What's your goal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe that verbalizing and visualizing your goals is a great way to keep focused. You know? So let's put down what your goals are.

I'll start:

Medical: Surgeon of some sort.
- I love the fact that when in the OR it's Focus Time; plus I think that the human body is amazing and I want to be able to FIX problems with my hands, as opposed to prescribing meds.

Fitness: Ride a century (100 miles) in a day. Run a half-marathon in January.

Personal: Learn to play the guitar. Learn how to paint in oils.

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Goal of this exercise:

Medical: neurosurgery and research, especially in pharmacology and psychiatric disorders (BPD is my main interest), although neural circuitry pathways implicated in learning and emotions are interesting as well.But I ramble... :p

Fitness:
Get out more. I like to run and lift weights, but it's hot as hell here and I can't bring myself to get up early enough to work out in the summer. But I'll run when it's 20 degrees at 5 in the morning. Go figure. I also want to take up yoga or tai chi, something that incorporates mind and body. Also, find more "people activities" like mountain climbing, hiking, kayaking, whatever--something with me and one (somewhat) special person. That would be a cool date, too. :love:

Personal: Guitar would be cool, too. I want to cultivate my artistic side, so more museums, theater, etc. Learn to have a life beyond school and kids, but keep it simple in the way of dating. (Nothing committed or heavy). I've got the focus to make my dream happen; nothing's getting in the way, but I don't want to put blinders on, either. Seek out new adventures, be more spontaneous--basically, live life. :laugh: :thumbup:

And of course, the same goals I've always had: always be someone my kids will proud of, do or say nothing in their presence I don't want to see emulated, and try not to f**k up their little heads too much. :D

Religious - be the best Christian I can be and be thankful that perfection is not required.

Family - be the best husband and hopefully someday father that I can.

Medical - get accepted into medical school. Do my absolute best there to leave as many options open as possible. Figure out what specialty I want to pursue. Get accepted into that specialty. Do my absolute best in that residency. Have a good military career. Retire from the military and settle down in a semi-rural area and be one of the local docs. Help as many people as possible in the process.

Fitness - stay fit enough that I can have a long healthy life and I'm not embarassed for people to look at me.

Members don't see this ad :)
School: Accept that I'm probably the oldest in each of my classes. Deal with the fact that I may not be the smartest but I will be the one that works the hardest.

MCAT: Study my butt off so I will only have to take it once!

Fitness: Do my pilates so I too can have the coveted space between the thighs! :laugh: Wear my sunblock daily so I won't have to deal with skin cancer.. :eek:

Personal: Handle the cold during winter. :( And think positive thoughts! :D

Finance: Learn to buy the things I need and not the things I want. (So hard to do!!!)

G'luck to us all! :luck:

Medical: Broaden my horizons as an RN for a couple more years, do a post-bacc either DIY or formal, and then do med school. I want to do primary care in a rural setting and/or for new immigrants (yeah that's where the money is ;-)

Fitness: I want to lose weight and work out more to feel better. I want to hike all the major hikes around here.

Personal: I want to live in Mexico and travel to South America and Europe. I seek to publish a book and have a band that plays on the weekends.

Medical: Be an attending Endocrinologist for both Med and Peds at a teaching hospital, with an associated lab, studying a yet to be determined endocrinological malfunction at the DNA level, be it hypothyroidism, DM1 or 2, acromegaly, et al.

Fitness: Continue to keep my A1C below 6.0

Personal: Enjoy the time spent with my wife, making up for the lost years in med school. Owning a home in Southern California and Yahualica, Mexico and taking off a month per year to treat people in the area.

Medical: Be an Emergency physician. Eventually become the medical director at the local residency program.

Fitness: Fitness??? My fingers get lots of good exercise posting on here ;) Actually, I'm wanting to walk around 3 miles/day every day. (been doing pretty well with this lately)

Personal: Live as normal a life as a physician can. Want to get a house with a pool & be the "official" hang-out place for Little Miss and her friends. Mr wants to be a kept man. ;) I'd like time to pursue some hobbies, too. :D

Medical:Become an emergency physician and possibly a trauma surgeon. To be the best in my field.

Personal: To spend the most quality of time with my daughters, my wife, my family, and myself. To be able to leave this life with as little regret as possible. To experience all that life has to offer

Fitness: To get down to healthy weight and not be afraid to look in the mirror (in progress now. -9lbs in 9weeks via weight watchers).

religious: To be a good jew that respects others for their character not their beliefs. To pass to my children these values that will live on for generations.

