What's Your Current Job?????????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre-dentalguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know that everyone is busting their butts trying to get into a dental school. Some of us have succeeded, some are applying next cycle, and others are still waiting for acceptances.

In the meantime, some of us are fortunate enough to work in the dental field as assistants or hygienists. For those of you like myself that can't afford to work in dental field for whatever reason (not enough money, already have a great job, etc)... WHAT'S YOUR CURRENT JOB??

I'm actually a mortgage rep. for Wells Fargo. That's a big difference for dentistry. WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO?

Members don't see this ad.

We all know that everyone is busting their butts trying to get into a dental school. Some of us have succeeded, some are applying next cycle, and others are still waiting for acceptances.

In the meantime, some of us are fortunate enough to work in the dental field as assistants or hygienists. For those of you like myself that can't afford to work in dental field for whatever reason (not enough money, already have a great job, etc)... WHAT'S YOUR CURRENT JOB??

I'm actually a mortgage rep. for Wells Fargo. That's a big difference for dentistry. WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO?

You get your MBA from Terry?

I work in Bank & Finance for a firm in LA- we represent large banks including Wells Fargo! In fact I had to bring work home this weekend and I'm working on a Wells Fargo deal right now- Intellectual Property Lien review and summary--- yeah, I know it sound like TONS of fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a research technologist for Roswell Park Cancer Institute's Dept of Medicine. Currently Vit D interactions in vitro exp and clinical trials. Good stuff.

I work in Bank & Finance for a firm in LA- we represent large banks including Wells Fargo! In fact I had to bring work home this weekend and I'm working on a Wells Fargo deal right now- Intellectual Property Lien review and summary--- yeah, I know it sound like TONS of fun.

Ah man... I hate bring the work home. Be careful with those IPL's, although I dont work on them, I heard they have to be precise. Have fun!

I do medical and office supply purchasing for the health services departments at a local university. I'm also the grunt worker who everyone calls when x,y, or z needs to get fixed or hung or looked at.

Forenscis.... DNA Analyst

I'm a research technologist for Roswell Park Cancer Institute's Dept of Medicine. Currently Vit D interactions in vitro exp and clinical trials. Good stuff.

How did you get into being a res. tech.? I heard that you have to have a Master's in Medicine or a PhD to get into those fields? Sounds like fun though!!

I'm a stripper at nights.

I do medical and office supply purchasing for the health services departments at a local university. I'm also the grunt worker who everyone calls when x,y, or z needs to get fixed or hung or looked at.

Sounds cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work for a large government defense contractor. I build four-channel encryted radios for the Navy. They go in submarines, aircraft carriers, and other naval vessels. I have tried many times to work for dentists but they wouldn't hire me because I'm a dude.

hahha.. ok.

p.s. all u need is BS in Biochem, or Molecular Bio, or similar, and experience in population genetics. The rest is all training.. and oh have u ever done PCR?

it is not as fancy as it sounds. But i can tell u who is ur daddy ..

I work for a large government defense contractor. I build four-channel encryted radios for the Navy. They go in submarines, aircraft carriers, and other naval vessels. I have tried many times to work for dentists but they wouldn't hire me because I'm a dude.

I use to work for a gov contractor called General Dynamics. I maintained and operated a Siprnet encryted network for the USAF and Army. Baghdad was AWESOME!!!

hahha.. ok.

p.s. all u need is BS in Biochem, or Molecular Bio, or similar, and experience in population genetics. The rest is all training.. and oh have u ever done PCR?

it is not as fancy as it sounds. But i can tell u who is ur daddy ..

Do your thing big man!!! I'm not hating!!! I watch CSI on tv all the time and that does not look fun or an easy field to get into.

I have the fancy title of "computer consultant" but all i really do is fix printers and fill them with paper

i am also a psychiatry RA

i think i'm going to go around some pediatric dental offices and ask for an assistant job. It takes some balls to do that...but that's the fastest way.

I am a girl....

CSI on TV is BS. It is not what is made out to be. Do you really think I do my hair when I go to work?? hahah.. forget it.

U have a crime crew that goes out in the field and collects evidence. Not everything is processed by the same ppl that collect it. DNA analysis is the field in it self. We sit in the lab all day and get stuff to test, anything from bones, to underwear for semen, DNA , bodily fluids. U also have fingerprinting ppl, then firearms ppl, then mitochondrial DNA ppl, CODIS unit, drug labs... heck the list goes on.

