What's your 401k asset allocation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
About 25% of my portfolio is VGTSX ( Vanguard Total International Stock Index ) right now considering that it's a huge component of the retirement target date funds. Over the last few years, American growth stocks have become ridiculous. Don McDonald made a really good argument for large cap international funds on his podcast the other day and after really examining the numbers and considering the growth opportunity, I'm actually considering buying into some with my taxable account.

Here's my question, though...does anybody know a good international large cap growth index fund that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? And I mean not-in-America fund. The Vanguard international growth fund (and even that fund costs 0.43%) still has a ton of Telsa and Amazon. I own enough of that with my VTSAX holdings. I just want to diversify with large cap, true international funds. If not, I guess I could just buy more VGTSX.

What specially are you looking for?
Vanguard has a bunch of other international options.

20 international funds
12 international ETFs

Their growth fund does have 7% in Tesla and Amazon but that is pretty small to me.

The FTSE all world minus US might be what you are looking for. It's down this year

Members don't see this ad.

What specially are you looking for?
Vanguard has a bunch of other international options.

20 international funds
12 international ETFs

Their growth fund does have 7% in Tesla and Amazon but that is pretty small to me.

Like a weighted S&P 500 but with international large cap stocks instead of American stocks. But not 500 companies, maybe 100. And not expensive.

I'm aware that this might not exist. If not I'll probably just buy good old cheap vanguard total international.

Like a weighted S&P 500 but with international large cap stocks instead of American stocks. But not 500 companies, maybe 100. And not expensive.

I'm aware that this might not exist. If not I'll probably just buy good old cheap vanguard total international.

VTIAX, VEA VPL VGK VFWAX

VXUS is probably your best bet.

Most international are negative on the year it looks like

A lot of international have not been performing well so you're looking to bet against the trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of international have not been performing well so you're looking to bet against the trend.

Yup. It would be a buy and hold play. Looking for long term value. VXUS is probably the best bet on Vanguard. But it's still like 5000+ companies. I was hoping to find something that focused on very large caps. But then again, it's all weighted, so it probably doesn't matter that much in the end.

Last edited:
My 401K allocation is about 30% bond and 70% stock (mostly large cap, SP500 and some large cap growth index). I am curious to those of you who have 100% stocks, what's your YTD %? Mine is like 10% ... Now I looked up Fidelity SP500 Index is about 7.5% as of 8/31/20, give or take a little bit. For those of you who have 100% stocks, what are you YTD % if you dont mind to share? Not that I want to change my own allocation, but just want to get a perspective about the difference in performance. Thanks.

Toyota is in a decline. No EV, so many of their SUV ride on 10 year old platforms. Stale designs. Terrible infotainment.

But agree holding international is good.

Hybrids are Toyota's bread and butter right now. Next year's Sienna minivan will be hybrid from now on, no more full ICE. Check out the RAV4 Prime plug in. It drives like an EV without the range anxiety. It has 42+ miles range on battery before using gas, gets 600 miles per tank, is nearly as fast as a Supra, qualifies for the $7500 tax credit, and of course it's a reliable Toyota. There is already high demand for this and it hasn't been released yet. It's expected to sell higher than MSRP just like the RAV4 hybrids did last year. At around $34k after tax credit, this is a much better value compared to a model Y.

Teslas are poorly made, their model Ys were rushed with poor QA. Many complaints about misaligned fenders, off center seat belts, mirrors etc. Plus Teslas break down after the warranty is up and cost a fortune to fix. It's like $1000 to replace a door handle and $1500 for a headlight, wtf? I would hate to deal with that after paying $50k+ to own one.