Medical: I want to be an expert witness in Forensic Pathology so I can put the bad guys in jail and keep them there. I really want to focus on Clinical Forensic Pathology...that way I can really catch the bad guy while bringing justice to a living patient. Keep improving the technological advancements that identify criminals through the use of DNA, etc. Maybe they'll finally catch on that they're gonna be caught no matter what, so they don't even think about causing harm anymore.

Fitness: 2 dress sizes before Oct.- I'm a bridesmaid...again :(

Personal: House in the Hamptons with 2 small dogs that run with me on the beach, marry a man who values other's lives like his own, always have a good hairday, own a vineyard/vacation house in Italy

Medical: Become an MD and hopefully go into neurosurgery but that may change. If all else fails, I've always wanted to be a monkey. A cute monkey with a tail that I can use to hang from trees.

Fitness: I think my personal goal here with this one might be much different from other people's. I plan on eliminating excessive movement from my life as much as possible. Sweating is gross and stinky.

Personal: Try to be a more relaxed person.

Medical: GET IN BEFORE I DIE! Really, just get into ONE medical school (pleeeeeease?). Get into oncology and help people either get better or die with dignity and not much pain. Either way, help folks live what they got left the way they want.

Fitness: Hmm. Well, I screwed up my ankle 3 years ago pretty badly, so let's just say I hope to gently let it continue healing without becoming Jabba the Hut. Hiking again would be fabulous, but walking the dog without pain is nice for now.

Personal: To be more accepting of my own shortcomings, and more tolerant of other's desired (wallowed in) ignorance. I really have a hard time with people who don't *want* to try or learn. :oops:

Medical- As of now I feel pulled toward Emergency Medicine or Anesthesiology. But most importantly I want to feel I have made a difference in this world before my time is up.

Fitness- I want to lose the weight that has kept me from really enjoying myself. I need to find a fitness program that I can do regularly with my asthma and arthritis.

Personal- To be the best mother, wife, daughter , friend I can be. I have been blessed with so many good people and things in my life that I just hope I can give something back to those that have supported me and given me so much in my life.

My professional goal is to get admitted to Pharmacy School in the next two years and I will have my PharmD by the time I am 31.

My personal goals are to get back into shape, clean my credit up, and be a good father for my son that will be arriving in 6 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Survive and be the one on the top of the heap!!!! :D

Goal of this exercise:

Medical: I would like to graduate med school (well get in first) possibily pursue emergency medicine or internal medicine ... considering surgery ... maybe something in peds? We will see what comes up, that story to continue ... I want to be a leader in my professional and excel at what I do. Compassion with expertise!

Fitness: Get back in shape, play at the US field hockey festival, run a half marathon and a marathon, become more active, possibly take up rock climbing (did it once, AWESOME work out) and/or rowing (another great work out) on a regular basis, I also would like to find someone with same interests as me (either male or female - my friends are lazy). Love to hike, etc.

Personal: Find something I love and I'm passionate about for a career, find someone to spend the rest of my life with, have a family, start a charity/scholarship fund, always give back to the community, become a more well-rounded cultured person, travel around the world (right now I'll settle for leaving the US), read two books a month, be more aware of world current events, never forget my family or friends or who I am, and always follow my dreams. Oh, as stated in my profile, World Domination :smuggrin:

Hey new here, thought I would chime in

Medical: After I get into medical school, I plan on working in women's prisons. The state of medicine inside of prisons is abysmal. People who aren't given life sentences should not have to die in prison. I can't wait to make a difference.

Fitness: Complete a triathalon

Personal: Move to a city in which I have family!

Medical: Become a physician. Right now, I'm leaning towards EM, but.... maybe IM? Eventually, I'd like to do some international medicine, as well.

Personal: Live in a rural community part of the year, and finish a few adventures (sailing around the world in a sailboat, fly around the world in a small airplane, a couple of other minor goals) while I still can. I can't wait for my wife to finish her AF committment (this December) and she finally retires, too - I miss her.

Fitness: Not to deteriorate too much more (as I go off to get a cortisone shot in my elbow) :)

Thanks for posting, folks! it's nice to see where everyone's going. :)

Med: Get in, make it through, graduate and go on to become and orthopedic surgeon.

fitness: more often to tone and lean up somemore... get back into my swimming routines too... some other little things like better diet and such..

personal: oh... many goals there...

