What's with the post-secondary rejections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

proofofconcept

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just checking out mdapplicants.com and it appears to me that some top programs seems to reject a lot of people with very, very good numbers (MCAT > 40, GPA > 3.7) post-secondary. What's going on? 😕 Did these people just write something ridiculous somewhere in their essays or fail to meet some requirements? Is there a bias against these people for some reason? Are MSTPs this much of a crapshoot as well?

PS -- If anyone is willing to read my mudphud essay, PM me. Thanks! 🙂
 
proofofconcept said:
I was just checking out mdapplicants.com and it appears to me that some top programs seems to reject a lot of people with very, very good numbers (MCAT > 40, GPA > 3.7) post-secondary. What's going on? 😕 Did these people just write something ridiculous somewhere in their essays or fail to meet some requirements? Is there a bias against these people for some reason? Are MSTPs this much of a crapshoot as well?

PS -- If anyone is willing to read my mudphud essay, PM me. Thanks! 🙂

hi there,

just my 2 cents:

1) mdapplicants.com is often not accurate. i would bet the % of real entries is low.

2) numbers/scores aren't everything. experiences, character, etc matter a lot too.

3) as with all things in life, sometimes it's just bad luck.
 
at our school, the essay is most important, followed by recs, then numbers - so it is quite possible for the above scenario to happen, as it does quite often.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pureofheart said:
hi there,

just my 2 cents:

1) mdapplicants.com is often not accurate. i would bet the % of real entries is low.

2) numbers/scores aren't everything. experiences, character, etc matter a lot too.

3) as with all things in life, sometimes it's just bad luck.

1) that's what I suspected, but it's good to hear someone else confirm it. (Although I guess there wasn't much doubt after I saw someone from wallawallaUniversity get into Hopkins)

2) oh no doubt, I was just thinking a lot of the character things would become evident in the interview, and these (fake) people are getting rejected before then.
 
Habari said:
at our school, the essay is most important, followed by recs, then numbers - so it is quite possible for the above scenario to happen, as it does quite often.

Wow, this comes as a pretty big surprise -- I thought numbers (and research) were most important of all, at least for securing an interview.
 
that's what I suspected, but it's good to hear someone else confirm it. (Although I guess there wasn't much doubt after I saw someone from wallawallaUniversity get into Hopkins)

it's not out of the question for someone from a generally unrecognized college/university to gain admissions to a school like hopkins. it may require the student to demonstrate their ability to a greater degree, and while not extremely common, it certainly does happen.
 
Habari said:
it's not out of the question for someone from a generally unrecognized college/university to gain admissions to a school like hopkins. it may require the student to demonstrate their ability to a greater degree, and while not extremely common, it certainly does happen.

Oh I know, I think one person actually wrote "wallawallaUniversity" though. I don't think that's a real place, and my apologies if it is.