My 401K allocation is about 30% bond and 70% stock (mostly large cap, SP500 and some large cap growth index). I am curious to those of you who have 100% stocks, what's your YTD %? Mine is like 10% ... Now I looked up Fidelity SP500 Index is about 7.5% as of 8/31/20, give or take a little bit. For those of you who have 100% stocks, what are you YTD % if you dont mind to share? Not that I want to change my own allocation, but just want to get a perspective about the difference in performance. Thanks.
13.9%. The custom large cap growth fund CVS has is over 20% YTD. That's really boosted my YTD overall.

Forgot to mention my brother had a civic hybrid, battery went out in it. Was 7k to replace.... at least if Tesla battery goes out during your 9th year of ownership you get a brand new car because it is a new battery. Not a new battery and an old engine paired to it.

Full EV is the future. Hybrids will die out just like ICE cars.

Also look at total cost of ownership for a model 3 vs a Honda accord. Model 3 may cost more upfront but are cheaper in the long run.

8 year warranty on drive unit and battery is more than any ICE maker gives besides KIA/Hyundai.
I checked model 3 and gas car. Bought a new gas car for $17.5k + tax. 33mpg avg, 45 mpg in highway if I drive slow.

Model 3 is still an overpriced garbage. Bring it down to 20k and they can have my money. The difference between what I save now buying ICE and break even point years later by buying EV is massive. I'm just talking about the lowest priced Model 3. If you go all out on performance mode, you'll never break even. It takes roughly 10-13 yrs if you drive 15k miles/yr to get your money worth buying EV. If you count the % investment return on dollar on top of it, it's bigger that buying EV is a money losing proposition that I'll never make my money back. I still save tons of money using gas. I might be an idiot but I know math.

Are people who are looking at buying a model 3 also looking at $17.5k ICE alternatives?

Reactions: 1 user
Are people who are looking at buying a model 3 also looking at $17.5k ICE alternatives?

Thank you. I was just about to post something equivalent.

Please tell us what 17.5k ICE car is equivalent to a model 3. *eye roll*

Thank you. I was just about to post something equivalent.

Please tell us what 17.5k ICE car is equivalent to a model 3. *eye roll*
Any fuel efficient gas powered compact sedan with less gimmicks you can buy for cheap. If you want gimmicks, get a model 3. You can brag on your 0-60 start while I count my money.

I'll have an extra $40k in 10 yrs when your Tesla junk goes to scrap. I still get from point A to point B with my Elantra limited I don't need to buy garbage overpriced "luxury" sedan. You can brag all you want on 0-60 seconds and a 15 inch screen. Hope it's worth $40k less in the bank.

I'll have an extra $40k in 10 yrs when your Tesla junk goes to scrap. I still get from point A to point B with my Elantra limited I don't need to buy garbage overpriced "luxury" sedan. You can brag all you want on 0-60 seconds and a 15 inch screen. Hope it's worth $40k less in the bank.

You should compare a model 3 to other $40k to $50k cars not $17.5k cars.

That's all we're saying.

Not that people should be buying Teslas to show off

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interested in a Hyundai ELANTRA it starts at $19,300 and that includes a rearview mirror:

B4859B32-BED7-4F51-8004-DB1A01FD42CB.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
You should compare a model 3 to other $40k to $50k cars not $17.5k cars.

That's all we're saying.

Not that people should be buying Teslas to show off
I'd bash your head to the wall if you buy a $40-50k sedan to commute with. With Tesla, you get a **** built quality Maybe, you'll make out some back on gas savings if you only buy the basic option. If that's what you want, you can piss your money away by buying subpar built a model 3 or any other overpriced gasoline car. What do I get buying a tesla? torque and a big screen? LMAO

I'll brag for the extra $40k I have.

If anyone is interested in a Hyundai ELANTRA it starts at $19,300 and that includes a rearview mirror:
Got my Elantra limited with rebates for $17.5k. I'd buy this to brag anyday vs. 50k car. Great ass commuter car for the money.

Forgot to mention my brother had a civic hybrid, battery went out in it. Was 7k to replace.... at least if Tesla battery goes out during your 9th year of ownership you get a brand new car because it is a new battery. Not a new battery and an old engine paired to it.

