What's wrong with MCV Neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work with MCV residents from all departments, and this program seems to be in trouble. Anyone have any thoughts? There's a revolving door of residents (mostly FMG's who are constantly abused) and the faculty seem really aloof or malignant. I've talked with some med students there, and no one has anything good to say about it. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

(MCV = Medical College of Virginia, aka VCU SOM)

The MCV neurology interest group had several neurological residents (adult and peds) and the head of pediatric neurology come and speak with us.... they seemed very satisfied with their field, very open and willing to discuss things with us lowly med students, and I feel like wouldn't have chosen to come to our gathering if they found the MCV experience to be very negative. The MD/PhD who ran the neuro lab I worked for at a different university did his neuro residency at MCV (granted probably a decade or so ago), but his raves about what an amazing experience it was.

Members don't see this ad :)
Attending at my school in Illinois who is purely clinical says they have "a strong program historically, esp in epilepsy".

I'll visit there in January.

Well i learned the truth. no revolving door. 2 residents came in having completed residency overseas. thought they were above everyone, bad with other residents and bad with faculty. They were bounced.

Residents seem pretty satisfied. Each year more US only students less IMG etc... Faculty is very friendly Hospital is very nice and Richmond is a terrific city for those who dont demand a megopolis

I enjoyed the visit quite a bit