What's with everyone saying "kiddos" now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldschooliscool

Reaction score
At some point during my graduate school training (nearly finished with internship now), I started hearing the pediatric-focused students start saying "kiddos" instead of "child/children," "kids," "adolescents," etc. I don't know how, but it was like a switch was flipped and EVERYONE started doing it. I assumed it was maybe just my program, until I started hearing people at other schools, people at conferences, etc. doing this as well.

There's nothing wrong with this, but I'm so curious why this switch was made. What's up with everyone saying "kiddo" now when referring to children? Has anyone else noticed it? I even see people doing it on this forum!

I feel like that was something that happened in sitcoms when I was younger, not in academic/clinical environments.

Members don't see this ad.

YES! I have also wondered the same thing and also thought it was only my grad program at the time, but I have realized that it is much more pervasive.

A lot of the local children's hospitals used it, so their externs would come back using it. I'm not sure how the providers started using it in the first place though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've said "kiddos" for probably a decade or so now, usually in the context of, "I don't evaluate kiddos." Probably just something that's caught on colloquially over time; seems maybe less stuffy than "children" but not as informal as "kids." I suspect it'll phase out now that so many people are using it.

Anecdotally, and not in a professional context, but I've also seen this happening over the past ~3-5 years with, "100 percent." Which now seems like it's everywhere.

I don't know why, but I dislike the term "kiddos" on a visceral level.

Reactions: 5 users
family guy kid GIF

At some point during my graduate school training (nearly finished with internship now), I started hearing the pediatric-focused students start saying "kiddos" instead of "child/children," "kids," "adolescents," etc. I don't know how, but it was like a switch was flipped and EVERYONE started doing it. I assumed it was maybe just my program, until I started hearing people at other schools, people at conferences, etc. doing this as well.

There's nothing wrong with this, but I'm so curious why this switch was made. What's up with everyone saying "kiddo" now when referring to children? Has anyone else noticed it? I even see people doing it on this forum!

I feel like that was something that happened in sitcoms when I was younger, not in academic/clinical environments.
I and my colleagues call them "kiddos", and I don't remember a time when we didn't. Seems odd to call the often unwilling child who had no say in anything a "client." "Patient" is even more inappropriate, as they typically aren't. "Child" seems too generic, and "child I work with/assessed/etc. is too cumbersome.

Reactions: 2 users
Being around here has definitely caused me to pick it up because I did not use it until fairly recently.

Funny, I've started using it recently. Don't think it has anything to do with my professional life and more to do with having a toddler. Maybe it does though?

I strongly dislike the term. I've noticed its use being pretty common for at least a decade. Agree with whomever said that its use seems to stem from pediatrics / pediatric psychology (versus child psychology / psychiatry). Not sure why. Maybe I'll start referring to my clinical population as "oldies."

Hey simmer down over there! I just started doing research with kids... I've been waiting to say this for 15 years. Don't take this from me!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I work exclusively with kiddos. I even used the term 3x times in a recent post. :/

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
google ngram shows a spike in usage circa 1999. Perhaps look at the media at that time.

Reactions: 1 user
Kiddo is the last name of Uma Thurman's character in Kill Bill.

I don't know--"kiddo" just sounds so infantile to me. I understand and respect that others feel differently, but it just icks me for some reason. "Kid" seems sufficient. Maybe (read: probably) I just have weird hangups lol

I don't know--"kiddo" just sounds so infantile to me. I understand and respect that others feel differently, but it just icks me for some reason. "Kid" seems sufficient. Maybe I just have weird hangups lol

“Ick” gives me the ick. It’s an appeal to agree, without any ability to go into detail.