Full EV is the future. Hybrids will die out just like ICE cars.

Also look at total cost of ownership for a model 3 vs a Honda accord. Model 3 may cost more upfront but are cheaper in the long run.

8 year warranty on drive unit and battery is more than any ICE maker gives besides KIA/Hyundai.

A 9 year old Tesla is a brand new car? This guy's model S broke down after 5 years.

Cost of ownership comparison is true for new cars. I don't buy new though. My 5 old Accord was under $10k, it's 11 years old now and still going strong. A used Tesla is still like 40k with no tax credit.

I would hope your 2 year old car would have no issues. No 2 year old car should have any.

He is. He cant even pay for his own internet

That's why he's rich.

View attachment 317813

Sold!

Got my Elantra limited with rebates for $17.5k. I'd buy this to brag anyday vs. 50k car. Great ass commuter car for the money.

How about a Chevy Bolt? People have gotten them new for 25k before tax credits. The ICE dealers don't care about selling them so there's always an oversupply.

I don't understand the hate on buying vehicles that you enjoy.

Should new grads buy new cars? No but what the heck am I suppose to spend my money on if I can't buy a car I will enjoy?

I don't understand the hate on buying vehicles that you enjoy.

Should new grads buy new cars? No but what the heck am I suppose to spend my money on if I can't buy a car I will enjoy?

We're a bunch of tightwads here. Don't like to pay for depreciation.

I'd rather have balance.

On a PharmD salary, one can easily live below their means, max retirement accounts, and still enjoy life while you're young and capable.

Find what you enjoy and spend money on it.... cars, eating out, sports, travel, etc. No reason to be a tightwad 100% of the time if the majority of your behavioral spending is in check. That's my mindset at least. You may save 5m and die right before you retire... nothing is guaranteed.

Well the obvious solution to that is buy used.

Yep that's what I do. Used Tesla's cost nearly as much as new ones. I've considered a used Leaf and Bolt but they're small and don't have good range especially in winter. I heard the model 3 only has 150 miles of range in winter too.

Wasn't the model 3 supposed to be around 30k? It's still too expensive for the average person. I'd buy a new Tesla if it were 30k.

Yep that's what I do. Used Tesla's cost nearly as much as new ones. I've considered a used Leaf and Bolt but they're small and don't have good range especially in winter. I heard the model 3 only has 150 miles of range in winter too.

Wasn't the model 3 supposed to be around 30k? It's still too expensive for the average person. I'd buy a new Tesla if it were 30k.

If they are still expensive that means that do not depreciate as quickly, right?

The base model 3 was announced to be 35k. They didn’t offer that trim for very long. I do wish they offered something cheaper too.

I bought a used 2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium for $16k 3 years ago (original MSRP $40k). I was cross shopping with Model 3. Went with the Ford. 20 miles EV range is good enough for 90% of my trips around town. Then it's 35-55MPG depending on how I patient I feel like driving on the gas-hybrid. No range anxiety. No car payment. Fill the gas up like once every 2 months. I'm pretty happy with it.

If you REALLY want to save money, buy a third generation Prius with a dead battery. You can buy remanufactured Prius batteries with installation and a lifetime warranty for $1700 now. It would run forever.

Last edited:
I bought a used 2015 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium for $16k 3 years ago (original MSRP $40k). I was cross shopping with Model 3. Went with the Ford. 20 miles EV range is good enough for 90% of my trips around town. Then it's 35-55MPG depending on how I patient I feel like driving on the gas-hybrid. No range anxiety. No car payment. Fill the gas up like once every 2 months. I'm pretty happy with it.

If you REALLY want to save money, buy a third generation Prius with a dead battery. You can buy remanufactured Prius batteries with installation and a lifetime warranty for $1700 now. It would run forever.
I'd not be caught dead in the old prius though. It's a suppository with wheels on the road.

