What's your backup plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoonyLuna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying to formulate a backup plan and was wondering what you guys are doing/would recommend.

>>EDIT<<
Here's my deal: if I dont get in for Fall 2008, I still want to be in school next year, but I'll already have my undergraduate degree, so the next best thing is getting my graduate degree...but does it make sense for me to do a graduate degree if I'm willing to ditch a regular masters in Biology (after one year) for pharmacy school?

What I've decided so far: I need to do some more research, but I might apply for graduate school and if I don't get into a Pharmacy School come Fall 2008, I'll enter the Masters Program. I will then apply for pharmacy school Fall 2008 and try again, if I don't get in then I'll continue with my masters, but if I do, than I'll either try to finish my graduate degree after pharmacy school or concurrently.

At the same time though, I'm tempted to stay as an Undergraduate student and complete a degree in chemistry while continuing to partake in the usual volunteer activities and Pharm Tech job.

Thanks for the input you guys, much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is a good idea for you to "fake" pursue something. If you don't get into pharmacy school and you still want to apply again than you should do something that will increase your chances of getting in for fall 2009. You could work as a pharmacy tech, get a job in research or start volunteering. If you are already doing these things than keep doing them. If you are in the middle of a masters program and apply to pharmacy school the adcoms might be confused about the what the heck you are doing. Additionally, that sounds like a waste of money...
I hope you get in so you won't have to think about alternatives :)

If I don't get accepted the first time I apply, I'll either 1)take more classes that could help me in pharmacy school, 2)work as a pharm tech, 3)apply other places, but no matter what route I'd still keep applying every semester.

Don't persue something if its not what you really want. I'm sure that if you kept applying and making yourself look better (by working as pharm tech or taking more classes) you could eventually get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it is a good idea for you to "fake" pursue something. If you don't get into pharmacy school and you still want to apply again than you should do something that will increase your chances of getting in for fall 2009. You could work as a pharmacy tech, get a job in research or start volunteering. If you are already doing these things than keep doing them. If you are in the middle of a masters program and apply to pharmacy school the adcoms might be confused about the what the heck you are doing. Additionally, that sounds like a waste of money...
I hope you get in so you won't have to think about alternatives :)
Hey, thanks for responding back, I really appreciate it. I think the only reason I'm considering applying for a Masters program is because being a Graduate student might give me more of an edge than being an Undergraduate student (what do you think?)....though, like you said, going into a Masters program for one year without the intention of completing it really doesn't make sense. I'll probably continue to do those things you listed in addition to completing a minor of sorts, so thanks!

No but you sound a bit like a dishonest person.

Work towards a masters degree that you can use as a pharmacist, like an MBA or MPH. You could always finish the second year when you graduate pharmacy school.

No but you sound a bit like a dishonest person.
And, I think you're a fake ;) Checked out your other comments and you seem to enjoy putting others down, dontcha?

Whatevs, have a good one.

And, I think you're a fake ;) Checked out your other comments and you seem to enjoy putting others down, dontcha?

Not really, but I don't think you should be asking for advice here on using deceitful tactics.

Work towards a masters degree that you can use as a pharmacist, like an MBA or MPH. You could always finish the second year when you graduate pharmacy school.
If I entered a 2 year masters program and completed the first year before entering pharmacy school, could I finish up my masters after pharmacy school?

If I entered a 2 year masters program and completed the first year before entering pharmacy school, could I finish up my masters after pharmacy school?

Most likely yes. As long as your progress was satisfactory before you left. Probably have to file some sort of petition but talk to your department.

That is a question you would have to ask your school. You could work on your masters during the summer between pharmacy school, but I wouldnt. It is an option that some people I know have taken.

Not really, but I don't think you should be asking for advice here on using deceitful tactics.
I think the OP was just looking for better options than what he/she could come up with him/herself.

Pharmacy schools like "continuous" students, but sometimes students have no clue what they should do in the interim.

I think the OP was just looking for better options than what he/she could come up with him/herself.

Pharmacy schools like "continuous" students, but sometimes students have no clue what they should do in the interim.
well said.

I'm not trying to engage in chicanery of any kind. I'm simply trying to get input on what you guys think of my entering/possibly not entering graduate school.

well said.

I'm not trying to engage in chicanery of any kind. I'm simply trying to get input on what you guys think of my entering/possibly not entering graduate school.

Entering graduate school is not deceitful, is not a waste of time. It is continuing to move forward with your education, giving yourself more options, while making yourself a better applicant. If you get in pharmacy school before you finish, so what. Finish after school. Everyone who applies to professional school knows there is a chance you wont get in. You cant put your life on pause while waiting to get accepted.

Entering graduate school is not deceitful, is not a waste of time. It is continuing to move forward with your education, giving yourself more options, while making yourself a better applicant. If you get in pharmacy school before you finish, so what. Finish after school. Everyone who applies to professional school knows there is a chance you wont get in. You cant put your life on pause while waiting to get accepted.
I agree with you.

Let's just hope the OP will pick a program that can be one or more of these three things: finished later on if that's what they want to do, will benefit their pharmacy career, or will provide an outlet for personal growth.

Definitely go ahead with the masters program. You are VERY correct because you are thinking ahead. Every person should have a plan B... what if you didn't do the masters program, but retook some classes, and didn't get in again to pharmacy school?? THEN you WASTED a year. Go for a masters program (it'll look GREAT when/if you re-apply to pharmacy school), work towards another degree... if you get accepted to pharmacy school after your first year... GREAT because that is what you had wanted from the beginning. Like it was suggested above... you might decide to go back and finish up that degree after you receive your pharmD.

Best of luck!! And don't let others try and pull you down. :)

She changed the wording of the original post.

I've always thought about going for a PhD in psychology, going to medical school for psychiatry, or just working at starbucks if pharmacy ends up not working out.

She changed the wording of the original post.
Correct. I reread my entry and realized why I came off as "dishonest" and "deceitful" (to you) and decided to reword my entry. Also, after reading a couple of comments I learned that it was possible to finish a graduate degree after pharmacy school, which i am considering.

Cheers :)