“Ick” gives me the ick. It’s an appeal to agree, without any ability to go into detail.
That's fair. I can't go into more detail because I don't know why the word clashes with my sensibilities. It's just an automatic reaction, like cringing at bad milk. I wish I could explain it, and definitely do not have hard feelings for folks who use it--it's just a thing for me lol

Old man yells at cloud vibes

Reactions: 2 users
I don’t like kiddos and have used kids ever since I started. When a teenager complained about it once, I pointed out that for old people like me even 30 year olds are kids. They always seem to like that explanation. Kiddo sounds too cutesy which is another term I don’t like. Love this thread though. My favorite thing to do is think about human stuff like this. Maybe I should become a psychologist. 😁

Mandy Patinkin is a national treasure.

I like to ruin Mandy Patinkin for people by talking about how he singlehandedly drove Toni Collette away from working on Broadway for over a decade due to his abusive behavior towards her backstage during The Wild Party (he played her abusive husband and let's just say rumor has it he went VERY method)

I don't know--"kiddo" just sounds so infantile to me. I understand and respect that others feel differently, but it just icks me for some reason. "Kid" seems sufficient. Maybe (read: probably) I just have weird hangups lol
Same. I don't fault anyone for using the term because it's clearly a me thing not a them thing, but I have a similar visceral reaction to it that I can't explain. I first started hearing the term when my extended family began addressing my niece and nephew as "kiddos" or singular (which gets me even more) "kiddo." Not in a "hey kiddo!" way but as a factual everyday reporting about this kiddo or that kiddo. "Her kiddo plays the violin." "What are their kiddos doing for the summer?" It's not the word that gets me me, it's this very specific usage. Totally a me thing though. I can tolerate my distress.

• Haha
Same. I don't fault anyone for using the term because it's clearly a me thing not a them thing, but I have a similar visceral reaction to it that I can't explain. I first started hearing the term when my extended family began addressing my niece and nephew as "kiddos" or singular (which gets me even more) "kiddo." Not in a "hey kiddo!" way but as a factual everyday reporting about this kiddo or that kiddo. "Her kiddo plays the violin." "What are their kiddos doing for the summer?" It's not the word that gets me me, it's this very specific usage. Totally a me thing though. I can tolerate my distress.
Ah, that changes things a bit. I use it almost exclusively in professional settings when talking to other providers/staff (usually ones I know pretty well). Again, as in, "yeah, I don't work with kiddos." In thinking about it, I don't often (or ever) say it with patients, or with friends/family. And I can imagine if it were used constantly in the ways you describe, maybe it'd be irritating. In those situations, I almost always use "kids" or "children."

I like to ruin Mandy Patinkin for people by talking about how he singlehandedly drove Toni Collette away from working on Broadway for over a decade due to his abusive behavior towards her backstage during The Wild Party (he played her abusive husband and let's just say rumor has it he went VERY method)
I love how unhinged method actors get sometimes.

Because it's Friday: if we want to branch out to words that mildly irk us for no particularly justifiable reason, I'll throw "conversate" and "empathetic" into the mix.

I'm totally empathetic to the fact that words like "kiddos" tend to irk certain people. It's important that we continue to conversate around the issue. It is deep dives like these that help me to level set so that we can come to a synergistic understanding in this online community.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users
I'm all for stirring the pot...but let's find something more controversial to pick on....mmkay?
I've got something:

1) Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder probably (a) doesn't exist, (b) is a cop out diagnosis from providers who are afraid of difficult conversations, (c) is usually diagnosed by providers who are too afraid to call oppositional defiant disorder oppositional defiant disorder, (d) if a kiddo throws a tantrum whenever a demand is placed on them it's not DMDD (because it shows negative reinforcement), (e) even the mood part is dumb: ODD kids are grumpy/miserable because the coercive/negative reinforcement parent child interaction pattern means they only get into negative interactions with their parents and are constantly racing to see who can throw the biggest stink or be a bigger pain in the @$$ for negative reinforcement, and (f) leads to inappropriate/ineffective/inefficient medication strategies (antipsychotics when a lil ritalin would help) and parenting interventions which allows ego protection (e.g., coddling interventions when a lil time out and token economy would help the kid have more behavioral success/positive parent interactions). /end rant

2) Pediatric bipolar is dumb.

