What's your fall back position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just out of curiosity do you have to have a BS in business to be accepted in an MBA program
Nope, actually a lot of MBA programs have no pre-reqs at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Having an MBA without work experience is like doing a surgery without ever cutting a person open before. The people who benefit from an MBA are people who already have a job and want to move up in their field.

True 5-10 years ago...not so much anymore.

Many, many places look for candidates with MBA over 10+ years experience, etc...and MANY of the top b-schools look for candidates right out of undergrad actually, HBS and GSB starting the trend a couple of years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you looking for a job in research ? I think Ohio state has a PhD in medical chemistry/pharm.D. program but it only shaves a year off. cause I think its like 7 years long.

just wondering what type of jobs would PhD in epidemiology/ phar.D. get you? would it be like a public health gov. job?
Yeah, I'd primarily be looking into public health jobs at that point. I think with the immunology route I'd focus on trying to land a research/teaching position at some school.

Don't need one. I have a position waiting for me :D

Nope, actually a lot of MBA programs have no pre-reqs at all.
Just to specify a little more. You do have to have a BS or BA. However, it does not matter what the degree is in. If i recall Harvard does not even have a BBA program at all, and plenty of them go on to get their MBA.

Get a job talking pharmacists into retiring or leaving the profession en masse.

Get a job talking pharmacists into retiring or leaving the profession en masse.
They should have a person like this for the Post office. Like 30% of our work force can retire or can in the next year or two. Some of these guys have been working for 50+ years!!

Totally take the year and get a Masters, probably MPH. Good careers in Government and Health Services with an MPH

Totally take the year and get a Masters, probably MPH. Good careers in Government and Health Services with an MPH

I think someone told my entire graduating class this and now every person writing into our alum magazine (I went to a liberal arts college where no one is prepared for anything practical) is either doing an MPH, an MSW, a nursing degree, or doing pre-reqs to go into nursing. Most of my classmates still seem to be heading to law school, but the number doing MPHs or nursing are giving them a good run for their money.

Well considering the Earth will be in ruins after December 21, 2012...much like a scene out of Mad Max Meets I am Legend...I will fall back on being a Mercenary. :smuggrin:

In the case of this not happening, I will just be a Pharmacist.

Pardon my ignorance, but don't you have to be a nurse to do a DNP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well considering the Earth will be in ruins after December 21, 2012...much like a scene out of Mad Max Meets I am Legend...I will fall back on being a Mercenary. :smuggrin:

In the case of this not happening, I will just be a Pharmacist.

Not even that, assuming the "pole shift" pundits are correct, and our magnetic field gets whacked up, we might end up incinerated from sea to shining sea.

:p

This article gives a pretty good summation of the perceived impending cataclysm that is the "2012 pole-shift hypothesis"

Bottom line, statistically the world is more likely to end tomorrow than on the aforementioned date.

Naturally. Any belief that ancient people who didn't even have radio or television or electricity or running water or Taco Bell could predict the very day the world would press the giant red self-destruct button is preposterous and dumb.

Naturally. Any belief that ancient people who didn't even have radio or television or electricity or running water or Taco Bell could predict the very day the world would press the giant red self-destruct button is preposterous and dumb.

It's actually much more complicated than that notion. The fact that the Mayans predicted a precise date of galactic alignment with the Earth, Sun and direct center of the Milky Way is rather impressive. Modern astronomy has proven that the mayans astronomical inquiries are very accurate, yet the reason behind these inquiries is still a mystery. Will the world face catastrophic events, nobody knows for sure...probably not. But, what will happen on that day only occurs every 25,000 years and was of great importance to such a "backwards, uncivilized, non-technological society". That alone should raise questions and is something to ponder, but not panic over. How and why they knew as much as they did with little to nothing is interesting, and so is their fascination with time, space and astronomy. Whatever will or will not happen is out of our hands and probably over our heads, so why sweat it. Pole shifts, ice ages, solar flares, asteroids, etc....have happened and will happen again, regardless of what we do.

The world is a pretty strange and magical place, heck it only takes a couple basic bio, chem and science courses to realize it's complexity and diversity. Let alone a small glimpse into quantum physics/mechanics would blow the minds of most simple minded people. So I personally don't rule out anything in life, anything. It's all in the realm of possibilities, including mass destruction on a specific date. But, I don't lose sleep over it.