Med: get in somewhere, hopefully out of state...get into a good program doing emergency medicine...eventually volunteer overseas when i can.

Fitness: running a half marathon in December...after that, hmm not sure!

Personal: i'd like to get more fluent in the languages i speak and become fluent in spanish. want to travel all over south america & central america...must dive the galapagos, yap, and the great barrier reef before i die...want to pick my bass & guitars back up and play...so many things i want to do!!

Medical:Pass all my science classes. Master the MCATon the first try. Get into medical school in 2006, and become an OB/GYN.

Fitness: Get into better shape. Trying to lose the weight I gained from having my daughter.

Personal: Travel to Africa.

:idea:

Medical:Get into medical school. Finish MPH while in medical school. Complete residency. Become Surgeon General.

Fitness: whats that?

Personal: Buy a vacation home in Vegas and/or have a medical practice where I can be in MN in the summer and NV in the winter. Win the powerball lottery so I can be a doctor but donate my time to the needy. Start several scholarships for non-trads like myself :D

I would like to update my personal goal to include living somewhere with my own washer/dryer in the next 4 years. I really hate having to go to a laundry mat.

Medical: DO School in 06. I would love to go into Anesth or Ortho as a DO and bring more recognition to DO's in this position. However, I'll be 42-43 when done. Oh well, I don't care. I will be spending my time doing what I want to do.

Personal: be a great husband and always make time for my children. In fact, the time will always be there, I will have to make time for other stuff! Clean up the ol' credit and retire with a comfortable life (I don't really care if I am a millionaire - just be comfortable). Oh, yeah - I want to meet Rush Limbaugh too! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Religious: Provide a good conservative christian home, built on clear morals, for my children.

Fitness: Get rid of the spare tire. I have been in a semi-depressed state the last 1 1/2 and ate way too much and stopped exercising. I am back on track now.

Medical: finish residency. Probably do an EM ultrasound fellowship. Then head back to UTHSCSA and teach. Eventually take over Dr. J's job as admissions director. Or at least be on the selection committee. Have a home in Texas and in Puerto Rico or some other tropical latin island where I can practice EM as well.

Personal: Continue to spend as much time with my kid. Have time to do more of my collage work. Start sculpting again. Have time to read ALL the magazines I like to read.

Fitness: lose ten more pounds. Have more time to get to the gym REGULARLY.

roja said:
Eventually take over Dr. J's job as admissions director.

You need to be a bit speedier in this goal. :) ;)

I'm a workin! I'm a workin!. Dr. J assures me that by the time I am done with residency etc, he will be ready to hand over the reigns. I told him I would take a year or two to learn the ropes and then set him out to pasture. :D

No,no.. your ready now. I promise. :)

Oooooooooooooh, I like your new avatar.

/side

Hmm, well, I think I would have a hard time convincing the school to hire me, but we could give it a go. ;)

I know what you mean! shoving quarters into the machines make me extremely bitter!
763.gif

Medical: I would like to finish school and get in the first time around :( . Bouncing from temp job to temp job is no fun. I would eventually like to work in Critical Care. Since I have a sick fascination with the liver, maybe I'll apply MD/PhD. :D

Then again, I don't know. Right now, my goals are a little bit more humble: I want to finish all the pre-reqs and hopefully all of the above will fall into place.

Personal: I am so not suppose to have come as far as I have. (Some of this will be in my personal statement.) ;)
I just want to stop bobbing and weaving and finally "believe" it's going to happen.

Fitness: Isn't this personal as well? :confused: Oh, well, anyway, I want to continue lifting and building upper arm strength. I want some Venus/Serena arms, people! :smuggrin:
I'm not really interested in losing weight right now. (Come see after Xmas, I'm sure I will have changed my mind.) ;) However, I do want to tone up what's already there.

:)

Medical: Decide on a specialty, work in hospital for a while, then get private practice in a small town. Like Dr Quinn. :p The simpler the better. I hope when it's all said and done to be a compassionate and sincere physician. I'm pretty confident I'll get into a school (John Hopkins). I just know it. :p

Fitness: Tone up, and get into marathons, and maybe one day tour de france, and Escape from Alcatraz.. Eat like I should which means more time needed. I wanna be a health freak. LOL! :p

Personal: Be a great mom (be there as much as possible, and make it quality time, and give her the things she needs in life....plus a few extras :p , and a great wife (try to fix my marriage, or move on :( ). Try not to stress so much, and not be so involved in politics. And actually take some time for myself. Get out of debt. :eek: not that much really, but if you don't have it... you don't have it. I want to live a simple life, and take up gardening.

