What's your 401k asset allocation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is your 401k still down? Looks like I almost copied you.

Of course my 401 k is down. I am up on my taxable account because of my gold bet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does WM really have a bad 401-K plan? It’s been looking real good the last 5 years before the end of March.

You can toss everything into the Blackrock Russell 1000 (0.02% expense ratio) if you think you have a future as a pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can toss everything into the Blackrock Russell 1000 (0.02% expense ratio) if you think you have a future as a pharmacist.

What does your future as a pharmacist have to do with anything? That sounds like a solid fund. If you leave the field then you can keep your money in there.

If most pharmacists can't afford to retire early they really shouldn't take on the risk of leaving their 401k balance 100% in equities if facing an involuntary exit from pharmacy.

If most pharmacists can't afford to retire early they really shouldn't take on the risk of leaving their 401k balance 100% in equities if facing an involuntary exit from pharmacy.

Are you suggesting if a pharmacist gets laid off, they should withdraw early from their 401k?

If I lose my job then I'll get a job in another field. I'm still not changing my 401k allocation for the next 20+ years.

Most pharmacists aren't going to make as much in another "field." Older pharmacists will prob have to resort to doing Roth conversion ladders or 72t

Most pharmacists aren't going to make as much in another "field." Older pharmacists will prob have to resort to doing Roth conversion ladders or 72t

You didn't answer my question.

What does your future as a pharmacist have to do with anything?

Are you suggesting if a pharmacist gets laid off, they should withdraw early from their 401k?

Withdrawing from a 401k shouldn't be ruled out entirely. The CARES Act allows you to withdraw up to 100k from your 401k due without the 10% penalty.

I guess if you believe in the delusion that stocks only go up, which is mainly supported by the dollar's reserve status and the U.S. military theoretically being able to bomb the **** out of anyone ... until it isn't (then "everyone is screwed anyway"), then sure you can leave your funds 100% in equities.

I guess if you believe in the delusion that stocks only go up, which is mainly supported by the dollar's reserve status and the U.S. military theoretically being able to bomb the **** out of anyone ... until it isn't (then "everyone is screwed anyway"), then sure you can leave your funds 100% in equities.

So you think the US is going to crumble?

Stocks go up..... Over time.

Where do you propose a person park their money? In bonds??

• Hmm
Cash is a position. 100% bonds is not the only position. Adjust to your risk tolerance.

Yes the U.S. is going to do a slow bleed out like everyone else and before the sun is going to explode in 5 billion years. Environmental degradation and resource depletion are things. Fortunately older types can discuss 401k allocations and managing retirement if they haven't been totally profligate. Also the markets appear not to correlate to the actual physical economy that requires physical inputs so that is to 'investors'' benefit. It's the younger generations and the poors and those who have yet to be born who are screwed.

Withdrawing from a 401k shouldn't be ruled out entirely. The CARES Act allows you to withdraw up to 100k from your 401k due without the 10% penalty.

What is your allocation? Any recommendations?

Cash is a position. 100% bonds is not the only position. Adjust to your risk tolerance.

Yes the U.S. is going to do a slow bleed out like everyone else and before the sun is going to explode in 5 billion years. Environmental degradation and resource depletion are things. Fortunately older types can discuss 401k allocations and managing retirement if they haven't been totally profligate. Also the markets appear not to correlate to the actual physical economy that requires physical inputs so that is to 'investors'' benefit. It's the younger generations and the poors and those who have yet to be born who are screwed.

What does any of that have to do with @mentos?

Earth is still going to be here in 30 years or however long until retirement

Anyways, so you propose staying in dollars? For how long?

I for one see a drop in the near future due to the outcomes of COVID but over time yes stocks will be higher. However if you are going to stay in dollars, you have to prepare yourself to being wrong and willing to buy at higher valuations otherwise you will be stuck missing out on all the gains.

Members don't see this ad :)
And.... valuations are way higher than in 2000. Does that mean you wait for 2000 valuations?

Since the US government cared enough to implement unprecedented fiscal stimulus... maybe consider that there are also things that are unprecedented that will come to pass such as long-term economic stagnation, which may or may not lead to stagnating financial markets

Valuations should be higher with lower interest rates.

Are you going to give a timeframe or not?

5 years will we be at s&p500 3k? Yes or No?

I would say there's a good chance it's yes meaning if we do drop, you get to make gains during the climb back up.

A flat market is much different then a recession. You make money during recessions.

I wouldn't bet on it and you wouldn't either.

The point is anyone with precarious job security shouldn't either when they may actually need the money to eat.

The point is anyone with precarious job security shouldn't either when they may actually need the money to eat.

Enough with the mumbo jumbo. What's your allocation? Why is this so hard to share? You're starting to sound like that charts guy in the investment thread who won't share how much he's won or lost.

