling the volumes or end up subspecializing in an area that is generally slower-paced.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply, this has been very educational and for the most part reassuring! I appreciate your insight.

I agree that radiologists generally lack a backbone, and have allowed themselves to get bossed around. I will also state that this depends on where you work. Radiology has a lot of respect at my institution. The vast majority of referrers are respectful and take our suggestions/recommendations seriously. The other day we refused to do an MRI despite pressure from surgery and the ED. I have also declined non-indicated studies as a resident on call. In any case, the culture needs to change as we expect more from referrers and are firm in order to continue to promote high-value patient care.

I agree that radiologists generally lack a backbone, and have allowed themselves to get bossed around. I will also state that this depends on where you work. Radiology has a lot of respect at my institution. The vast majority of referrers are respectful and take our suggestions/recommendations seriously. The other day we refused to do an MRI despite pressure from surgery and the ED. I have also declined non-indicated studies as a resident on call. In any case, the culture needs to change as we expect more from referrers and are firm in order to continue to promote high-value patient care.

This.

In residency, the rads got very little respect. At the time and even more in retrospect, it was stunning how the both administration and other clinical services treated radiology. I'll never forget the time when I was a first year they had a hospital administration come and tell the residents we needed to be as subservient as possible to the clinicians. That under a bundled payment model, we (radiology) were a cost-center to hospital not a profit-driver. Yet they were the ones who nothing to reign in over-utilization and un-indicated exams. Craziest thing I've seen.

In my community practice, the rads are very well respected. In the community, most people don't pontificate over everything or pretend they're a jack of all trades who can do my job better than me. They understand we're valued colleagues who are gonna save their bacon.... a lot.

I think currently the biggest problem with radiology is private equity buying up private practices. This is what Radiology Partners is doing. In this case, senior partners get a bit lump sum payout and the junior associates on partner track get nothing. Then, wages are pushed down to maintain a profit for the Wall Street owners and investors. All while having increased productivity requirements ( think white collar treadmill). Despite what they tell you, you will never be a true "partner." Do your homework/research... Alternatives to this include academics, VA, military, opening your own business, knowing people from residency in a group you trust to join a PP track etc. If you don't want suits skimming your professional fees, avoid corporate outfits.

AI is a big hypothetical at this point and the timeframe is unclear.

Current practice can be very very busy. Hours can be good but shifts mentally taxing and you are physically sedentary. Can be dehumanizing and stressful.

If you love radiology and/or IR and procedures, go for it and don't look back.

Private Equity is everywhere.

Private equity investors are turning their attention to the gastroenterology space. Here is a timeline of PE investments that will be updated as more deals close:

March 2016: Audax Private Equity enters into a deal with Miami-based Gastro Health.
November 2018: Waud Capital Partners and Southlake-based Texas Digestive Disease Consultants close a deal. They establish The GI Alliance, a practice management company based in Dallas.
December 2018: Frazier Healthcare Partners and Atlanta Gastroenterology Associates enter into a deal. They establish United Digestive, a practice management company.
April 2019: Gastro Health makes its first out-of-state acquisition acquiring Birmingham, Ala.-based Southeast Gastro, becoming the first PE-backed GI practice to expand out of its home state.
May 2019: Amulet Capital Partners unites Lancaster, Pa.-based Regional GI, Wyomissing, Pa.-based Digestive Disease Associates and Malvern, Pa.-based Main Line Gastroenterology Associates through a deal. It establishes US Digestive Health, a practice management company.
July 2019: The GI Alliance enters into a deal with Evanston-based Illinois Gastroenterology Group, becoming the first established PE-backed GI platform to expand.
August 2019: Jamison, Pa.-based Physicians Endoscopy and Silver Spring, Md.-based Capital Digestive Care enter into a strategic partnership, forming a management platform.
The GI Alliance invests in five ASCs owned by Texas Digestive Disease Consultants and Illinois Gastroenterology Group.
September 2019: The GI Alliance continues to rapidly grow, partnering with Beaumont-based Southeast Texas Gastroenterology Associates.
Gastro Health expands outside of the southeastern market, acquiring Seattle-based Puget Sound Gastroenterology.
October 2019: GI Alliance entered into a partnership with Phoenix-based Arizona Digestive Health, growing its affiliated network to more than 275 physicians in four states.
GI Alliance acquired San Antonio Gastroenterology Associates and San Antonio Digestive Disease Consultants

Wrong information especially regarding last economic downturn.

During economic downturn the salaries of radiology didn't get hit but it also didn't grow. Very similar to what happened to most other fields.

During economic downturn the job market of radiology got bad but not any different than many other fields. If you don't believe me, you can compare radiology and cardiology job markets (since you talked about IM subspecialties and I am very familiar with cardiology job market) during recession. Both went down.

I have been in practice for 20 years and I regularly read 140-150 studies a day. It is fine. Not really different than seeing X number of patients/day.I feel it has become a cliche to say that radiology practice is a grind. Honestly, it is not that different from any other aspects of medicine in private practice. You mentioned that radiologists get paid by reading x number of studies/day. Could you please tell me how other physicians get paid? Isn't it by seeing x number of patients/day or x number of procedures/day?

Wrong information especially regarding last economic downturn.