I'd rather have balance.

On a PharmD salary, one can easily live below their means, max retirement accounts, and still enjoy life while you're young and capable.

Find what you enjoy and spend money on it.... cars, eating out, sports, travel, etc. No reason to be a tightwad 100% of the time if the majority of your behavioral spending is in check. That's my mindset at least. You may save 5m and die right before you retire... nothing is guaranteed.
I agree. Being old with tons of money is pointless. You worked hard to make $$$. You deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labor. When I am old, I will stay in-doors playing PC games until I die. I dont need anything excess of property tax/utility/food/some extra hundreds to spend on games.

I'd not be caught dead in the old prius though. It's a suppository with wheels on the road.

Who cares what kind of car you drive? Who even sees you in your car? Idk what people think of me.

Who cares what kind of car you drive? Who even sees you in your car? Idk what people think of me.
True but I want it to to be a normal looking car, not a suppository on the road.

The new gen prius looks good.

I am in materialistic SoFlo and I'm rocking a Camry that Fred Flintstone's great granduncle drove. I guess it doesn't matter if you are a run-of-the-mill pharmacist like me. If you are in a more business or sale-oriented environment then your ride probably matters not only to yourself.

VTIAX, VEA VPL VGK VFWAX

VXUS is probably your best bet.

Most international are negative on the year it looks like

Isn't VXUS just the ETF version of VTIAX with a bit lower ER? Thanks.

I am in materialistic SoFlo and I'm rocking a Camry that Fred Flintstone's great granduncle drove. I guess it doesn't matter if you are a run-of-the-mill pharmacist like me. If you are in a more business or sale-oriented environment then your ride probably matters not only to yourself.

If I see a sales person with a nice car then I know they're making a killing off of you. Total turnoff. My friend kept raving about his financial advisor who drove an expensive Mercedes. She sold him some scam annuity and I knew she was taking him for a ride. 18 months later, he finally cancelled his policy because he couldn't afford it anymore.

• Wow
Man you guys that are investing heavily in small caps and international to "diversify" and because "small caps have done better historically" have gotten BURNED over the past 10 years. Stocks go through cycles of preferring different asset classes. Usually, after crashes/corrections there's a rotation into something else. The BIG winners over the past 10 years have been US large-cap, growth companies so if you've been investing in small cap, international, value stocks because they've "outperformed historically" you may have left a ridiculous amount of money on the table.

Article about how the US markets have stomped international for decades. Corporate America is the greatest profit-generating engine in the world. You guys work yourselves to death for shareholders every day having virtually no labor laws that protect you like in other countries and yet you don't invest all your money in corporate America to reap the benefits??? There's a reason wealth inequality is an issue now with all profits going to shareholders and wages having not increased on an inflation-adjusted basis in decades.

Chart specifying market preferences for growth vs value stocks over time. You can see that growth stocks were undervalued greatly before the '01 tech crash and since then we've been off to the races. Starting to approach being overheated so maybe soon going back to value may be a good idea.

Chart specifying market preferences for large-cap vs small-cap stocks over time. Large caps have been doing incredibly well lately. Soon, it may be better to rotate back into small caps.

You can't predict the future. The lesson here is that past performance doesn't guarantee future returns. If you've been heavily invested in small caps and value stocks because they've done well historically, or international because "emerging markets are growing quickly" you've left HUGE money on the table. The best answer is to likely diversify equally across the board to reduce risk and take the average, but I do see the potential in weighting towards what's winning in the current bull market and then rotating once the above charts start to get overheated/swing in the other direction.
1990-2000 =
2000-2010 = small cap value
2010-2020 = large cap growth
2020+ = who the hell knows...

I wouldn't bet against China, and India emerging economy. They are the one growing gdp faster than anyone else nowadays.

Last edited:
Gyna is screwed demographically long term and India will be more of a sweltering hellhole in 20 years, so prob not

Gyna is screwed demographically long term and India will be more of a sweltering hellhole in 20 years, so prob not

LoL I didn't know what Gyna was at first.

