What's with everyone saying "kiddos" now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Scheeringa has some weird stuff going on with his interactions with politics--I think he made some kind of "I agree with you, Tucker Carlson" video for his YouTube channel--I only know who he is because I'd heard of his book debunking The Body Keeps the Score...but he's got a good(ish), accessibly written response to the C-PTSD trend:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I don't agree with Michael Scheeringa on many things but he does some good debunking of popular trauma myths, especially The Body Keeps the Score.

We absolutely need more TikTok presence on EMDR, complex PTSD, and especially pro-CBT approaches (PE and CPT) for PTSD.

Edit: oh good, he's calling out Cloitre - I read a lot of the research she based STAIR on and did not think the literature she cited really supported the arguments she was making.

Yeah, I don't agree with Michael Scheeringa on many things but he does some good debunking of popular trauma myths, especially The Body Keeps the Score.
I know very little about him, but the titles of a couple of his YouTube videos did raise my eyebrows a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user

People should check out the one study he references to support his viewpoint here. Make sure you check out the appendix and the participant inclusion section. I'm skeptical on how representative that sample is. Also, in reading the actual survey item choices, the results are not all that surprising, but the results are almost definitely magnified due to sampling methods. The reality is likely much less stark.

I have nothing to add except my view on usage of “kiddos” is the same as the use of “hubby” 🤢🤮

Reactions: 2 users
People should check out the one study he references to support his viewpoint here. Make sure you check out the appendix and the participant inclusion section. I'm skeptical on how representative that sample is. Also, in reading the actual survey item choices, the results are not all that surprising, but the results are almost definitely magnified due to sampling methods. The reality is likely much less stark.

Pop Corn GIF by Kamie Crawford

I was walking my patient back to the office Thursday and said, “so how’s it going kiddo?” 😳
I blame this thread. I actually told her about it and how us psychology geeks get into all kinds of silly discussions. She enjoys mocking me so it’s always good to give her more material. Speaking of the mocking, I have found that it seems to be a healthy thing for some of my patients who are especially vulnerable and/or desperate for help to be able to humanize me and the relationship. Don’t know if I’ve ever really heard about that dynamic before. Obviously, I’ve heard about the power differential and awareness of risks of that, but not too much about how to mitigate that or what that looks like.

Reactions: 1 user
I was walking my patient back to the office Thursday and said, “so how’s it going kiddo?” 😳
I blame this thread. I actually told her about it and how us psychology geeks get into all kinds of silly discussions. She enjoys mocking me so it’s always good to give her more material. Speaking of the mocking, I have found that it seems to be a healthy thing for some of my patients who are especially vulnerable and/or desperate for help to be able to humanize me and the relationship. Don’t know if I’ve ever really heard about that dynamic before. Obviously, I’ve heard about the power differential and awareness of risks of that, but not too much about how to mitigate that or what that looks like.
There is no bigger compliment than a therapist being mocked by a teenager patient to their face. Prosocial teasing is a sign of a bond, trust (insofar that you’re “cool” enough to not freak or over react), and psychological flexibility! They’re using humor, playfulness, etc to examine some things and you’re creating a space where they can do that to your face. I too often break the 4th wall at times when I say something and let the client into professional discussions. People take therapy too seriously and teens, especially this generation, are masters of irony.

I’ve had a few female teens like that. It’s always such a treat. Btw - they can tell you like that dynamic too. Ive got no problem with it. It’s implied that they’re able to give you feedback and that mitigates power dynamic too.

Reactions: 1 users