Whats wrong with Kaplan Chemistry section

Started by npharm21
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

npharm21

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

As far as difficulty level of the kaplan chemistry section and the problems on there (that do take a bit of calculation), did you all july pcat test takers feel that the actual PCAT had this much of calculations needed?...Because the collins is waaay simpler in that it doesn't require too much calculation but the kaplan problems did a bit more. I was just wondering as to how realistic is the kaplan chemistry section compared to the actual pcat.
 
You need to use a little common sense when doing some of these questions... You only have about a minute a question. There's no way you're gonna construct an ICE table or something like that... Or if you have to there's always a "cheating" way around it. The kaplan is very realistic.. but if you do the practice exams you notice that you don't even have to "solve" them.. some of them just involve equation rearranging but no final number.
 
At chemguy...Yeah I understand but I have also read some people saying that the collins questions are a bit too easy and the actual PCAT has a more intensive calculation, but I don't know if to the extent of Kaplan. I found Kaplan to be okay on the chemistry, although it's too much information and I don't know how much of that you need to know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At chemguy...Yeah I understand but I have also read some people saying that the collins questions are a bit too easy and the actual PCAT has a more intensive calculation, but I don't know if to the extent of Kaplan. I found Kaplan to be okay on the chemistry, although it's too much information and I don't know how much of that you need to know.

Out of curiosity, have you taken the PCAT previously or looked at Pearson's Practice Exams? Pearson's Practice Exams are made by the people who wrote the exam, so they are quite accurate. Having taken the PCAT previously, I thought that the calculations were rather simple and Kaplan was entirely overkill. Where did you find someone saying that there were intensive calculations on the PCAT? I haven't noticed that on the board at all.

Good luck with your studying.