Sorry about the long message above, I can get carried away with such topics. :rolleyes:

To use a metaphor from the modern industrial world, on Winter Solstice A.D. 2012 it is as if the Giant Odometer of Humanity on Earth hits 100,000 miles and all the cycles big and small turn over to begin anew. The present world age will end and a new world age will begin.
I like this metaphor for whats going to happen :D.

http://www.planetpapp.com/br21december2012/

It's actually much more complicated than that notion. The fact that the Mayans predicted a precise date of galactic alignment with the Earth, Sun and direct center of the Milky Way is rather impressive. Modern astronomy has proven that the mayans astronomical inquiries are very accurate, yet the reason behind these inquiries is still a mystery. Will the world face catastrophic events, nobody knows for sure...probably not. But, what will happen on that day only occurs every 25,000 years and was of great importance to such a "backwards, uncivilized, non-technological society". That alone should raise questions and is something to ponder, but not panic over. How and why they knew as much as they did with little to nothing is interesting, and so is their fascination with time, space and astronomy. Whatever will or will not happen is out of our hands and probably over our heads, so why sweat it. Pole shifts, ice ages, solar flares, asteroids, etc....have happened and will happen again, regardless of what we do.

The world is a pretty strange and magical place, heck it only takes a couple basic bio, chem and science courses to realize it's complexity and diversity. Let alone a small glimpse into quantum physics/mechanics would blow the minds of most simple minded people. So I personally don't rule out anything in life, anything. It's all in the realm of possibilities, including mass destruction on a specific date. But, I don't lose sleep over it.

I was watching a discovery channel thing, and it later was on history channel, about Aliens helping ancient civilations.

I was watching a discovery channel thing, and it later was on history channel, about Aliens helping ancient civilations.

I've seen and read a lot about that topic, much kinda crazy but there remains a whole lot of solid and intriguing research. It's a huge galaxy and a seemingly vast endless universe, so anything is possible.

The human race likes to believe it's the end all be all, but it's very unlikely. Who's to say our "god(s)" aren't ancient alien races that have visisted us and/or are still here. I don't know, but I always keep an open mind and heart...and refrain from dismissing such notions just because society thinks they know all the answers. It wasn't so long ago that people were burned at the stake for believing the Earth wasn't flat, and it wasn't the center of the universe.

The same evil, powerful, and greedy people who stiffled knowledge and information from the mass population throughout our history still remain. Don't think for one second that knowledge and information is no longer stiffled and/or misguided on purpose. It always has been and always will be.

I've seen and read a lot about that topic, much kinda crazy but there remains a whole lot of solid and intriguing research. It's a huge galaxy and a seemingly vast endless universe, so anything is possible.

The human race likes to believe it's the end all be all, but it's very unlikely. Who's to say our "god(s)" aren't ancient alien races that have visisted us and/or are still here. I don't know, but I always keep an open mind and heart...and refrain from dismissing such notions just because society thinks they know all the answers. It wasn't so long ago that people were burned at the stake for believing the Earth wasn't flat, and it wasn't the center of the universe.

The same evil, powerful, and greedy people who stiffled knowledge and information from the mass population throughout our history still remain. Don't think for one second that knowledge and information is no longer stiffled and/or misguided on purpose. It always has been and always will be.

So what you are saying is that the Scientologists might be right? :laugh:

It is my personal opinion that we would be much more technologically advanced had it not been for certain organized groups with specific beliefs getting in the way of things :rolleyes:

It is my personal opinion that we would be much more technologically advanced had it not been for certain organized groups with specific beliefs getting in the way of things :rolleyes:
:thumbup:

UNM- yeah they had flying vehicles and forcefields....wait that's the Disney movie.....

But yes Atlantis showed a lot of technological advances for such an ancient civilization. Egypt did too, and Mayans knew a lot of astronomy.

No I am not saying that, I don't even exactly know what Scientology is about. All I've seen or heard about it is the criticism of actors such as Tom Cruise and John Travolta have received for their associations with it. I'm referring to the vast amount of scriptures, paintings, cave drawings, ancient texts, personal accounts throughout history that specifically talk about or depict extraterrestrial vehicles and life forms on this planet. It's not out of the realm of possibilities, nor is it laughable. Unless of course you are immature, close-minded and think you already have all the answers to life's age old questions....then yes it may be laughable.

