You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What's your fitness level?
Started by Requiem
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
You forgot to put in walking from the parking lot to class. (5 minutes each way.😳)
I was an athletic machine going into pharmacy school....now....not as much. I mean, c'mon, I got married....and the entire point of marriage is a tax break and not having to workout anymore for sex. Though I'm getting that way again with this damned Adderall. I've lost 15 pounds so far in about 1.5 months or so. I'm on pace to be back down to 6% BF before too long.... 😱
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was an athletic machine going into pharmacy school....now....not as much. I mean, c'mon, I got married....and the entire point of marriage is a tax break and not having to workout anymore for sex. Though I'm getting that way again with this damned Adderall. I've lost 15 pounds so far in about 1.5 months or so. I'm on pace to be back down to 6% BF before too long.... 😱
And probably a heart attack by 35; small price to pay for the miracle treatment of "adult attention deficit disorder."
I am a member at Curves, and try to get there at least 3 times a week for 30 minutes each time. But, there are times when that goes by the way side due to things like exams and big projects etc.
And probably a heart attack by 35; small price to pay for the miracle treatment of "adult attention deficit disorder."
Last checkup (last Friday) my HR was 55, BP 115/75. If you lack Dopamine and NE, increasing synaptic concentrations only makes it normal, silly bear. No, it just seems to suppress my hunger more than anything else.....I forget to eat until dinner many days. The hunger just pops up as the plasma levels decrease.
I walk to work and back.......17 -21 minutes each way. It is all I have time to do. I am also on my feet at work most of my day; this should count for something.
Last checkup (last Friday) my HR was 55, BP 115/75. If you lack Dopamine and NE, increasing synaptic concentrations only makes it normal, silly bear. No, it just seems to suppress my hunger more than anything else.....I forget to eat until dinner many days. The hunger just pops up as the plasma levels decrease.
What were your last CNS dopamine/NE concentrations, since you seem to think these are quantifiable (by some arbitrary lazy factor or something similar)? Bradycardia makes sense, secondary to peripheral constriction/increased venous return to the heart, which most likely will be contributory to cardiovascular complications long term.
it just seems to suppress my hunger more than anything else.....I forget to eat until dinner many days.
This happens to me regularly, primarily on days when I work the hardest; I don't know what my norepinephrine levels are on these days incidentally.
What were your last CNS dopamine/NE concentrations, since you seem to think these are quantifiable (by some arbitrary lazy factor or something similar)? Bradycardia makes sense, secondary to peripheral constriction/increased venous return to the heart, which most likely will be contributory to cardiovascular complications long term.
I haven't ever been tachy on the drug short term or long term....so that pretty much kills the excess sympathomimetic innervation thing as that would be a precursor to any sort of compensatory long term adaptation that may later cause brady. Obviously D/NE levels aren't drawn...but the fact remains that I can actually read an entire paper now without daydreaming about arbitrary things two sentences into the thing....and dopamine concentrations appear to be what primarily modulates ADD symptoms.
What's your beef with neurology and psychiatry, though? You one of those "it's all made up" types?
What's your beef with neurology and psychiatry, though? You one of those "it's all made up" types?
No beef, I have a colleague who is a great Neurologist in training, and we share articles and insight quite often. I just don't think being undisciplined is an excuse to convince one's self they have a psychiatric condition.
From experience, out of approximately 6 friends prescribed an amphetamine type agent, all of them were out to trick the Psychiatrist, or themselves to be falsely [read: ridiculously] convinced they had "The ADD."
I've taken these medications a couple times out of curiosity, and honestly, I absolutely do not feel like studying/reading, I feel like partying (like other drugs in this class typically do: cocaine, meth, etc.)
I won't even get started on SSRI's for the pharmaceutical industry created "generalized anxiety disorder," also called LIFE. I don't want your wife yelling at me again.
No beef, I have a colleague who is a great Neurologist in training, and we share articles and insight quite often. I just don't think being undisciplined is an excuse to convince one's self they have a psychiatric condition.
From experience, out of approximately 6 friends prescribed an amphetamine type agent, all of them were out to trick the Psychiatrist, or themselves seemed to be falsely [read: ridiculously] convinced they had "The ADD."
I've taken these medications a couple times out of curiosity, and honestly, I absolutely do not feel like studying/reading, I feel like partying (like other drugs in this class typically do: cocaine, meth, etcl.)
I won't even get started on SSRI's for the pharmaceutical industry created "generalized anxiety disorder," also called LIFE. I don't want your wife yelling at me again.
I would tend to agree that it's overdiagnosed......but in my case I actually had a neuro/psych pharmacist I was doing a rotation under flat out tell me I should be tested for ADD-Primarily Inattentive before I begin practicing.