The field is hard to get into bc everyone wants you to have experience. However, working as an intern for a crime lab while u are still in ur undergrad can open up few doors. There are state labs and private labs... not all work is necessarily straight with the police. And not all cases are murders and rape... we also do burglary!!

And again, it is not as fancy as CSI Miami, or Vegas whatever... makes it out to be.. haha i laugh at that show. However some of the stuff is correct.

I want to do forensic odontology.... the last resort for body recongition.... hence dental school.

Dental school is also hard to get into, but nothing is impossible if you set your heart to it!

I am a girl....

CSI on TV is BS. It is not what is made out to be. Do you really think I do my hair when I go to work?? hahah.. forget it.

U have a crime crew that goes out in the field and collects evidence. Not everything is processed by the same ppl that collect it. DNA analysis is the field in it self. We sit in the lab all day and get stuff to test, anything from bones, to underwear for semen, DNA , bodily fluids. U also have fingerprinting ppl, then firearms ppl, then mitochondrial DNA ppl, CODIS unit, drug labs... heck the list goes on.

The field is hard to get into bc everyone wants you to have experience. However, working as an intern for a crime lab while u are still in ur undergrad can open up few doors. There are state labs and private labs... not all work is necessarily straight with the police. And not all cases are murders and rape... we also do burglary!!

And again, it is not as fancy as CSI Miami, or Vegas whatever... makes it out to be.. haha i laugh at that show. However some of the stuff is correct.

I want to do forensic odontology.... the last resort for body recongition.... hence dental school.

Dental school is also hard to get into, but nothing is impossible if you set your heart to it!

That's really interesting. Why would you even want to go into D school is your doing this job... and I'm assuming you're making 60k+ a year right now. I guess you have your reasons for going in to D School.

Your job sounds much more interesting than being a mortgage lender like myself.

i think i'm going to go around some pediatric dental offices and ask for an assistant job. It takes some balls to do that...but that's the fastest way.

Man, that's a lot of work on your part. Why not just call first or send in your resume? I hope your a female b/c they're a little bias against males in that profession.

That's really interesting. Why would you even want to go into D school is your doing this job... and I'm assuming you're making 60k+ a year right now. I guess you have your reasons for going in to D School.

Your job sounds much more interesting than being a mortgage lender like myself.

not the best paid field ...actually... not much money doing this. I want to do forensic odontology, u do body recognition through dental records, and also study bite marks and cools stuff like that. I always wanted to be a dentist, just now I get to do two things I like the most.

But yeah, I have to say I just plain lucked out with this job. It was a great experience. But no one goes into it hoping to make tons of money...u would be suprised.

not the best paid field ...actually... not much money doing this. I want to do forensic odontology, u do body recognition through dental records, and also study bite marks and cools stuff like that. I always wanted to be a dentist, just now I get to do two things I like the most.

But yeah, I have to say I just plain lucked out with this job. It was a great experience. But no one goes into it hoping to make tons of money...u would be suprised.

Good luck to you!!

I teach 6th grade history at a private elementary school.

That's cool. I always wanted to teach middle school. Any subject would suffice! What would I have to do to start teaching? Get a license,right?

That's where I work!!! I'm at the plant in Scottsdale, AZ.

I was in El Pasa and Abilene, TX. G.D. had us traveling a lot... we went to AZ a few times!! The pay was HOT!!!

I am a dental assistant. I can't wait to be on the other side of the chair! :)

I am a dental assistant. I can't wait to be on the other side of the chair! :)

As an assistant does your dent allow you to perform procedures on the patients or do you just answer phones and file records?

I am a girl....

How come they (on the CSI TV show) always have the lights off at crime scenes and they use flashlights? Just turn on the damn lights. That always bothers me.:laugh:

As an assistant does your dent allow you to perform procedures on the patients or do you just answer phones and file records?

I'm an assistant too at an ortho/pedo office. i work on patients & do the business end of things. i take xrays, impressions, do prophies (cleanings), ofcourse assist chairside, change bands/ties, adjust appliances, insurance billing, phone calls. the list is long, as the work never seems to stop, but i have learned a lot in the year that i have been working there. i can't wait to be the one calling the shots! hopefully, soon. :p

I'm an assistant too at an ortho/pedo office. i work on patients & do the business end of things. i take xrays, impressions, do prophies (cleanings), ofcourse assist chairside, change bands/ties, adjust appliances, insurance billing, phone calls. the list is long, as the work never seems to stop, but i have learned a lot in the year that i have been working there. i can't wait to be the one calling the shots! hopefully, soon. :p

See that's the kind of job I'm looking for. However, their not likely to hire men in that field. What the salary looking like?