Many topics or subjects can be made to look silly, unbelievable or laughable if done so by an organized effort by many. Something that occurs too often in our society, because many of us fear the notion that we might be wrong about something. I'm sure Scientology has it's extreme whackiness and insanity, but the same goes for every single religion/belief system on this planet. I for one don't adhere to or practice/preach any specific religion. The answer to most questions typically lies somewhere in the middle, between the polar extremes. Especially when it comes to religious beliefs and discussion. :)

No I am not saying that, I don't even exactly know what Scientology is about. All I've seen or heard about it is the criticism of actors such as Tom Cruise and John Travolta have received for their associations with it. I'm referring to the vast amount of scriptures, paintings, cave drawings, ancient texts, personal accounts throughout history that specifically talk about or depict extraterrestrial vehicles and life forms on this planet. It's not out of the realm of possibilities, nor is it laughable. Unless of course you are immature, close-minded and think you already have all the answers to life's age old questions....then yes it may be laughable.

Many topics or subjects can be made to look silly, unbelievable or laughable if done so by an organized effort by many. Something that occurs too often in our society, because many of us fear the notion that we might be wrong about something. I'm sure Scientology has it's extreme whackiness and insanity, but the same goes for every single religion/belief system on this planet. I for one don't adhere to or practice/preach any specific religion. The answer to most questions typically lies somewhere in the middle, between the polar extremes. Especially when it comes to religious beliefs and discussion. :)

It was meant as a joke. Most people I have encountered think Scientology is a joke (I don't have an opinion on it one way or another) so it would be extremely ironic for the Scientologists to be right and the billion Christians to be wrong, especially the fundamentalists who believe anything other than accepting Jesus Christ as the savior is a sin against God (or something along those lines).

I have thought long and hard about existence many times. My religion doesn't claim to have any answer to the question, "How were we created?" There are some ideas about "life after death" but they aren't considered to be fact and are certainly not imposed on anyone. It is my personal opinion that we will find out when we get there. Everyone has a different journey to take. I think it is how you get there that matters more than what the "other side" may have to offer. If it's a bunch of aliens that put us here, fine. If it's not, that's fine too. Many people turn to religion because they want answers or are fearful of death. Is that a bad thing? I don't know. Maybe it's silly, maybe it's not. The truth is, we never really know when we are going to die and IMO no amount of praying will save you in many instances. The best thing is to be a good person, enjoy life, and enjoy others. If we die in 2012, then I will die knowing I have accomlished a lot and that, overall, I have found happiness. I just hope it isn't painful :laugh: A meteor would do..

I'm pretty sure L. Ron Hubbard admitted that he started Scientology as an elaborate way to create a tax shelter for himself.

He's probably reading this thread right now. (snicker)

In all seriousness, organized religion is probably the most successful cash cow for the "chosen few" since human antiquity.

He's probably reading this thread right now. (snicker)

In all seriousness, organized religion is probably the most successful cash cow for the "chosen few" since human antiquity.

:thumbup::thumbup: Two thumbs up like ebert and roeper say....

Hell speaking of which maybe I should declare myself as a movie critic as a back up...

BTW this "doom and gloom" is getting redic...

It was meant as a joke. Most people I have encountered think Scientology is a joke (I don't have an opinion on it one way or another) so it would be extremely ironic for the Scientologists to be right and the billion Christians to be wrong, especially the fundamentalists who believe anything other than accepting Jesus Christ as the savior is a sin against God (or something along those lines).

I have thought long and hard about existence many times. My religion doesn't claim to have any answer to the question, "How were we created?" There are some ideas about "life after death" but they aren't considered to be fact and are certainly not imposed on anyone. It is my personal opinion that we will find out when we get there. Everyone has a different journey to take. I think it is how you get there that matters more than what the "other side" may have to offer. If it's a bunch of aliens that put us here, fine. If it's not, that's fine too. Many people turn to religion because they want answers or are fearful of death. Is that a bad thing? I don't know. Maybe it's silly, maybe it's not. The truth is, we never really know when we are going to die and IMO no amount of praying will save you in many instances. The best thing is to be a good person, enjoy life, and enjoy others. If we die in 2012, then I will die knowing I have accomlished a lot and that, overall, I have found happiness. I just hope it isn't painful :laugh: A meteor would do..
:thumbup: I feel the same way.