It's really more than just apathy with me. I speak so fast people always say I'm mumbling....it's because I used to think entire paragraphs ahead of my mouth moving. I'd skip entire sentences sometimes.....but i'd think I said it. Weird, huh? I forget to do endless things....i am very easily distracted....I used to have constant internal chatter (not hearing voices....just always thinking to myself)....I display a great deal of creativity (the sole good thing about constant introspection). I mean, if you pull out the DSM, it all fits me to a freakin' "T". And I'm glad I finally manned up and got it taken care of, actually. Nobody wants to think they are mentally ill....although of all the mental illnesses, ADD tends to be one of the more socially accepted ones....
And, kid, you've never seen anyone go into a bizarre catatonic state upon seeing a spider. Crying, motionless, unresponsive....for 30 minutes. That's not just "life".
I would tend to agree that it's overdiagnosed......but in my case I actually had a neuro/psych pharmacist I was doing a rotation under flat out tell me I should be tested for ADD-Primarily Inattentive before I begin practicing.
Neuro/Psych Pharmacist? What the hell is that supposed to mean? You think this guy knows anything? Probably no more than any other "clinical" RPh (of course all pharmacists are clinical in this area because they have an exam in pharmacy school on antidepressants).
You mean one of those ***** clinical pharmacy specialists? I bet he did a residency, and you are putting stock in his advice? Who would do this?
I've taken these medications a couple times out of curiosity...I feel like partying (like other drugs in this class typically do: cocaine, meth, etc.)
Totally reminds me of our drug abuse lectures. Thanks for a good chuckle.
Oh, to not jack this thread anymore than it has been, I don't have a formal exercise plan but I ride my bike to school and back when its not raining. 10.5 miles a day at least gets my heart rate up for a total of 40-50 min/day. Too bad my BMI is still over 25.
Neuro/Psych Pharmacist? What the hell is that supposed to mean? You think this guy knows anything? Probably no more than any other "clinical" RPh (of course all pharmacists are clinical in this area because they have an exam in pharmacy school on antidepressants).
You mean one of those ***** clinical pharmacy specialists? I bet he did a residency, and you are putting stock in his advice? Who would do this?
Ah, sarcasm.....the tool of those whom can't be funny on their own merit.
Look man, I know ya don't like me....that's cool...whatever...I'm sorry I hurt your feelings in the past.....but I'm not the person you assume I am. I kinda get a kick of this mental image you apparently have of me to be honest.....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my workout in pharmacy school was walking to the bar and repeatedly lifting the frosty glass mugs during happy hour.
now, working overnights, I have little time, energy, or motivation to workout.
I'd rather sleep. I don't eat much on my week on, so my weight stays pretty constant.
Walking my dog is about the only exercise I get. Occasionally go hiking.
now, working overnights, I have little time, energy, or motivation to workout.
I'd rather sleep. I don't eat much on my week on, so my weight stays pretty constant.
Walking my dog is about the only exercise I get. Occasionally go hiking.
Angst is real. Attention problems are real. Depression is real. Do medications really help with these conditions? I'm not sure.
I felt anxious today. I had a sense of panic. One of our patients always comes in and tells us about his problems. He can hardly communicate, but I can understand him, so I'll listen to him and give feedback every so often. It makes me nervous to hear about his problems. A long line at the register makes me nervous. I fear that I'm going to type a script wrong when I'm doing ten things at once.
My fits with anxiety come and go. I get really nervous before my first exam in a class; I can hardly stand the uncertainty.
Believe it or not, things are going better right now 😀
I felt anxious today. I had a sense of panic. One of our patients always comes in and tells us about his problems. He can hardly communicate, but I can understand him, so I'll listen to him and give feedback every so often. It makes me nervous to hear about his problems. A long line at the register makes me nervous. I fear that I'm going to type a script wrong when I'm doing ten things at once.
My fits with anxiety come and go. I get really nervous before my first exam in a class; I can hardly stand the uncertainty.
Believe it or not, things are going better right now 😀
I do alot of weight lifting, running, playing sports, plyometrics, anything really. About a month ago my friend and I carried a cinder block with us on my normal run about 2.5 miles, that was one of the hardest things I have done in along time.
I've taken these medications a couple times out of curiosity, and honestly, I absolutely do not feel like studying/reading, I feel like partying (like other drugs in this class typically do: cocaine, meth, etc.)
Congrats, your response to amphetamines indicate that you do not have ADD.
Congrats, your response to amphetamines indicate that you do not have ADD.
Eh, I'm gonna ask you guys either PM each other or start your own thread - it's getting a bit out of hand. Stick to the topic.