I've been a chairside assistant for 9 years. I take impressions, make provisional crowns, take radiographs, etc. Once, when my boss lost a filling, I placed a temp. filling until he could get into his dentist. I usually do a preliminary diagnosis on patients when they come in for emergencies. Assistants aren't allowed to do cleanings in Ohio (other than coronal polishing), so I haven't done that, but I do quite a lot of things.

Man, that's a lot of work on your part. Why not just call first or send in your resume? I hope your a female b/c they're a little bias against males in that profession.

Well...it worked for me in the past...first you ask for some volunteering job...then you work your way up! that's how i get around. Calling them never works. Bias agaisnt males as an assistant? maybe true...but I can't walk in with that mentality.

I've been a chairside assistant for 9 years. I take impressions, make provisional crowns, take radiographs, etc. Once, when my boss lost a filling, I placed a temp. filling until he could get into his dentist. I usually do a preliminary diagnosis on patients when they come in for emergencies. Assistants aren't allowed to do cleanings in Ohio (other than coronal polishing), so I haven't done that, but I do quite a lot of things.

Ohio...are you going to CASE, mom2dr?

How come they (on the CSI TV show) always have the lights off at crime scenes and they use flashlights? Just turn on the damn lights. That always bothers me.:laugh:

hahah me too!!! They also make their labs look all dim and cozy, when in reality they are well lit, and ur every move is recorded by a video camera, for quality control purposes.

What I always find amazing is how they all have perfect make up and every girl is wearing a freshly applied lipstck! hahah

That's cool. I always wanted to teach middle school. Any subject would suffice! What would I have to do to start teaching? Get a license,right?

No. ... Believe it or not, most private schools don't require a teaching license. Most are just looking for a Bachelor's ...

organic chem tutor and i stock beer at the local grocery

I do menial tests at a medical lab. The hours are flexible.

How did you get into being a res. tech.? I heard that you have to have a Master's in Medicine or a PhD to get into those fields? Sounds like fun though!!

Wow, a lot of people have really intersting jobs right now. I have my Master's degree, so you may need one to have a good shot at getting that position. I started as a lab tech though and was promoted...It may help too that I work in the lab of a Senior VP.

Ohio...are you going to CASE, mom2dr?

No. I am going to Ohio State. Although, for the dental radiology continuing ed., I always have an instructor from Case. If you are going there, don't screw up your radiographs, or she'll announce your name to the class......LOL.

I work 3 jobs all part time. Wed-Fri 8-4 I work at a pet store. Mon and Tues mornings, as well as Thurs evenings and emergencies on the weekends I assist and do the lab work at my father's dental office. And the job that pays all of my bills: I'm a private tutor for Chem, Bio, Biochem, Organic Chem, Trig, the PAT portion of the DAT, and Physical chem for one RPI student (I will never tutor that subject ever again!) Monday through Saturday in the evenings. I'm trying to save up enough money to go and travel for three months before I enter into dental school. I figure this year will be the last time I can travel extensively for a long time.

organic chem tutor ...

Thats a job?? and all this time i was doing it for fun :D ...
oh wait.. i do get something mailed to me every so often that i guess is supposed to be a check... sometimes its almost worth as much as the paper its written on.. :p

thank goodness its fun and it definitely helped me when the O-Chem section of the DAT came along! :thumbup:

I just got my Masters in Biomedical Science and am now a Research Assistant at Harvard Medical School Neuroscience Department

As of 9am CA time on December 1st, my job is officially to sit and do nothing.

But for money I work as a surgery assistant at an OMFS office.

Trying to get a job as a computer lab monitor so I can do more sitting until I start dental school.

I am a molecular pathologist at Texas Children's Hospital for my full-time clinical job, and a research technician for Baylor College of Medicine doing research in therapeutic microbiology. It's great because I am getting clinical and research experience.

I tutor 5 students in middle school math and english. I was a Tech doing a little bit of molecular biology/genetics stuff for about 6 months earlier this year though. I Quit so I can pursue more dental related activities.

Hopefully starting March I can work as an ED Tech.