Agreed - my wife once put cinnamon in a chilli I made from left over smoked brisket. I almost divorced her over it.

Corn or flower (not Mission) tortillas?

Actually, a light dusting of cinnamon works well in most chilis. Just have to be careful, as too much can overpower other stuff.

Actually, a light dusting of cinnamon works well in most chilis. Just have to be careful, as too much can overpower other stuff.

A little bit of cinnamon can work. The more important ingredient for me is cumin level.

Last edited:
I've got something:

1) Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder probably (a) doesn't exist, (b) is a cop out diagnosis from providers who are afraid of difficult conversations, (c) is usually diagnosed by providers who are too afraid to call oppositional defiant disorder oppositional defiant disorder, (d) if a kiddo throws a tantrum whenever a demand is placed on them it's not DMDD (because it shows negative reinforcement), (e) even the mood part is dumb: ODD kids are grumpy/miserable because the coercive/negative reinforcement parent child interaction pattern means they only get into negative interactions with their parents and are constantly racing to see who can throw the biggest stink or be a bigger pain in the @$$ for negative reinforcement, and (f) leads to inappropriate/ineffective/inefficient medication strategies (antipsychotics when a lil ritalin would help) and parenting interventions which allows ego protection (e.g., coddling interventions when a lil time out and token economy would help the kid have more behavioral success/positive parent interactions). /end rant

Isn‘t DMDD a smart diagnosis to give instead of a dumb one like pediatric Bipolar? Seriously though, my population of young adults who have had a long history of mental health complaints and Bipolar or even a psychotic disorder is what later came out and most of the “treatment“ they received made things worse by assuming it was behavioral or parental. Also, medication was usually not very helpful with these kids because it usually was stimulants and then add in an ssri and then only go with something else when the kid is a psychological mess and nothing will help. Usually it only takes me five minutes of parental/child observation to rule out the parenting factor.
I don’t care to argue about chili other than to say spaghetti in chili sounds a little ridiculous.

I've got something:

I'll see your comment and raise you C-PTSD.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Guys, you can't bash C-PTSD's diagnostic validity without inviting me to the party!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I'll see your comment and raise you C-PTSD.

Yeah..I had a patient I was working with recently tell me he wanted to discontinue our treatment so he could go do EMDR with his previous therapist. Mind you, I did not diagnose him with PTSD as he did not meet any of the criteria and our treatment focus was on depression, assertiveness and some neurodivergence stuff. When he told me his plan to ditch me for some EMDR I had a come to Jesus moment with him and told him it was trash. We could achieve much better results with CPT without all the bells and whistles (and strobe lights). I even brought to his attention some of the literature on the topic that compared CPT with EMDR, PE, etc.....needless to say, he wanted bells and whistles....and I just won't indulge in that kind of crap. I told him my door was always open if he changed his mind.

I even asked him if anybody ever diagnosed him with PTSD and he said no, but he was reading a lot on Google about complex PTSD and he thought he had it, therefore he thought EMDR would be his best bet.

Yeah..I had a patient I was working with recently tell me he wanted to discontinue our treatment so he could go do EMDR with his previous therapist. Mind you, I did not diagnose him with PTSD as he did not meet any of the criteria and our treatment focus was on depression, assertiveness and some neurodivergence stuff. When he told me his plan to ditch me for some EMDR I had a come to Jesus moment with him and told him it was trash. We could achieve much better results with CPT without all the bells and whistles (and strobe lights). I even brought to his attention some of the literature on the topic that compared CPT with EMDR, PE, etc.....needless to say, he wanted bells and whistles....and I just won't indulge in that kind of crap. I told him my door was always open if he changed his mind.

I even asked him if anybody ever diagnosed him with PTSD and he said no, but he was reading a lot on Google about complex PTSD and he thought he had it, therefore he thought EMDR would be his best bet.

You are just 30-40 similar cases away from opening your own EMDR practice for C-PTSD :rofl:

I mean, if you can't beat 'em...EMDR 'em.

• Haha