During economic downturn the salaries of radiology didn't get hit but it also didn't grow. Very similar to what happened to most other fields.

During economic downturn the job market of radiology got bad but not any different than many other fields. If you don't believe me, you can compare radiology and cardiology job markets (since you talked about IM subspecialties and I am very familiar with cardiology job market) during recession. Both went down.

I have been in practice for 20 years and I regularly read 140-150 studies a day. It is fine. Not really different than seeing X number of patients/day.I feel it has become a cliche to say that radiology practice is a grind. Honestly, it is not that different from any other aspects of medicine in private practice. You mentioned that radiologists get paid by reading x number of studies/day. Could you please tell me how other physicians get paid? Isn't it by seeing x number of patients/day or x number of procedures/day?

Salaries are usually sticky. Your salaries won't go down because of a recession. Your boss isn't going to call you into a meeting and cut your pay. The problem was that new grads were having a hard time find jobs. Dont take my word for it...this was the reason there was a massive decline in residency applications. I think 2015 was the lowest point. There were some high tier programs that had unmatched spots. Now it's bouncing back up. This very fact alone supports my claims.

As for IM a d cardiology, obviously I was talking in relative terms. Cardiology faces a lot of oversaturation and a "glut." There are other economic forces at work besides a downturn in the overall economy. Look at radonc for another example of this.

Last edited:
All three attending radiologists I spoke with told me to avoid radiology, namely DR. This was last year. Current MS4.

All three attending radiologists I spoke with told me to avoid radiology, namely DR. This was last year. Current MS4.

And yet that can be said for any specialty. Each field faces their own set of challenges and uncertainty. At some point you just have to make an informed decision and take a leap of faith.

Reactions: 4 users

Your experience is not typical since probably 80% of radiologists will recommend the specialty to med students. You can take a look at medescape survey that what percentage of rads would do the same specialty again if they had to.

Just my experience: I was also told by a Radiologist to avoid it. I followed my interest and did radiology. Now I am in my midcareer and I am very happy with my decision. My career has been very satisfying, very intellectually stimulating and my life style has been fine. I am now financially independent and if I retire tomorrow I can eaily afford an above the average lifestyle (let's say about 200k/year) for the rest of my life.

Now my story is the experience of one person. Similarly, your story is the experience of 1-3 people. As the poster above mentioned, put all the info together and make an informed decision.

Last edited:
Radiology has one of the highest percentage of physicians who would choose the same specialty again, along with derm, ortho, opthal, plastics, etc. Medscape has some data about it. Medscape: Medscape Access

Capture.PNG

This correlates with my real life experiences. I was very close to applying to a busy competitive surgical subspecialty when I realized that almost every radiologist (10+) I asked told me they'd do it again in a heartbeat, whereas my mentors in surgery (honest mid-career surgeons) would tell me about how radiology or critical care would've been a good fit for them. I never looked back after that.

The only radiologist who didn't give a positive answer was one of the really old 80-something-year-old attendings who already struggled with technology (for a radiologist) and thought AI would take over his job tomorrow. He would often ramble on that topic for a while and demonstrate an emphatic lack of understanding of the current state of AI. It reminded me of the online commenters who thought AI was supposed to wipe out trucker jobs by 2020, or how we'll be living in some sort of post-scarcity utopia/dystopia in a a decade or two.

The unknown breeds fear. Radiology being at the forefront of technological advances in medicine has many more 'unknowns' and advances on the horizon than other specialties. Although we've seen time and time again how radiologists as a whole have figured out ways to adapt new situations to their advantage (CT, MRI, PACS, etc.), there will always be those who are insecure about their own abilities or excessively afraid of the future who will spout doom and gloom.

Of course, there are real threats to the field (private equity, corportization, mega-academic consolidation, declining reimbursements, etc.) but they are not unique to radiology and are a challenge that all physicians across many specialties are experiencing. To me it is still one of the safer fields given it has thus far successfully defended itself against significant midlevel penetration that worryingly continues to increase and boon across most medical specialties and subspecialties.

Last edited:
Not a radiology resident but radiologists are well respected where I am doing residency...

sorry buddy i didn't mean to drag this hoorah of a thread down. the three attendings i spoke with talked about different things. all of them mentioned increased workload needed to maintain salary. one said he would have went into ortho. more power and autonomy he said. another said that the field is trending towards automation and that it would benefit him but not med students like me. the third, to be honest, was a negative person. it sounded like he shouldnt have went to med school. he said he didnt like clinic and was between rads and pathology. he was glad he picked rads but thought it was an isolating career. i mean, man, you gotta pick what you want to do. there are going to be negatives with all of these careers. i did meet an IR guy who loved what he did. theres a msk guy at my school who likes to get med students involved and appears to love his job. i dont want to tell you not to go into the field. but i did want to mention these guys who clearly made the wrong decision and regretted it. if you know the negatives and choose the field, you will be fine. good luck buddy.

Point one: we need to do more work to make money
Point two: we will have machines to do more work for us

Conclusion: we will have machines making money for us.
More specifically, those who use machines to make money will make more money than those who do not use machines to make money.

Negative people will focus on one thing or another but the overall picture is not so bleak.

Last edited:
Radiology ie the best. Full body imaging and knowledge of full body pathology.