Classic middle groud fallacy. There is no middle groud in religion. Ether Jesus Christ is the son of God, the creator of heaven and earth, or he is not (for instance). What is the middle ground here? Jesus is his half-son? He created heaven but not earth?

I actually want to go into modeling or an acting career if pharmacy doesn't work out for me. I know beauty won't last forever so that's why an education is so important :thumbup:

Classic middle groud fallacy. There is no middle groud in religion. Ether Jesus Christ is the son of God, the creator of heaven and earth, or he is not (for instance). What is the middle ground here? Jesus is his half-son? He created heaven but not earth?

like a demi-god?

I tend to agree with this. When you actually try to define what this "rational middle ground" is, things often start to fall apart. Your post reminds me of the three L's arguement that C.S. Lewis advoacted. Assuming the Bible gives us an accurate record of what Jesus said, you only have three options. He can be either a liar, a lunatic, or Lord. This goes against the common idea of Jesus as "a good person" or a phrophet. Anyway.... I apologize to the mods for dragging this furthur off topic ;)

I agree- there is no middle ground in religion and if there were, the middle east would not be the way it is.

In my religion, a demi-god exists in a realm "above" humans but is jealous, narcissistic, doesn't generate any positive karma and will therefore fall into the lower realms in their next life.

I tend to agree with this. When you actually try to define what this "rational middle ground" is, things often start to fall apart. Your post reminds me of the three L's arguement that C.S. Lewis advoacted. Assuming the Bible gives us an accurate record of what Jesus said, you only have three options. He can be either a liar, a lunatic, or Lord. This goes against the common idea of Jesus as "a good person" or a phrophet. Anyway.... I apologize to the mods for dragging this furthur off topic ;)

I have heard a similar thing. Apparantly some people believe that Jesus was a prophet (or at least a good human being), but was not the son of God. That's crazy talk. You cannot go around saying things like, "I am the way, the truth and the light" unless it's true.

Oh dear. I wasn't using half-son to be clever. I was thinking like half-sister and such. It just occured to me their is no such thing as a half-son. Must be bed-time. Goodnight SDN.

...or the fact that it took almost a century after the events occurred until they were written down caused some facts to get exaggerated or changed over time, thus making this Jesus fella neither a liar, lunatic, nor lord.

Or the entire thing is a work of fiction.

Or borrowed heavily from other man-god-savior mystery religions...

...or the fact that it took almost a century after the events occurred until they were written down caused some facts to get exaggerated or changed over time, thus making this Jesus fella neither a liar, lunatic, nor lord.

Or the entire thing is a work of fiction.

Or borrowed heavily from other man-god-savior mystery religions...

Well, I kinda put a disclaimer for that sort of argument in when i said "assuming the bible is an accurate record." Obviously Lewis's argument falls apart if the Bible is not accurate. That's a whole different discussion which i don't particularly feel like getting into right now (especially since it's midnight here and I have to work in the morning :)).

If I don't find a pharmacy job right away I will put my associates degree to good use as an RN. By then I will have 7 years experience as a nurse and will at least be able to make enough to keep up with loans while I wait for a pharm job to open up.

I believe if we look into all we know about science there is a gap of knowledge, the chance of human life on this exact planet being 1 in 600 billion. assuming the Big bang is real, two particles of energy would of have to collide, therefore being present in an empty universe, perhaps these things are God, or are created by God. It's foolish to not think Evolution is real, it has more evidence for it then gravity. Isn't it enough evidence to believe that on top of the huge shot there's life, there were precise instances that allowed us to live like we do today. The fact is Jesus did exist, he was shown to exist in history. Whether or not he was the son of God is debatable. But there has to be a "God" somewhere for things to work. Assuming everything was chance, God was that energy. Assuming you believe there must be something else then maybe God affects the Cosmos. but something brought the universe to life and set the steps for us to grow.