What's your Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Human Biology

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you majoring / minoring in 2 science degrees?

For me though, I had to do it only because it was only because my parents are from China / France. Otherwise I'd go for an easy way out like major in Dance, Theater, or English but I didn't want to disgrace my Mother or my Father.

My G.P.A. was stellar > 3.89

My MCAT was perfect > 42

I was brought up with very very very strict parents (one is from China) and the other is from France. I had studied everyday in the library at Harvard (and had put in more than 25 hours of it every week there) when I was an undergrad. While at medical school I had put in more than 50 hours of studying every week and it really paid off. That was 10 years ago!! Now I am an attending Physician.

I'm doing it because its easy!all I have to do is take an additional two courses for the minor which is applied physics for med 1 & 2. I had semi strict patents that allowed me to enjoy my youth since I'm only going to live once. I also enjoyed several years of backpacking across china and several other Asian countries. Idk if you speak Chinese but I took the HanYu ShuiPing KaoShi WuJi. But I'm actually enjoying my time in school truthfully regardless of how much work it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you telling everyone that you went on a vacation to China and several other Asian countries? Did you enjoy going on a vacation there? Did you at least get to see the Great Wall of China? Was it this past summer that had just ended that you actually went to China and all these great countries?

Time to unravel the mystery. I'm Chinese. I'm a dude. I'm also friends with Jeremy Lin (the NBA basketball player) and with William Hwang (same classmates at Harvard medical school). I've sat next to William Hwang countless times and I enjoyed our lunch breaks together when we're not studying for medical school at Harvard.

http://www.pdsoros.org/current_fellows/index.cfm/yr/2008#hwang

Thought this might be relevant : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=14371671&postcount=3731

And this: http://www.harvard.edu/faqs/mission-statement

Why are you telling everyone that you went on a vacation to China and several other Asian countries? Did you enjoy going on a vacation there? Did you at least get to see the Great Wall of China? Was it this past summer that had just ended that you actually went to China and all these great countries?

Time to unravel the mystery. I'm Chinese. I'm a dude. I'm also friends with Jeremy Lin (the NBA basketball player) and with William Hwang (same classmates at Harvard medical school). I've sat next to William Hwang countless times and I enjoyed our lunch breaks together when we're not studying for medical school at Harvard.

10/10. Strong work

What the.. trolls trolling trolls?

Lol. Might need to transfer later on. Textiles and Apparel is where the sciences are at.:cool:

Transfer?

I'm taking all the pre-reqs for medical school alongside my fashion courses and doing great. Majoring in fashion, from what I've been told by everyone, is a great choice for medical school. It's all about diversity.

Plus, there are real girls in my classes.

Communications.

I love my degree path. They were extremely flexible with the minor requirement, allowing me to sub in all my pre recs. The only thing I hate is trying to fill in the Arts requirements, like needing religion, culture, philosophy, etc. Plus, Communications is huge in medicine, doctors need to know how to talk to people in a convincing way.

Biology at my school was very plant focused, also, they made us take like 4 math classes. I wasnt down with that, aint nobody got time for dat.

Neuroscience (cell and molecular biology) with a minor in Japanese :)

Transfer?

I'm taking all the pre-reqs for medical school alongside my fashion courses and doing great. Majoring in fashion, from what I've been told by everyone, is a great choice for medical school. It's all about diversity.

o_O Were/are girls not 'real' in other majors/classes?

Anyways....
I thought you were attending institutions like RCAD/RISD/etc. And of course diversity is important; there's a reason the MCAT is being revised.

Members don't see this ad :)
Transfer?

Really? I wish to be in one of your fashion classes. if necessary, i'll disguise myself as a woman to acquire access. Although that would lead to the whole feminist scandal etc.

I'm telling you to try and get across I've enjoyed a life outside of the library. As far as your NBA friend, my brothers a pitcher for the Red Sox, but I don't think it matters....

Now you also said when we are not studying for medical school but you put yourself as a attending...trolling a little?

Really? I wish to be in one of your fashion classes. if necessary, i'll disguise myself as a woman to acquire access. Although that would lead to the whole feminist scandal etc.

05-some-like-it-hot-screen.jpg

Finished my Animal Sciences degree (no, I did not choose it because I wanted to do veterinary medicine) in May and loved it! The hands-on component of our labs was better than any bio/chem/physics lab... we gave vaccines, drew blood, and took vitals among other things. Absolutely loved all of my classes and the department.

Why are you here talking about Veterinary medicine if you wanted to be a Medical doctor? I think that if you really wanted more of a hands-on experience with patients (and animals) you should pursue being a Veterinarian. Unfortunately, I could not because my parents had high standards for me. (See my previous posts - the first, second, or third one). Both of my parents are PhD graduates from top universities and are from China/France. So, as it turned out, they brought me up well (I was born in Taiwan) and I am on my way (almost done) with being an Attending Physician. In a couple more years, the few of us Asians here are opening up a hospital called Harvardo Asianos General hospital in Boston, MA. The grand opening begins August 31, 2016 with funds from philanthropists in Shanghai, China (notably billionaires).

:thumbup::naughty::thumbup:

really? I wish to be in one of your fashion classes. If necessary, i'll disguise myself as a woman to acquire access. Although that would lead to the whole feminist scandal etc.

+1

Why are you here talking about Veterinary medicine if you wanted to be a Medical doctor? I think that if you really wanted more of a hands-on experience with patients (and animals) you should pursue being a Veterinarian. Unfortunately, I could not because my parents had high standards for me. (See my previous posts - the first, second, or third one). Both of my parents are PhD graduates from top universities and are from China/France. So, as it turned out, they brought me up well (I was born in Taiwan) and I am on my way (almost done) with being an Attending Physician. In a couple more years, the few of us Asians here are opening up a hospital called Harvardo Asianos General hospital in Boston, MA. The grand opening begins August 31, 2016 with funds from philanthropists in Shanghai, China (notably billionaires).

You're hilaaaarious. I had the vet med anecdote in there because people are always like "Oh, Animal Sciences, you want to be a vet?" And I have to explain every time that, no, I've always been interested in human medicine (not vet med), wanted a science major, and really liked the ANSC department and classes. But that clarification seems to have been lost on you anyways... unless you're intentionally trolling hard.

Last edited:
Already graduated...Neuroscience major (concentration on computational neuro) and Russian Literature minor

Oooh...could I turn this into a graph of some sort? I'm sort of curious about the majors on SDN.

Biology, with a concentration in Cell & Molecular Biology, Minor in Chemistry

triple major in biology, chemistry, and german.

BS in bio, BA in chem (no thank you pchem ;) ) and german. finished on time too :thumbup:

I've already commented in this thread but who cares...

Biology major. Wish I would've majored in econ, history, international affairs, public affairs or something like that and minored in physio or something... Oh well.

Management Information Systems/Business Honors. The honors program is considered a second major at my school, idk why.

I could never find my degree in the drop-down lists in the primary app. I always have to select "Other" and spell out "Bachelor of Business Administration." #medschoolapplicantproblems