What's wrong with UCSD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As an undergrad, I can say that the problem with UCSD is that it is simply a school you attend, and not a school that you belong to. There are few reasons to be proud to be at UCSD, and most of them lie along academic lines (top research school, plenty of Nobel laureates). A lack of sense of community is the oft cited problem, something that every yahoo running for student office promises to address and create "school spirit". But I don't think that any of that matters as a medical student. San Diego has one of the best night lifes in the nation, incredible weather, and a plethura of opportunities for the properly motivated; believe me, I would not mind spending another 4-5 years here as a medical student.

Members don't see this ad.

SanDiegoSOD said:
As an undergrad, I can say that the problem with UCSD is that it is simply a school you attend, and not a school that you belong to. There are few reasons to be proud to be at UCSD, and most of them lie along academic lines (top research school, plenty of Nobel laureates). A lack of sense of community is the oft cited problem, something that every yahoo running for student office promises to address and create "school spirit". But I don't think that any of that matters as a medical student. San Diego has one of the best night lifes in the nation, incredible weather, and a plethura of opportunities for the properly motivated; believe me, I would not mind spending another 4-5 years here as a medical student.

amen. :thumbup: but only to the first part. you have to be VERY motivated to seek your social opportunities out here. i'm not sure about the camaraderie that may or may not exist for the med student body, but i can speak for the undergraduates.

passthesashimi said:
amen. :thumbup: but only to the first part. you have to be VERY motivated to seek your social opportunities out here. i'm not sure about the camaraderie that may or may not exist for the med student body, but i can speak for the undergraduates.

i can speak for the undergraduates too. not from personal experience, but from seeing them. the first weekend of ugrad classes, the library was packed with people actually studying. (or so i hear, i wasn't actually there...)

if you want to believe everything you hear about every med school out there, then you probably won't end up going to one.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's aight, I'll be outta here soon enough. not a day too soon

OzDDS said:
It's aight, I'll be outta here soon enough. not a day too soon

srsPreachIt.gif

BananaSplit said:
Mongo said:
not a single black female student in four-five years running.

[\QUOTE]

FYI, there are 2 African-American women in our class this year and one that I know of in the class before us. Still pretty dismal, but not as bleak as you paint it.
My bad. The information I had must have been wrong.

PeruvianDoctor said:
You are a tool dong

Don't be hatin on the socal AZN. Long Dong has 36 friends, which is approximately 35 more than I have.

Long Dong, nice abs. You could totally pour waffle batter on those things and grill some waffles.

damn i sure hope not every med school students are soooo focused on the looks of their other classmates....

note - please no mean comments. i apologize if its offensive though

what do you mean "hearing how some of the male med students soon to be are...im a bit worried"? we're males, and hence we act like any other male. what's so wrong about that? it's natural for us to be attracted to beautiful members of the opposite sex and to pursue them. your fiance's situation is a whole different problem of your own and has nothing to do with whether or not it's okay for a school to have lots of good-looking girls.