India already is already sweltering. I asked an Indian friend if he'd ever move back and be said "have you been there? It's hot, it's crowded, it sucks"

Not to say corrupt.. You can bribe police $100 so that you won’t have to pay $150 ticket.

It’s a chaotic lawless place where you can even get away with rape/ murder as long as you have money.. This applies to that part of Asian countries in general.

Bill Clinton and Donald Trump anyone

• Haha
Bill Clinton and Donald Trump held/hold the highest political office in the United States.

OJ Simpson did not

Not to say corrupt.. You can bribe police $100 so that you won’t have to pay $150 ticket.

It’s a chaotic lawless place where you can even get away with rape/ murder as long as you have money.. This applies to that part of Asian countries in general.

In America, if you're a hot girl then you don't have to pay anything to get out of a ticket. Or if you're related to a police officer, they can just get the ticket cancelled for you.

If I had to make a point it's that enough money and power can buy your way out of anything in any nation state even if you don't have to interact with the bureaucracy of that state to get away with whatever

Ex: Former Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn literally escaped Japan on a private plane.
Director Roman Polanski a child rapist living in France. Fled the US in 1978

In America, if you're a hot girl then you don't have to pay anything to get out of a ticket. Or if you're related to a police officer, they can just get the ticket cancelled for you.
If you are a hot girl, you can make $100k/mo minimum at onlyfans catering to simps, or have a life without ever working. It's a ticket to easy $$$$ on earth.

Roman Polanski has lived his life as a fugitive.. He has constantly suffered humiliation throughout his career in France. Recently he won the French award and half of the audience walked out in disgust. He has been detained few times at the airport when traveling to different Europe country. Living like a dog is not my idea of buying your way out of trouble.

It’s simply incomprehensible for someone who has grown up in west to grasp the extent of corruption in some parts of the world. Tell me when SATs, MCAT and DAT exams get sold for money; tell me when US doctors start removing kidneys of the patients who have come for knee replacement and then selling them in illegal markets. Tell me when government approves railway budget for $1 billion and $900 mils get eaten by politicians and only $100 mil go toward actual project. Tell me when you can buy your PhDs by bribing your PhD supervisor!

Is there a corruption in US at the higher level? Sure there is (watch Wire). But it doesn’t affect the common joe. In some countries it’s rampant. It’s like a parasite that eats away all the nutrients, leaving only bag of bones behind. Part of the reason West has been successful since they have been able to control this spread at the commoners’ level.

Source: I lived in that part of world for more than half of my life.

North American Free Trade Agreement - Wikipedia

Yes you can say "micro-corruption" is definitely encountered on the day-to-day in developing ****holes, but the U.S. is ****ing macro-corrupt as **** at all levels.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I picked the broadest index stock fund with lowest expense ratio, hate paying fees.

I agree. Being old with tons of money is pointless. You worked hard to make $$$. You deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labor. When I am old, I will stay in-doors playing PC games until I die. I dont need anything excess of property tax/utility/food/some extra hundreds to spend on games.
My goal is to live in a dormitory style home with a bunch of boardgame fanatic roomies and workout/play board games/go on boardgame roadtrips till I drop dead.

My goal is to live in a dormitory style home with a bunch of boardgame fanatic roomies and workout/play board games/go on boardgame roadtrips till I drop dead.

+ cleaning service + gf + own room

I was looking at this property and it was exactly that. A whole bunch of guys were playing games. Dogs were in one room, rabbits were in another. Beer, pizza. It was a total mess.

That sounds fun in your 20s. By the time you're in your 30s, it will seem lame.

That sounds fun in your 20s. By the time you're in your 30s, it will seem lame.
I think it's still fun no matter what age.

Once you have a family, you are forced (not by choice) to not wanna be in that environment even though you know it's still fun.