Last edited:

So you think people should stick with cash just in case they lose their job?

Inflation is going to kill that

Enough with the mumbo jumbo. What's your allocation? Why is this so hard to share? You're starting to sound like that charts guy in the investment thread who won't share how much he's won or lost.
Why would I share personal information with you? I don't even know you.

None of my statements are grandiose nor fear-mongering. The only uncertainty is the timing.

Yes I said 100% cash or 100% equities. No other alternatives to deal with your money

Edit: inb4 "the title of the thread" as though threads don't go off the rails all the time (like now) after just mentioning an available Walmart 401k fund while referring to the uncertainty of remaining gainfully employed at Walmart as a pharmacist or anywhere else as a pharmacist. There's always the option to get displaced to work as a stocker for $10-13/hr though.

Last edited:
Who cares what fools are doing. People who market time don't make money in the long run. That's a fact. They will continue to trail the market with just 1 wrong move. Just to way too blind to admit it.

I'm still up even with the big crash.

Why would I share personal information with you? I don't even know you.

None of my statements are grandiose nor fear-mongering. The only uncertainty is the timing.

Yes I said 100% cash or 100% equities. No other alternatives to deal with your money

Edit: inb4 "the title of the thread" as though threads don't go off the rails all the time (like now) after just mentioning an available Walmart 401k fund while referring to the uncertainty of remaining gainfully employed at Walmart as a pharmacist or anywhere else as a pharmacist. There's always the option to get displaced to work as a stocker for $10-13/hr though.

The title of this thread is "What's your 401k asset allocation?" If you don't want to answer it while berating others on an anonymous forum then I don't know what your problem is. You sound like you have a huge stick up your ass LoL.

Who cares what fools are doing. People who market time don't make money in the long run. That's a fact. They will continue to trail the market with just 1 wrong move. Just to way too blind to admit it.

I'm still up even with the big crash.

Nice, is yours still the same?

32% small cap
32% S&P 500
36% international

I had a lot of small caps and mid caps that got hit hard.

Nice, is yours still the same?

32% small cap
32% S&P 500
36% international

I had a lot of small caps and mid caps that got hit hard.
Yes, that's the problem with expected return. Mid and small have higher expected returns compare to large cap. But, they might not show up for extended period of time. You might trail the index for 10+ yrs.

Asset allocation is highly personal. If you don't believe in yours then you will keep changing it seeking for an optimal one everytime one slice drops (In this forum, when someone brags about some random assets that just recently went up in value). Most of the time you will change it at the worst time and watch it run to the top. For these kind of investors, I suggest to just stick with S&P 500 or a target date and forget about it.

Yes, that's the problem with expected return. Mid and small have higher expected returns compare to large cap. But, they might not show up for extended period of time. You might trail the index for 10+ yrs.

Asset allocation is highly personal. If you don't believe in yours then you will keep changing it seeking for an optimal one everytime one slice drops (In this forum, when someone brags about some random assets that just recently went up in value). Most of the time you will change it at the worst time and watch it run to the top. For these kind of investors, I suggest to just stick with S&P 500 or a target date and forget about it.

You don't invest in mid caps?

The small caps have been underperforming due to sector holdings.

Large cap is way heavier in technology which is killing it this year.

Small cap is slightly heavier in financial industrial and real estate which has underperformed big time. You're looking at about 40% to 25% difference between the two.

Last edited:
The small caps have been underperforming due to sector holdings.

Large cap is way heavier in technology which is killing it this year.

Small cap is slightly heavier in financial industrial and real estate which has underperformed big time. You're looking at about 40% to 25% difference between the two.

Good info. What about mid caps?

Good info. What about mid caps?
Depends on what you are looking for. Above was for the Russell 2000 so it's the bottom 2000 from the Russell 3000. It's going to contain mid cap too.

It's only 10% the total market.

Different ETFs will contain much different sector allocations. There's a Russell midcap that's way too high in real estate and very low in technology.

Vanguard also has a mid cap called VO. It's more balanced between different sectors then the Russell mid cap

Last edited:
The title of this thread is "What's your 401k asset allocation?" If you don't want to answer it while berating others on an anonymous forum then I don't know what your problem is. You sound like you have a huge stick up your ass LoL.

Actually you're crapping in your own thread also. I didn't answer it (I didn't participate in the first place) other than to point out a WM 401k institutional fund for the low ER and taking a swipe at pharmacy which 4 out of 5 posters do anyway.

Actually you're crapping in your own thread also. I didn't answer it (I didn't participate in the first place) other than to point out a WM 401k institutional fund for the low ER and taking a swipe at pharmacy which 4 out of 5 posters do anyway.