I'm willing to live a fast paced life for now, so that I can slow way down after school. I want to garden and fish, and live in a small community. (peace is what I seek........ people think it's funny because I'm only 22. :rolleyes: )

Medical:

Matriculate into a general surgery residency program with research. After 7 years I want to enroll in a Vascular Surgery Fellowship for one year. Following this I want to spend another year obtaining a fellowship in Geriatric Vascular Surgery. After all of this training, I want to establish a practice in a well-populated but underserved area.

On the side I want to compile a missonary group of colleagues and travel to 3rd world countries to provide free, yet compassionant and competent care. Also, I hope to obtain an NIH fund researching more ways to minimize surgical intervention and maxmize the usage of the computerized arm, Da Vinci.

Fitness:

Run a mile, yes only a mile, without loosing a sweat. :eek: Start to take yoga lessons. Lift some weights to tone up.

Personal:

Get married soon, possibly within the year. Travel to Egypt and see where some of the wonders of the world took root. :thumbup:

To have kids or to adopt kids, that is the question. :rolleyes:

how are people doing with these goals? :)

I have a lot of goals...but I prefer to call them "projects". For some reason, "project" sounds exciting and ripe with possibility, while "goal" sounds more difficult and oppressive. Some of my current projects include:

*Raising my Pharmacy GPA to a 3.5 so that I am competitive for pharmacy residencies
*Organizing my apartment and my life by cleaning, decluttering, and using time and space management tactics
*Dealing with my personal issues such as my mid to late 20s crisis, my perfectionsim, and my anxiety
*Improving my health by implementing a diet and exercise program

For each of my "projects" I've defined a sort of "plan of attack" to follow to achieve these objectives. So far, I'm in the organizing and planning stages for most of these projects, but you have to start somewhere!

Short-term, school: finish my bio degree.
Long-term: get into med school. Become a pathologist or researcher ;)

Publish my "space opera" novel.
Marry Norah Jones.
Own a big house and breed cats.

OK, some of these are more realistic than others. But a girl's gotta dream...

Medical: Long term, I would like to go into academic medicine. I already do research, but I'd like to move in a more clinical direction, and find a niche that will make good use of my chemistry background. Short-term, I'd like to survive AMCAS. And finish my PhD. :rolleyes:

Fitness: Right now my primary goal is to increase flexibility. I've been studying yoga for a few years now, and while I haven't become a pretzel yet, at least I can finally touch my toes! :)

Personal: I made a promise to myself a couple of years ago to lose the losers in my life, so to speak. I mean the people who are negative and tended to drag me down with them. I had to change labs and even change some friends, but I'm pretty happy with the ones that I have now.

Spiritual: I can't call this category "religious," because I am an atheist, but I still ponder about the meaning of life, my own life and life in general. I would say that ultimately I would like to make a difference in someone else's life. And I would like to be the kind of friend that a friend would like to have.

Hi there,

My goals:

Clinical: Finish General Surgery Residency (or do a 4 + 2). If I elect to finish General Surgery residency, take and pass General Surgery Boards; Vascular Surgery fellowship at University of Virginia (gotta go back and work with John Kern one more time), Take and pass Vascular and Endographic Boards. Practice in Northern Virginia (Inova Fairfax Hospital) I am more than half way there! :D :D

Personal: Fly the space shuttle as Mission Specialist. (Worked for NASA and will do this once I am done with my surgery training).

Fitness: Will live to be 100+ (My aunt is 106 and going strong so my genes are very good) :D

njbmd :)

Medical: After finally getting into medical school and graduate, I would like to work in the realm of academics and beome one of the youngest deans of a medical school

Personal: Work very hard on keeping the relationship I have :love:

Fitness: make my stomach flat and lose 30 pounds

Medical: Navigate the first two years of basic sciences without too much pain. Spend third year learning enough to make an informed choice of specialty. Choices that provoke my interest include EM, IM with a subspecialty such as gastroenterology or nephrology, anesthesia or general surgery. Primary care does not work for me.

Fitness: Get back on my diet and bicycling program.

Personal: Keep my marriage going despite the stresses of medical school and residency. Try not to completely loose touch during the medical education process with hobbies that have cost me a substantial quantity of both time and money to gain the equipment and proficiency.