This thread actually has good info in it. So far you've replied 10 times without participating. Go troll another thread.

u mad bro

maybe because you wasted your allocation in small cap and international. "in the long run..." mentality

u mad bro

maybe because you wasted your allocation in small cap and international. "in the long run..." mentality

Curious, how long have you been out?

Or were you never in?

u mad bro

No, I never said I was mad. I'm just not sure what your goal is posting in this thread besides trolling.

Curious, how long have you been out?

Or were you never in?

This guy sounds like the charts guy. He's never going to share any information, he is just here to criticize others and tell us he knows everything while not telling us his holdings. Aka troll.

Please keep your responses civil and non-personal. This seems like it could be a really useful thread if people can refrain from personal attacks and it would be a shame to have to shut it down....

Please keep your responses civil and non-personal. This seems like it could be a really useful thread if people can refrain from personal attacks and it would be a shame to have to shut it down....

Was there an hour's cut and @owlegrad got let go?

Last edited:
  • Haha
You are chasing the current outperformance. Might (not) work. US looks super expensive nowadays. Just look at techs P/E and all the P/E on emerging techs stock (like docu, teledoc, fastly, shop, tesla) that doubles or triples recently in general, they are in nosebleed territory. It takes people to lose some confidence, and they will be the first to drop like a rock.

Small cap mutual fund thru my plan. Also since I did a roll over, invest in my own stock picks. Down about 25 percent with covid issue.

All in Vanguard
32% small cap
32% S&P 500
36% international

Did you change this at all? Small caps took a beating from Covid.

My accounts were down big time from having so much small caps and mid caps during Covid. I moved everything to 80% large caps/total stock market, 20% international. Now my old accounts are back to their Feb highs and the new accounts are up for the year. I know everyone here had major gains. I'm just glad to be back where I was.

Did you change this at all? Small caps took a beating from Covid.

My accounts were down big time from having so much small caps and mid caps during Covid. I moved everything to 80% large caps/total stock market, 20% international. Now my old accounts are back to their Feb highs and the new accounts are up for the year. I know everyone here had major gains. I'm just glad to be back where I was.
Nope. I don't need to change it for the next 30 yrs. That's my asset allocation. More risk, more EXPECTED return. It may or may not materialize. The 401k is back on all time high.

When stocks take a beating is when you should be buying.

My small cap is my weakness performing (other than international).

I changed future allocations but I did not move money out of international/small/mid. I just left it there.

What's your allocation now?

I'm just doing 80 large cap/20 international. Keeping it simple.

I'd have to look, but think it is similar to this

10% small
10% mid
10% international
5% bonds (was 3%, just increased, will move into market if downturns)
65% large cap (1/2 spy, half a vanguard)

It may be slightly different.

Nice. I'm still unsure how much should go into international. Google recommends at least 15%. The target retirement funds all have much more, around 40%. But the returns in the past 10-15 years have lagged a lot vs US. Maybe in 30 years they'll even out?

I don't have any bonds either. I wonder if I should move some money there.

Top 10 holdings of international fund:
Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.
Tencent Holdings Ltd.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
Nestle SA
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
Roche Holding AG
SAP SE
Novartis AG
Unilever
Toyota Motor Corp.

Yeah, there is no way in hell I am cutting back from this.

US valuation looks r3tarded. I will continue to dump money in international stocks as usual.

P/E 16 for international funds Vs. 30 on US side.

If US P/E ever hits 45, I'll sell everything no question asked. We aren't there yet but it's expensive to own US companies.

Toyota is in a decline. No EV, so many of their SUV ride on 10 year old platforms. Stale designs. Terrible infotainment.

But agree holding international is good.

Toyota still sells the #1 selling car in the world. And they still sell what are generally regarded as the most reliable cars on the planet.

I know young people are all on electric and most car guys aren't excited by the concept of owning a Toyota. But Toyota is still going to sell one hell of a lot of cars well into the future. And when they release an electric car, I can see brand loyal buyers lining up for them.

P/E 16 for international funds Vs. 30 on US side.

If US P/E ever hits 45, I'll sell everything no question asked. We aren't there yet but it's expensive to own US companies.
About 25% of my portfolio is VGTSX ( Vanguard Total International Stock Index ) right now considering that it's a huge component of the retirement target date funds. Over the last few years, American growth stocks have become ridiculous. Don McDonald made a really good argument for large cap international funds on his podcast the other day and after really examining the numbers and considering the growth opportunity, I'm actually considering buying into some with my taxable account.

Here's my question, though...does anybody know a good international large cap growth index fund that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? And I mean not-in-America fund. The Vanguard international growth fund (and even that fund costs 0.43%) still has a ton of Telsa and Amazon. I own enough of that with my VTSAX holdings. I just want to diversify with large cap, true international funds. If not, I guess I could just buy more VGTSX.